• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Non Protestant Baptists

• Members
17 hours ago, swathdiver said:

They may call themselves Baptist but an Arminian is not a Baptist.  Same with the Calvanist which is more Presbyterian/Protestant.  

I agree.  It would be interesting to find out which stream all the different Baptists come from.   I did have a list once of what came from where that went good with the Trail of Blood.

Edited by Baptistsenior

• Administrators

James Bellar did a stellar job of recording the history of Baptists here in America in America in Crimson Red. It is available via Amazon. He wrote a number of other books re: Baptists as well. You could probably do a search of his name on Amazon for other books. He went to be with the Lord  a few years back so is not, of course, writing any more. I can't find the site where his other books were available. Most likely with him gone they didn't keep it up.  He had a workbook that was college level that had to do with the history of Baptists.

Also, check out Shiloh Films. It is a local church filming ministry. They are creating films that are designed to teach the history of Baptists in America - and it's very interesting to see how the Baptists influenced our founding.  The pastor of the church there is Mac Woody. If you contact him, he might be able to help with your quest.

I found the workbook: http://books.fundamentalbaptistbooks.com/index.php?act=cart-productdetail&pid=1&ProductID=17564

• Members
4 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

James Bellar did a stellar job of recording the history of Baptists here in America in America in Crimson Red. It is available via Amazon. He wrote a number of other books re: Baptists as well. You could probably do a search of his name on Amazon for other books. He went to be with the Lord  a few years back so is not, of course, writing any more. I can't find the site where his other books were available. Most likely with him gone they didn't keep it up.  He had a workbook that was college level that had to do with the history of Baptists.

Also, check out Shiloh Films. It is a local church filming ministry. They are creating films that are designed to teach the history of Baptists in America - and it's very interesting to see how the Baptists influenced our founding.  The pastor of the church there is Mac Woody. If you contact him, he might be able to help with your quest.

I found the workbook: http://books.fundamentalbaptistbooks.com/index.php?act=cart-productdetail&pid=1&ProductID=17564

Those are some good materials you mention. I own them all. :)

• Members
On 6/3/2017 at 11:45 AM, HappyChristian said:

I just found that I have The Coming Destruction of the Baptist People by James Beller sitting on my bookshelf.  What a good read 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Baptistsenior said:

I just found that I have The Coming Destruction of the Baptist People by James Beller sitting on my bookshelf.  What a good read 

It is, isn't it? Reading that book really woke me up to the fact that we have been misled about a lot of our history. It set me on a road of re-discovery about our founding. Finding out that one of my gggggrandfathers was involved in religious liberty was a result, and knowing what I now know about the Baptists in our history causes me to want to learn more. 

• Members
39 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

It is, isn't it? Reading that book really woke me up to the fact that we have been misled about a lot of our history. It set me on a road of re-discovery about our founding. Finding out that one of my gggggrandfathers was involved in religious liberty was a result, and knowing what I now know about the Baptists in our history causes me to want to learn more. 

It does get so interesting.  My ancestors were Hueguenots who fled from France and I had many Baptist preachers in Scotland and Canada  History comes alive when family is involved.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Baptistsenior said:

It does get so interesting.  My ancestors were Hueguenots who fled from France and I had many Baptist preachers in Scotland and Canada  History comes alive when family is involved.

That's cool! My husband's ancestors were also Hueguenots! The family name then was DePris. DePriest was taken by the ancestor who came here to the states. 

I'm homeschooling my niece and have gotten her a wee bit interested in history because of our forefather (John Crandall) as well as others in our family tree (George Washington, for one). I do love to learn about history!

Have you done a study on Hueguenots? I've tried to find materials and haven't been able to.

• Members
1 minute ago, HappyChristian said:

That's cool! My husband's ancestors were also Hueguenots! The family name then was DePris. DePriest was taken by the ancestor who came here to the states. 

I'm homeschooling my niece and have gotten her a wee bit interested in history because of our forefather (John Crandall) as well as others in our family tree (George Washington, for one). I do love to learn about history!

Have you done a study on Hueguenots? I've tried to find materials and haven't been able to.

I found alittle online about them.  My Pastor (who is a history buff) tells me they were Baptist but the internet says protestant.  

• Administrators

Here in the US, when you join the military the question is asked, "what religion are you?" If you say Baptist they will always list you as Protestant. They only consider Catholic and Protestant.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Baptistsenior said:

I found alittle online about them.  My Pastor (who is a history buff) tells me they were Baptist but the internet says protestant.  

I think they actually leaned more toward Puritanism. In the northern part of France, Huguenots were Catholics who left the RCC and became part of the Reformed movement (which is what the Puritans were and what ended up being Anglican/Episcopalian). In the southern part of France, Jews became Huguenots to protect themselves from persecution. Funny things is, Huguenots were persecuted simply on the basis of not being Catholic.

• Members
16 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Here in the US, when you join the military the question is asked, "what religion are you?" If you say Baptist they will always list you as Protestant. They only consider Catholic and Protestant.

Jim I didn't realize they still do that.  I remember when you had to fill that out on many forms.    The Baptists will always be clumped in with the catholics  in the eyes of the world