• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Repent of Your Sins" False gospel

• Members

If repentance of sin is not for the wicked, why did God command the wicked to repent of their sinful way and thoughts?  

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
(Isaiah 55:7 KJV)

Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
(Ezekiel 33:11 KJV)

• Members

WHAT IS IN THE MIND OF THE WICKED

And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
(Genesis 6:5 KJV)

The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
(Psalms 10:4 KJV)

Their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed innocent blood: their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity; wasting and destruction are in their paths.
(Isaiah 59:7 KJV)

Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
(Jeremiah 6:16 KJV)

Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it.
(Jeremiah 6:19 KJV)

For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
(Matthew 15:19 KJV)

The LORD knoweth the thoughts of man, that they are vanity.
(Psalms 94:11 KJV)

SAMECH. I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.
(Psalms 119:113 KJV)

The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words.
(Proverbs 15:26 KJV)

The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.
(Proverbs 24:9 KJV)

If thou hast done foolishly in lifting up thyself, or if thou hast thought evil, lay thine hand upon thy mouth.
(Proverbs 30:32 KJV)

O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?
(Jeremiah 4:14 KJV)

Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it.
(Jeremiah 6:19 KJV)

If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
(Jeremiah 18:8 KJV)

WHAT IS THE COMMAND OF GOD TO THE WICKED?

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
(Isaiah 55:7 KJV)

Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
(Ezekiel 33:11 KJV)

• Members

I like Brother James L. Melton's simplified view of the issue and the linked articles give a good balance view of repentance.

"REPENTANCE ISSUE SIMPLIFIED

There are generally three views of repentance, and only one is correct. Sure, one can offer up a dozen views, but they will all end up being very similar to one of the following . . .

The EMPTY-BELIEVE view. Just pray a prayer and make a profession. You get eternal life as a Christian because you professed to have changed your mind about believing, even though your sinful life never changes and you bear no fruits of the spirit.

The WORKS-BELIEVE view. You profess to believe on Christ, but you also mingle that belief with turning from your sins TO BE saved. The fruit becomes the root, which amounts to salvation by works.

The BIBLE-BELIEVING view. Seeing no hope in any self effort, you receive Christ and become a new creature, born of His Spirit to now live a new life with the fruits of the Spirit manifesting themselves as you grow in the Lord.

If you want it all stewed down to three simple explanations, there they are. If you need Scripture references, see our web site: http://www.biblebaptistpublications.org/doctrineofrepentance.html?fbclid=IwAR2A-HM8WkpDW1NgF5gPqQV-0yH7PngpB1h8g5ustUzq3xoL8pQ4NrgAcHI "

• Members

Luke 18:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Sin

Righteousness

Judgement

You must deal with "sin, rigteousness and judgement". You must turn to God from your sin, knowing that God is going to judge you in Hell and that you DESERVE it. . I've heard it put like "taking God's side against yourself".

• 3 months later...
  • Members
On 12/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, heartstrings said:

As a personal testimony, I myself did not repent of a list of sins, or any specific sin that I recall. I DID repent of being what I was: a low-down sinner. Repentence, in salvation, is simply turning to Jesus from sin and self.

Same here.