• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Repent of Your Sins" False gospel

• Members
On 6/30/2017 at 6:50 AM, TheSword1227 said:

Read the story of Cornelius. Peter did not want to go to this man's house because he was still keeping the law refusing to touch anything unclean, but God had to open his eyes about the Gentiles.

Like me, Peter was a block head at times.  Once he was sorted out, he did not hesitate to serve the Lord.  I think you're rightly dividing too much.  Like I said before, these statements of yours mimic the doctrines of protestant churches like Calvary and Ruckman.

• Members
12 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Like me, Peter was a block head at times.  Once he was sorted out, he did not hesitate to serve the Lord.  I think you're rightly dividing too much.  Like I said before, these statements of yours mimic the doctrines of protestant churches like Calvary and Ruckman.

So what is your understanding of those teachings.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Your spirit is saved because you have Holy Spirit in you, not because of repentance prayer. Gal.3:2 "This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?" FAITH is almost omitted in Salvation doctrine, and unfortunately "repentance prayer" used instead of "possession of Holy Spirit". Faith in what? we have to direct our discussion about salvation toward FAITH. "How to receive Holy Spirit?" is better question in order to get very clear answers for "How to be saved?" I think study of "Born of God" doctrine, manifested in John 3:1-21 will take away all confusions about salvation. You might find it useful at my page about John 3:1-21 at http://foru.ru/slovo.63496.5.html

Edited by Vladimir

• Members

CONFUSIONS ARE GOING ON FOR 500 YEARS BETWEEN "SALVATION OF SPIRIT" (ONE TIME DEAL AT THE EVENT OF "BORN FROM ABOVE" ) AND CONTINUING WORK TOWARD "SOUL SALVATION" FROM ITS SINS (UNTIL DEATH OF ANY BODY). We need to clear out this confusion. No living soul had been completely saved from sins except Jesus Christ had no sin at all ever. Apostle Paul was not free from sins of his soul. James too etc.
I took it from Bible, by the way. It mentioned two persons to work on soul salvation. Do not confuse salvation of soul and salvation of spirit.
 Here is Bible, Phil 2:
12 Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
 13 For it is God who works in you to will and to act on behalf of His good pleasure.…
One more (Bible verse) about efforts of the two:
Matthew 11:28-30New King James Version (NKJV)
 "28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

• Members

I have a question.

My Mother is not saved, my Pastor visited her years ago to talk to her about being saved. She said she does not want to be saved. My Pastor asked her why? She said "I like my lifestyle too much to get saved". My question is this. In my mother's situation, does my Mother have to repent of her sin to be saved? 

• Members

The Psalmist once said, "If I regard iniquity in mine heart, the LORD will not hear me."

I believe that those who "love their lifestyle" too much to be willing to trun from it, have no chance of Salvation until they come to the place that they understand that they are totally lost in that lifestyle. God resists the proud, but gives more grace to the humble.

• Members
On August 19, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Jordan Kurecki said:

I have a question.

My Mother is not saved, my Pastor visited her years ago to talk to her about being saved. She said she does not want to be saved. My Pastor asked her why? She said "I like my lifestyle too much to get saved". My question is this. In my mother's situation, does my Mother have to repent of her sin to be saved? 

No. Turning from her sin can never save, only by trusting the Gospel (sinless life, death, burial & bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ) can she be saved.  And everyone gets saved the same way. 

"For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."...John 1:17

• Members

Our Lord never said (to us) to repent of our sins. The Book of Revelation is the only book in the NT that mentions repentance of sins (specific deeds or actions) and is directed to the harlot and those who remain during the tribulation.

In the case of Jordan's mother as with many people who are given the Scriptural Gospel, she understands from the Spirit of God that she will have a transformed life if she truly believes (no doubt Jordan's testimony has assisted with that). Much better to give the whole truth over time with tears instead of the cost counting, fake 123 gospel which saves no one.

Tares (religious lost who are repeatedly assured of their salvation by false teachers) outnumber wheat 3:1 in most fundamental churches because of this cheapening. These same churches report thousands saved with 10 baptized because of this perversion.

"But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God and do works meet for repentance. Acts 26:20"

"For Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation, not to be repented of."

The Bible teaches secret fasting and prayer in cases like this which carry deep, personal burden. Paul was distraught over his own people and their lost state and lead many to salvation by intercessory prayer and fasting. Time and again as people were saved in the NT, they went to warn their own houses first. Jesus taught importunity if you want God's ear in hard matters such as this. (Luke 11). Won't be easy and will actually be the most difficult thing you will ever do. Not by words of fleshly wisdom but by His Spirit. How do we get the Spirit involved? By obeying Luke 11. Results will be based on the amount of sincere effort that is put into it (God's promise). 

Best to push yourself now than to suffer the tears of regret during the millennium.

• Members

Salvation happens in an instant. When one BELIEVES on the work that JESUS did to save us. 

Now, unless a person can look in the mirror and see that they are a sinner, and as a result, deserving of Hell, they will NEVER come to believe on Christ & receive salvation because they will not understand what they need Saving from. That is an issue of pride. When one thinks that their own good deeds, and turning from/no longer committing sin (whether it be lying, stealing, fornication, covetousness, etc..) is required for salvation, that is a works-based false Gospel.

A person can turn from many sins but NOBODY can turn from EVERY sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves. Who among us can say , that, because they are saved , they no longer commit ANY sin?

Even AFTER salvation, you will sin. Being saved does NOT mean you will never sin again. It just means that you are trusting that Jesus Christ ALREADY paid the penalty to God for your sins (past present AND future) through HIS WORK on the cross & instead of receiving the punishment we deserve(Hell), we believe the Gospel & receive salvation(Heaven) as a free gift by the grace of God, who is merciful.

Am I promoting sin? Absolutely not; I hate sin.

Do I work as hard as possible to do good deeds & repent anyway? Of course. Even though I am indwelled w/the Holy Spirit I am still in this human body of flesh, and while my spirit is willing, my flesh is weak.

i still do try to get sin out of my life, not so that I can get saved, but because I AM saved. God will never take away my salvation, but He WILL chasten me as His child when I sin. And I won't suffer the consequences in the next life, but I will suffer those consequences in THIS life.

• Members

Repentance and Faith are two sides of the same coin.  One cannot get saved unless they make repentance to God and put their faith in Jesus Christ.  The machinations of the hyper-dispensationalists is not bible.

• Members
On 6/25/2017 at 9:51 AM, BabeinChrist said:

Actually, the Jews DID kill Christ. But that's another subject.

Actually the Romans killed Christ.  The Jewish leaders handed Christ over to the Romans to be crucified.  Crucifixion was the means of capital punishment which the Romans employed.  Christ died for the entire world. (John 3:16).  Our sin put Christ on the cross.  Blaming the Jews for killing Christ is pretty much a Roman Catholic statement.  I am an ethnic Jew and a born again Christian and I remember when our family was called "Christ Killers" (and other derogatory statements that Jews were called) until I graduated High School in 1961.

Yes, you are correct about this being another subject.

Back to the topic of Repentance.  Repentance defined by David Cloud and John R. Rice. (Way of Life Encyclopedia: Repentance)

Bible repentance means a turning to God and a change of mind toward God that results in a change of life (Mt 3:1-2; Lu 5:32; 13:1-3; 18:13; Ac 2:38; 5:31; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20; 2Pe 3:9). (David Cloud)

"To repent literally means to have a change of mind or spirit toward God and toward sin. It means to turn from your sins, earnestly, with all your heart, and trust in Jesus Christ to save you. You can see, then, how the man who believes in Christ repents and the man who repents believes in Christ. The jailer repented when he turned from sin to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ" (John R. Rice, What Must I Do to Be Saved?).

• Members
5 minutes ago, LindaR said:

Actually the Romans killed Christ.  The Jewish leaders handed Christ over to the Romans to be crucified.  Crucifixion was the means of capital punishment which the Romans employed.  Christ died for the entire world. (John 3:16).  Our sin put Christ on the cross.  Blaming the Jews for killing Christ is pretty much a Roman Catholic statement.  I am an ethnic Jew and a born again Christian and I remember when our family was called "Christ Killers" (and other derogatory statements that Jews were called) until I graduated High School in 1961.

Back to the topic of Repentance.  Repentance defined by David Cloud and John R. Rice. (Way of Life Encyclopedia: Repentance)

Bible repentance means a turning to God and a change of mind toward God that results in a change of life (Mt 3:1-2; Lu 5:32; 13:1-3; 18:13; Ac 2:38; 5:31; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20; 2Pe 3:9). (David Cloud)

"To repent literally means to have a change of mind or spirit toward God and toward sin. It means to turn from your sins, earnestly, with all your heart, and trust in Jesus Christ to save you. You can see, then, how the man who believes in Christ repents and the man who repents believes in Christ. The jailer repented when he turned from sin to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ" (John R. Rice, What Must I Do to Be Saved?).

Nobody killed Christ.

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

• Moderators
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, BabeinChrist said:

a Actually, the Jews DID kill Christ. But that's another subject.

13 hours ago, LindaR said:

Actually the Romans killed Christ.  

13 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Nobody killed Christ.

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

If we want to be technical: Jesus chose to come to die. He placed Himself in a position for the Jews to arrest Him and demand His death of the Romans. He did not attempt (physically nor verbally) to prevent the Romans from nailing Him to the cross. He only did this to provide "...himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time."

So: nobody took His life, He gave it of Himself at the hands of His creation. Romans: GUILTY. Jews: GUILTY. The rest of us: GUITY.

Jesus: GUILTY -- not of sin but of caring so much for the whole sorry lot. In exchange we give a pretty lousy excuse  for gratitude which is why we don't strive any harder against sin than we do.

• Members
21 hours ago, LindaR said:

How is that a Roman Catholic statement?

Because I am NOT a Roman Catholic, but I do believe the KJV to be the Word of God. And of course Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, but the Jews hated Christ & one cannot read the Bible without noticing that.

Pontius Pilate even washed his hands and declared that he is innocent of the blood of this just man.

To which the Jews shouted, "His blood be upon us and our children".  So yes, they hated Christ.

i believe the Bible, not Zionist ideology.

what do you mean you are an "ethnic Jew"? They were scattered and I would think that everyone has a bit of "Jew" in them. 

• Members

John 10:17-18 -- "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself.  I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.  This commandment have I received of my Father."

Acts 2:22-24 -- "Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it."

Acts 4:26-28 -- "The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.  For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, for to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done."