• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
14 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I guess I must be a "die hard Baptist."

Jim, I hope you didn't take that as a poke at you, my friend. I certainly didn't mean it as such. I was just communicating that I'm die-hard truth, morality and service, and when the Baptist church  doesn't fit in those parameters, I'll go with what does, whatever they call themselves. And let's face it, there is a falling away going on in the Baptist church, even among the IFB. If not falling away in doctrine, then often in morality and standards, or in service. We are made up of people too, and are not quarantined from the prophesy regarding the church that Paul warned Timothy about. In the end, we will have to hold to scripture alone, it is all that will stand sure and unshaken.

• Administrators

No WW, I dd not think of it as a poke at me at all. No offence taken Brother.

When I left Alaska I was forced by circumstances to settle where I am now. There was no Independent Baptist church here, or anywhere within driving distance. I have always been a "church" man and refuse to attend churches outside of Independent Baptist ranks, I also will not settle for Independent Baptists that are in error.

In Alaska I literally lived two doors from my church, so attendance was a breeze and appreciated. Here I chose to hold services in my home for my wife and I, with a few friends attending also. For nine years we did it this way until an Independent Baptist Pastor was called to a small church in the largest town in our area, which only has a population of 7500.

When I saw the church sign while in town one day I knocked on the door and spoke with this young pastor. Based on that conversation in which he assured me that they were indeed Independent, I started attending and quickly became a member. I have to drive an hour and a half one way to attend services, but consider it a small price to pay for being able to attend and worship with God's people in a scriptural, truly Independent Baptist Church.

I said all this because for me there is just no way I would attend a church outside of Independent Baptist ranks, especially if it is a "so-called" church in name only. My convictions on this issue are so strong for me that I would rather hold our own services than to give any sign of credibility to a so-called "church" that I know is something other than the church that Jesus built.

I do realize that this stand is not one that everyone can take, or should take, but for me it has proved valid and God has blessed. I am able to be used to preach and teach here as God has called me to do. I cannot even imagine being part of a church where I could not be used because of my Baptistic convictions, or having to withhold  the truth of God's word because of differing doctrines.

So, no offence taken Brother, it is just me being my hard nosed and unbending self and seeking God's will for my life as He reveals it to me.

• Members

Brother, I think we are in agreement. I travel all over the country and some parts of the world holding meetings and it seems to be the condition of the country! some churches have truth and lack in spirit, while others seem to have spirit but lack in truth. I am simply saying that if a church has truth , they have something to work with . Maybe the missing ingredient are the folks who have the discernment that you and I have about it . perhaps we are the missing link.I am sure the answer would not be to stay at home until the truth filled church gets a revival. perhaps if I went to be a spiritual help rather than get some help maybe I could make a difference. I am not suggesting in any way that you are the problem But maybe my attitude is in need of repair. Thanks for the wake up call. be blessed.

• Members

Wow, lots of good info.     I was a bit misleading on my first post.  It isn't that I can't find good ifb churches.  I'll explain what I meant by the statement.   I have spent the last fourty plus years in KJV only IFB churches.  The first one closed down after 36 years, now this one is closing down.  A serious of church splits have sent the members of both churches to the only other IFB church (that isn't Calvanist) in the area that have soul winning programs etc.  I prefer not to go where everyone else fled to because of hurt feelings etc.  We do have a small IFB KJV only church which doesn't appear to be growing, a Southern Baptist church that has no web page for me to check out, and a Misssionary Baptist Church of which I have known the Pastors wife since she was a child.  I know that I should stay away from churches affiliated heavily with the SBC, I just don't know what a Missionary Baptist really is.  Their doctrinal statement appears to be very good though.  I'm not checking any out yet until my church closes, but I am laying the groundwork.  I so hate when Satan gets into a church and causes so much distruction.

• Members
On 5/27/2017 at 1:00 AM, Invicta said:

Not exactly true.  In the county in England where my ancestors were from, Norfolk,  The first Baptists were Particular Baptist from the 1640s  The general Baptist came from outside the county, later.,  See C B Jewson's histories of Baptists in Norfolk and Norwich. Two of my great grandfather's sisters emigrated to Oz.  One beca\me a missionary to India

Actually, what I wrote IS EXACTLY TRUE.

You made a partial quote for the purposes of presenting my information in such a way that you could oppose me, but the fact is that I set the time as "the first half of the 1600's (about 1630-ish)", and I am talking about the actual division into particular and general baptists, not some local arrival of a particular group, which is what you have presented.

Prior to this time there was no division along those lines, and as such there was no such thing as a "Particular baptist", or a "General Baptist".

For you to state "Not exactly true" means that you are calling me a liar, but you then present absolutely no evidence contrary to my information, in spite of your deliberate attempt to misrepresent me. It seems as though your only reason for posting in this thread was to oppose my points without presenting any opposing information.

Baptist Senior, I apologise for having a rant in your thread, but this is the guy I was alluding to in the post which he misquoted.

He consistently rewrites history to suit his own theology, and I would advise you to ignore pretty much anything he says about history, and absolutely anything he says about prophecy.

Search his posts and you will see what I mean.

And watch out for his childish response which will say something like:

On 4/27/2017 at 8:06 AM, Invicta said:

And I would counsel you to ignore anything DaveW says about prophecy  His teachings are not Baptist but Plymouth Brethren. I have been there, I know.

And that, by the way is also a lie, and he knows it.

(I will post nothing further about Invicta in this thread. I will only respond to the original point of the thread.)

• Members

On your first point you have not atually proved me wrong, only passed an opinion.  If you can prove me wrong from evidence I will apologise. I have never called you a liar, and I have noo intention ever to, although I believe you are wrong on a number of issues.  

On the second point I was correct.  The Brethren spread the teaching arpond the world..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 5/25/2017 at 1:47 PM, Baptistsenior said:

If you could not find an IFB church in your area, what kind of Baptist churches would you never attend?   

Any which hold "Arminian" beliefs like Freewill Baptists or any which are Calvinists like Primitive Baptist.

• Members
24 minutes ago, Baptistsenior said:

Which ones would you say are not part of those two groups?  

Southern Baptist and IFB but not entirely. I personally haven't come across any IFB's or Southern Baptists who are "Arminian" in doctrine but, unfortunately, there are some in each of these labels who are Calvinists. You would just have to visit a church and find out if it is or isn't.

Edited by heartstrings