• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Is Wrong With Messianic Judaism?

• Members

In short, many of them (I can't say all of them, because I don't know that)...many of them adopt many aspects of the Mosaic law as requirements for holy living; thereby, mixing grace with works.

I think that probably spurned from their desire to keep their Jewish heritage and identity in addition to accepting Christ. However, as man is prone to do...outward observances tend to overtake the inward.

• Members
2 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

In short, many of them (I can't say all of them, because I don't know that)...many of them adopt many aspects of the Mosaic law as requirements for holy living; thereby, mixing grace with works.

I think that probably spurned from their desire to keep their Jewish heritage and identity in addition to accepting Christ. However, as man is prone to do...outward observances tend to overtake the inward.

But they are still saved, right? Or have they fallen from grace?

• Members

If they originally trusted in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection alone for their salvation, I would say that they're saved. Some may have been truly saved, but then under the influence of false teaching, later adopted the law as a necessity. It's an "iffy" situation.

I don't believe a true believer can fall from grace; whereas, to "fall from grace" means that they lose their salvation.

However, under those circumstances where a true believer may have been influenced by false teaching, they (or their church) will be bringing in new converts. If those new converts trust in any amount of the law (in addition to Christ), I don't see how they could be truly saved. For, they are resting their salvation on both Christ and the works of the law.

Again, I'm not saying that all Messianic Jews are this way, but it does seem to be gaining momentum in that "movement".

• Members
12 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I agree. I know a Jewish lady who is Roman Catholic. She refers to herself as a Messianic Jew and does not call herself a Christian because she fears losing her Jewish Identity which I think is understandable. Her attraction to Roman Catholicism seems to be based on the similarities between the 2 religions. Both having a priesthood down to the robes and ceremony.  The rituals and canon laws of the Catholic church such as abstaining from meat on certain days sounds very Jewish.

Is being a Hebrew Catholic an oxymoron, or not, since Roman Catholicism is also a works based religion?

• Moderators

When applied properly, they aren't bad, or even false. Some follow the pattern of Paul: keeping the law, not for the sake of the law, but to better reach other Jews. Religious Jews, like in Paul's day, will often reject much contact with Christians because they are seen as unclean: our food, and drink, the same things in Christ's day; this is why the Lord first lifted the food restrictions when peter went to preach to Cornelius-it was a major wall of separation that even Peter got in trouble for by the other Jewish believers in Jerusalem, until he explained what the Lord did. But those who hold to such things still have that wall in place. So, like Paul, they are willing to maintain ceremonial and legalistic cleanliness, so as to reach their Jewish brethren in the flesh. Like Jews for Jesus-they seem to understand they need not keep the laws or feasts, but do so to be able to maintain an acceptable presence among the Jews, and thus, reach them with Christ.

• Members

I wonder how well that worked for Paul trying to win over the Jews when they knew who he was: the apostle of the Gentiles. Did he really keep the law, or did he just go to synagogues because he wanted the opportunity to preach the Gospel to them? He taught so much against law keeping.

My wife, a former Mormon, stayed in the Mormon church for a while hoping to befriend some and then witness. It never did much good. They considered her an apostate  and she was eventually "blacklisted," which means our house was marked for the Missionaries to avoid whenever they were in town.

Edited by TheSword1227

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, TheSword1227 said:

I wonder how well that worked for Paul trying to win over the Jews when they knew who he was: the apostle of the Gentiles. Did he really keep the law, or did he just go to synagogues because he wanted the opportunity to preach the Gospel to them? He taught so much against law keeping.

My wife, a former Mormon, stayed in the Mormon church for a while hoping to befriend some and then witness. It never did much good. They considered her an apostate  and she was eventually "blacklisted," which means our house was marked for the Missionaries to avoid whenever they were in town.

Ultimately it went poorly, but that's because the Jews knew who he was and rejected him, but they had to lie about it to do so. P{aul actually ritually shaved his head to show himself purified, and even had TImothy do the same, so he (Paul), could go to the temple. Remember, he said, with the Jews he would be as a Jew so he might reach some of the Jews. So apparently there was some fruit.

The difference with the Mormons, is that Judaism IS true-just passed away, while Mormonism is false from its inception, like Catholicism or JWs and they should be removed from immediately upon conversion to true Christianity.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

Ultimately it went poorly, but that's because the Jews knew who he was and rejected him, but they had to lie about it to do so. P{aul actually ritually shaved his head to show himself purified, and even had TImothy do the same, so he (Paul), could go to the temple. Remember, he said, with the Jews he would be as a Jew so he might reach some of the Jews. So apparently there was some fruit.

The difference with the Mormons, is that Judaism IS true-just passed away, while Mormonism is false from its inception, like Catholicism or JWs and they should be removed from immediately upon conversion to true Christianity.

I agree. Good post.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, TheSword1227 said:

Why is Messianic Judaism considered a false Religion?

2 main reasons would be that some of them see Jesus as being the Messiah, but not being God, and others see the needs to still observe all of the OT feasts and festivals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

A friend of mine who is and has always been IFB, married a supposedly saved man from the church in Indiana, (Hyles).  About 3 years ago they married. They courted for 3 full years before marriage. Now he's decides to be a Messianic jew and do all the kosher food and whatever else they observe. Her family thinks he was never saved to begin with to so easily have fallen into their traps.

• Members

I don't know any Messianic Jews, so I cannot commenet on them.

I have met a couple who I was told were Messianic Christians. Does anyone know what they believe?  They lived in Israel for a while, and then worked for Prayer for Israel as accountantas. The wife introduced Davidic Dancing ito her church, I was told.

• Members

I checked earlier, and a friend of mine who had an extensive site exposing the people, doctrines, etc. of messianic judaism (seekgod.ca) seems to have gone ofline. For every jewish person that truly trusts the Lord Jesus Christ alone for salvation, we can praise God; however, when they start referring to themselves as messianic jews, it ususally means they are adopting the works-based beliefs and practices. There are many groups and teachers of them that have a secret or special name of God (no joke - each one slightly different), many deny the deity and works of Christ, many have their own special translation of the Bible (whether just the OT, including a Hebrew NT, adding teachings of their various teachers, etc.).

The NT pattern is a true believer being added to a local church (not a synagogue) and following the whole preserved Word of God in light of the New Testament (not a teacher or rabbi).