Online Baptist
  • Welcome Guest

Tired of all the fighting that goes on in facebook groups? Are you ready for a community where you can talk about things of God and the Bible without getting branded a heretic? Well, we are glad you found us. Why don't you give us a try and see how friendly and different we are. - BroMatt

Question

4 hours ago, Celina Capalad said:

Thanks for this. 
I researched about all those churches and they really are far from Manila. 
I'll try to find one again. :) 

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. :) 

Yes, they are far but let me ask you this, how far will you go to serve the Lord?  1 mile?  5 miles?  Or Anywhere on Earth that He leads you to?

For me and my family it was sixty miles.  So far.  

There was a pastor near here who walked 23 miles each way to his church in the 1880s. In 1813, Samuel Eyles Pierce said he walked to London then caught the stage to Maidstone on Christmas Eve, then he walked  26 miles to Faversham, preached twice the following day, then three times the day after, "it beeing the Lord's Day", then walked about 10 miles to Canterbury for the New Year.  5 years later Samuel founded a Baptist Church in Faversham.

Edited by Invicta

On 5/26/2017 at 9:21 AM, heartstrings said:

I

I have attended one Missionary Baptist church in the area which is King James only and they seem sound, but they are about 40 minutes away. I don't know of any "General Baptists" around here so I don't know anything about them.

General Baptists are a slightly more moderate version of Free Will Baptists.

A Turkish sheep buyer/customer of mine once asked me "why so many churches" (in the USA)? Regrettably, I didn't have an immediate answer for him. Perhaps what he meant was "why so many denominations?" or "religions?". But after some thought, my answer is "freedom". Unlike some countries, the USA we have freedom to believe any way and worship any way we choose as long as it doesn't involve harming others. Of course, some churches DO harm others emotionally and spiritually but I'll save that for another discussion. The reason we have so many "Baptist" churches is because people can't agree on simple doctrines. But the Bible tells us there will be divisions and heresies and all that stuff so it should be no surprise.

I am in this very situation. I moved to an area that has 70+ Independent Baptist Churches, one of which came highly recommended by my then and still current pastor.

I attended the church for 3 months, every service. My family got involved in work days and other areas of the church. We were rejected because we were Northerners in a Southern church. No one spoke to us, fellowshipped with us or even learned our name (Including the Associate Pastor and his wife). We left the church to begin our search for a church. 72 churches later, we still have not found a church I would attend. Our criteria is simple

1. Good Preaching (This one is a must - Out of 72 churches, maybe 3 have had good preaching. A lot of yelling about the Bible, but no preaching)
2. Good Music (Conservative, God honoring) - Most of the churches had the whole church go to the Choir and sing 4 or 5 songs and 1 congregational song. Must be a southern thing as it is very consistent, but unfortunately a visitor cannot participate in the worship of God through music.
3. Friendliness (More than just saying hello and thank you for coming) - Out of 72 churches, 1 or 2 were friendly. None made us feel welcome once they found out we were Northerners.

So what have we decided to do after 4 years without a church. We are moving. It is sad to say that there are few good churches in the "Bible Belt", but I have lived in 2 cities in North Carolina for the last 8 years and have found 1 church that I would classify as a good church out of over 200 visited.

For the last 4 years we have either driven the hour and a half to church (Calvary Baptist Church - King, NC) or we have watched them live on Facebook.

As for other churches we would consider - My daughter goes to a Southern Baptist since there are no good churches in her part of NC either. It's the best of the worst. The pastor is an older pastor who preaches the Word of God, the church is friendly, but the music is more contemporary. We have visited a couple Southern Baptists, but the ones in our area the preaching is no good.

There is a Methodist church and a non-denominational church my neighbors go to. They claim their churches preach verse by verse and are super friendly. I have considered going, but I struggle know that the churches doctrinal statements online are not in alignment with my positions on major doctrine, which is why we have not gone.

It's been a tough 4 years, but it is time to move.

There are several IFB churches around, so I don't have a problem of what to do if one wasn't near.

The Southern Baptists (SBC) are the largest Protestant denomination in America.  And, many of these churches are practically indistinguishable form IFB churches.  But, sadly, that's changing.  While the KJV has been very common in SBC churches, the SBC has recently sponsored a new translation (Christian Standard Bible)  which completely breaks with the KJV tradition, and is otherwise abominable.  The SBC just elected a new president, one that is soft on social issues and says he wants more women in church leadership. 

When we moved here, we were kind of in that situation. There is a church in town that is KJB. But, sadly, water under the bridge with my folks and the pastor precluded our attending there. We traveled over 30 minutes (not far, I know) to the church my parents joined in 2008. The pastor had gone to glory, and so there were visiting men preaching. My husband was asked to preach only once: when the guest speaker took ill on Sunday morning. 

That particular guest preacher began heavily correcting the Bible. Because, you know, he's more intelligent than the entire group of translators were. It was getting my hubs more and more upset (me, too, but he's the decider). Then there was a situation in which worldliness was accepted in the church, and when my husband tried to deal with it, things got weird. It all stemmed from the pastor's widow actually functioning as pastor (without preaching).

So we left there and visited a church that was actually about 10 minutes closer. They were also without a pastor. But this was clearly where God wants us - my husband has been pastor there for over a year now. Still spiritual growth needed, but we see it weekly. And physical growth is beginning.

Celina, I don't know how far those churches are from you, and I know travel there is much harder there in the Philippines. But traveling is sometimes a necessary thing.

And swath is correct: Baptists were never part of the RCC and so are not protestant. 

On 5/25/2017 at 2:47 PM, Baptistsenior said:

If you could not find an IFB church in your area, what kind of Baptist churches would you never attend?   

One that was into Charasmatic Theology mixing with Baptist theology!

In the small town my church is in (population 7,500) there is a large SBC church by our towns standards, Large building and large congregation. Something strange has happened to this church recently. I don't know any of the members so can't ask about this.

It seemed like all of a sudden their sign changed, it used to say First Southern Baptist Church. The change now reads: Cross Point Community Church. Then, at the very bottom right corned of the sign, in very small print the text says sbc in lower case.

I am left wondering if this is a Community Church takeover or if it is something new that the SBC is implementing now. I post this here  to see if anyone else has seen anything like what I described in their area, or knows anything about other SBC churches that have gone this way.

Someone mentioned an IFB church handing out their Doctrinal Statement of Faith to Newcomers to the church so they could get familiarized with their beliefs. I suppose it would be several pages in length. One of the church members referred to all denominational churches as wood, hay, stubble; while his church was built on gold, silver, and precious stones. 

Edited by (Omega)
Grammar and Punctuation

On 5/16/2018 at 6:01 AM, TheSword1227 said:

Not to offend anyone, but personally I think It's silly to have so many different Baptist churches. Is this what God would want?

It's an evil.  God never intended for there to be such factions.  Along a similar vein, President George Washington said that political parties are an evil too.  Both are right.

I went to a Yankee church once and they welcomed us with open arms and knew the south was right too!  LOL  Being in Florida, we have lots of Yankees fleeing the north and our local church welcomes them all warmly and encourages them to come back.  I am so thankful that the Lord lead us to Liberty.  It's truly an amazing experience being part of a New Testament Church, brings tears to my eyes thinking about the saints and my pastor while writing this.  

5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

It's an evil.  God never intended for there to be such factions.  Along a similar vein, President George Washington said that political parties are an evil too.  Both are right.

I went to a Yankee church once and they welcomed us with open arms and knew the south was right too!  LOL  Being in Florida, we have lots of Yankees fleeing the north and our local church welcomes them all warmly and encourages them to come back.  I am so thankful that the Lord lead us to Liberty.  It's truly an amazing experience being part of a New Testament Church, brings tears to my eyes thinking about the saints and my pastor while writing this.  

Yep, those Yankee defectors have been coming down here a long time.....I married one.