• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Scripture shows and I am sure I am forgetting some info:

3 types of angel, if you count archangels separate from standard cherubs

individually created vice procreation

sexually genderless not having reproductive organs

1/3 of their numbers are fallen

have free will just like man

Powerful but of less stature to God than man since we will judge them.

Why, what are you hearing?

• Moderators

OKay, at the risk of sounding like I'm straining at a gnat, are cherubim and seraphim actually angels? The definition of an angel is a messenger-there seems to be those who are messengers, to include archangels, (or at least Gabriel), but the cherubim and seraphim stand at the foot of the throne of God and serve Him directly. As far as I know they don't do messenger work, do they? Not sure what the Cherubim were doing in Ezekiel 1, but they didn't seem to be giving any messages to Ezekiel.

Or is it proper to just call them all 'angels'?

• Members
2 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

OKay, at the risk of sounding like I'm straining at a gnat, are cherubim and seraphim actually angels? The definition of an angel is a messenger-there seems to be those who are messengers, to include archangels, (or at least Gabriel), but the cherubim and seraphim stand at the foot of the throne of God and serve Him directly. As far as I know they don't do messenger work, do they? Not sure what the Cherubim were doing in Ezekiel 1, but they didn't seem to be giving any messages to Ezekiel.

Or is it proper to just call them all 'angels'?

Good question?

• Members
19 hours ago, wretched said:

Scripture shows and I am sure I am forgetting some info:

3 types of angel, if you count archangels separate from standard cherubs

individually created vice procreation

sexually genderless not having reproductive organs

1/3 of their numbers are fallen

have free will just like man

Powerful but of less stature to God than man since we will judge them.

Why, what are you hearing?

It seems that everywhere I go there are angel figurines etc.  There seems to be a lot of angel worship around.  People teach their kids that their dead loved ones are angels in heaven.Tatoos of dead loved ones with angel wings.  Armies of angels guarding us and so forth.     What is their earthly ministry to the Christians today?  

• Members
26 minutes ago, Baptistsenior said:

It seems that everywhere I go there are angel figurines etc.  There seems to be a lot of angel worship around.  People teach their kids that their dead loved ones are angels in heaven.Tatoos of dead loved ones with angel wings.  Armies of angels guarding us and so forth.     What is their earthly ministry to the Christians today?  

According to NT Scriptures I see little if any involvement of angels with us during the church age which is of course consistent with the doctrine of the indwelling Spirit. I gather from the OT, Gospels and Revelation that God uses them for His own bidding episodically now (which we can not currently grasp, see or understand I reckon) but will have many missions for them in the times to come according to prophetic Scripture.

There is a warning against the worship of angels in Colossians 2:18

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

There is also one mention of Angels being assigned to children which intimates "guardian" type angels. This is only mentioned pertaining to children however:

Matt 18: 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

6  But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

10  Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Not much, but this is all I got anyway.....

• Members

Good catch

4 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

There is one thing that I know of; in which, angels are involved with us today...

(Hebrews 1:14) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

They minister for us. How? I'm not sure. 

• Members
1 hour ago, wretched said:

According to NT Scriptures I see little if any involvement of angels with us during the church age which is of course consistent with the doctrine of the indwelling Spirit. I gather from the OT, Gospels and Revelation that God uses them for His own bidding episodically now (which we can not currently grasp, see or understand I reckon) but will have many missions for them in the times to come according to prophetic Scripture.

There is a warning against the worship of angels in Colossians 2:18

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

There is also one mention of Angels being assigned to children which intimates "guardian" type angels. This is only mentioned pertaining to children however:

Matt 18: 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

6  But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

10  Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Not much, but this is all I got anyway.....

Lot's of good info.  I know many people that believe the stories in the diary of Anne Franks about the angels showing up as people surrounding her house.  I never believed that story.  Not that God can't use his angels for what purpose he wants, just cause I've never seen that stuff in the Bible

• Moderators

I suspect we aren't given a whole lot of information on angels, specifically, because of man's tendency toward worshiping such supernatural beings, hence the warning about it. And maybe not just for our edification, but for the sake OF the angels themselves, since they seem to have some amount of free will, and if men were to fall into much worship of angels, they might themselves fall to pride, as others have.

• Members
32 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

There is one thing that I know of; in which, angels are involved with us today...

(Hebrews 1:14) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

They minister for us. How? I'm not sure. 

Guess it's time for a word study on Angels.    

• Members
10 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

I suspect we aren't given a whole lot of information on angels, specifically, because of man's tendency toward worshiping such supernatural beings, hence the warning about it. And maybe not just for our edification, but for the sake OF the angels themselves, since they seem to have some amount of free will, and if men were to fall into much worship of angels, they might themselves fall to pride, as others have.

Great perspective.  Never thought about their ability to be manipulated by pride 

• Members

I had been told in the past that Angels don't sing.

In a basic search of the Bible you don't see the words "Angel" and "Sing", "Singing", "Song", etc in the Bible.

You do hear them saying things, and shouting things, but I am yet to find a verse which definitively indicates them singing.

I was really surprised about it when I was told, but as yet I have not found a verse to contradict it.

So maybe the thing about Angels singing is just an assumption?

Anyone able to show Angels actually singing?

Even the first passage we all think of doesn't say "Singing"!

Luke 2:11-14
(11)  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
(12)  And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
(13)  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
(14)  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

(It is always something that interested me since I was first told, but it is hardly an important point, so I have never done a deep and conclusive study of it.)