• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ah...the joys of owning a home...

• Members

Quote #2 - $6500 or $6800 depending on which "grade" of shingle used.

This guy (today) only uses Owens Corning...which is the best from what little research I've done.

The first guy said they only use GAF Timberline shingles. Those usually were third or fourth best from what I saw.Ā Anyone have any input on that?Ā 

I'm not sure if I'll get another quote since both quotes were in the same price range.

Any advice would be appreciated. Even though we hope to sell the house, I feel that getting the better shingles would be the right thing to do so the (possible) future buyer would benefit.

AndĀ as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

• Members
On 2017-6-7 at 11:21 PM, DaveW said:

Two pretty houses there.

Over here nobody uses shingles.

Clay or cement roofing tiles, or metal roofing.

Works where we are.

Similar here. Ā Clay tiles were the old way, but I don't think you can get them now. Ā Concrete tiles are usual, but we als have slate roofs. Ā Flat roofs would be Ā either felt or fibreglass. In our church we had a leak in the roof over the rear hall. Ā We thought it was just one broken or misplaced tile, but when the roofers came they found a number of cracked tiles. They took a lot of tiles off up to the ridge and replaced them and reset the ridge. Ā It cost Ā£360.00

• Members
1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

Love the carport (that's what we call them down here), great for working and eating outside under cover from the sun and afternoon showers, besides keeping the autos! Ā 

We call 'em carports in Georgia too. I love it...and much prefer that over an actual enclosed garage.Ā 

When we bought the house, the original owners had enclosed the front porch and used it as a hot tub room. I opened it back up not long after we bought it.

• Members
12 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

We haven't made it to build a carport yet, but I'm with y'all. If I had a 'garage' it would quickly end up as another toolshed.

Haha! Ain't that the truth...although...the carport was my work space when I was installing hardwood throughout the house. It kept me honest though. Had to take the tools out and bring them in every day until it was finished.Ā :4_2_204v::laugh:

• Members

My daughter has found a house in Ashford which has an anex which we could have. Ā We will have to sell both ourĀ houses to buy it. Ā We have done that befote over 40 years ago when we bought a house with my mother in law. Ā That was very stressful and we were that much younger then. But if it is the Lord's will it will work.

Edited by Invicta

• Moderators
On 2017-06-07 at 4:38 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

Oh dear...I just realized something...

Several months ago, the heat and air system where I work had to be replaced. About a month later, we had to replace our H&AĀ at home.

Also several months ago, we had to have the roof replaced where I work ($78,000). Now, we need a new one at our home.

Hmmm...I'm starting to see a trend here, and I'm not liking it! PerhapsĀ I need to find another job? Ā :15_1_63:

Ā Considering the onlyĀ common denominator is youā€¦ I don't think it'll help. :P