• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Look Ma, No Rod, No Staff

• Members

I'm almost certain that a "rod and staff", as used by Old Testament Middle Eastern shepherds, was most likely a "comfort" to the shepherd instead of the sheep. This is me trying top walk in the pasture as my "lead sheep" (actually a pet) constantly crosses in front of me against my legs. I have to bump her with my knees to keep from tripping and falling. I will try to post another video later, to show you the difference it makes when I carry a staff.

However, I have to admit; Sissy and Honeybun seem to enjoy using the staff for a scratching post. 

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

1 Samuel 17

34And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock: 35And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him. 

This, no doubt, was either a sick, weak lion and bear, or a supernatural event. I've always believed it was the latter. Naturally speaking, there is no way a human being can kill a lion, a bear with a stick. It just ain't happening. These type predators typically run faster than any human track star; so a non-superhuman shepherd isn't even going to get close enough to hit a lion, bear, or even a wolf with a stick. Bow and arrow, or sling quite possibly, but not a rod or staff. I just can't see it.

I think the staff (meaning "support") was primarily used to steady the shepherd as he traversed the rough, hilly, rocky terrain. I believe the "rod" was used to goad the sheep and could also be used to, yes, protect the shepherd from the ram/s. If you're out in an open grassland, with no trees or anything the hide behind when the ram gets onery, it really comes in handy. I have had to use mine for that on many occasions but, usually all I had to do was look at him and raise it. They watch your eyes and respect the stick.