• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
15 hours ago, weary warrior said:

Frankly, there are IFB churches I would never attend either. 

We have several  IFB church here that are Calvanistic   

How do you feel about Southern Baptist and MIssionary Baptist

18 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Freewill Baptists, Primitive Baptists, some of the Southern Baptists

What about General Baptists and Missionary Baptists? 

15 hours ago, DaveW said:

I would move to another area.......

Wish that were possible 

• Members

I

6 minutes ago, Baptistsenior said:

We have several  IFB church here that are Calvanistic   

How do you feel about Southern Baptist and MIssionary Baptist

What about General Baptists and Missionary Baptists? 

Wish that were possible 

I have attended one Missionary Baptist church in the area which is King James only and they seem sound, but they are about 40 minutes away. I don't know of any "General Baptists" around here so I don't know anything about them.

• Members

I used to attend a Missionary Baptist Church. Like any independent church, a Missionary Baptist church will more than likely do things their own way...one Missionary Baptist Church may be doctrinally off in some areas, but another one may be doctrinally sound. It depends on the leadership.

The one I attended was basically deacon led, but above that, there was one particular family who had way too much control.

Oliver B. Greene was a Missionary Baptist.

• Members

General Baptists came into being when the division was made of Baptists into "general Baptists" and "Particular Baptist" which was a division along calvinsitic lines.

The Particular followed Calvin's teaching of a "Particular call to salvation", whilst the General Baptist refused Calvin's teaching and believed in a "General Call to salvation".

It is important to note that it was ONLY WHEN Calvin's teaching began to infiltrate Baptist Circles that this division was made - there was no distinction prior to this because the teachings of Calvin were not known among Baptists prior to this.

One member here likes to claim that all Baptists were Calvinistic prior to this time, but that is simply not historically true.

The division came about in the first half of the 1600's (about 1630-ish). Prior to this Baptist didn't talk about "election" in the Calvinist sense.

So it would follow that a church that calls itself a "particular baptist church" should be Calvinistic, since that is the origin of the name.

That doesn't mean a "general baptist church" will necessarily be any good, it simply means that they shouldn't hold to Calvinism.

• Members
20 hours ago, Baptistsenior said:

If you could not find an IFB church in your area, what kind of Baptist churches would you never attend?   

I guess to answer your question a bit better than just saying "Move", which I know is not always possible........

You really need to just try them one by one - when you visit, let them know that you are looking, and will not make a decision until you have checked them all.

Personally, I would stay away from any that refer to themselves as "particular" or "Reformed", as they will almost certainly be Calvinistic.

Where I am, any church that prefixes its name with "Free" is also highly likely to be Calvinistic, but I understand it is not always used that way in the US.

The point is really that there are some associated with the not so good groups of baptists which are on the better end of the scale, and some who might name themselves right, but are on the wrong end of that scale. You can't tell until you sit in a service.

One of the good things about the tech today is that many churches have websites - If you know the name of the nearby churches, then you put that into your search and check them out - the websites are not always accurate, or not always well done, but it gives you an idea. Particularly if you look at their "Statement of faith".

• Members
2 hours ago, DaveW said:

t is important to note that it was ONLY WHEN Calvin's teaching began to infiltrate Baptist Circles that this division was made - there was no distinction prior to this because the teachings of Calvin were not known among Baptists prior to this.

Not exactly true.  In the county in England where my ancestors were from, Norfolk,  The first Baptists were Particular Baptist from the 1640s  The general Baptist came from outside the county, later.,  See C B Jewson's histories of Baptists in Norfolk and Norwich. Two of my great grandfather's sisters emigrated to Oz.  One beca\me a missionary to India

• Members

I would check out each church for what they teach and how they live, not what name they go by. If I couldn't find a sound Baptist Church in the area, I would actually look for a Nazareen Church and try them. Is everything perfect and straight with them? No, but the ones I know are actually straighter and better than maybe 75% of any Baptist church I've been to. For you die-hard Baptists on here, I'm sorry, but it's true. Or I would just lead my family at home until God opens a door and directs different.

Myself? I would fellowship with a non-Baptist Christian that is a little fuzzy on eternal security any day over a Calvinistic Baptist. You can teach eternal security, but the Calvinist will burn you at the stake. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

• Members
6 hours ago, Invicta said:

Not exactly true.  In the county in England where my ancestors were from, Norfolk,  The first Baptists were Particular Baptist from the 1640s  The general Baptist came from outside the county, later.,  See C B Jewson's histories of Baptists in Norfolk and Norwich. Two of my great grandfather's sisters emigrated to Oz.  One beca\me a missionary to India

Like I said...........

• Members

You've also got missionary baptist churches that are pentecostal with mainly African American people.  I go to independent missionary baptist but they believe all gifts have ceased aside from faith hope and love. 

So yeah best to see what a church actually believes rather than its designated label