• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Raising Children

• Members

When I get married and have children they will be made to toe the mark. When they are told to be quiet they will instantly comply or they will be subjected to corporal punishment in the form of spanking or a whipping with a leather belt or with time out.

• Moderators

Lol... I think instant compliance would be the dream of every parent. Kids are individuals, though, and don't always do what we want or expect of them. I have a feeling that when we become parents, we'll find parenting isn't as simple as we singles think it's going to be! ;-)  Be sure your planned justice is tempered with mercy.

• Administrators

Kids aren't automatons. And each one is different in temperament and personality. Know your children well. And win their hearts. As you train them - which includes both positive reinforcement as well as negative reinforcement - win their hearts. That will bring compliance for the RIGHT reason - great love for their father - versus the wrong reason - trembling in fear of punishment by their father. God tells fathers not to provoke their children to anger - because provoking to anger breeds rebellion. 

• Members
5 hours ago, John Yurich said:

When I get married and have children they will be made to toe the mark. When they are told to be quiet they will instantly comply or they will be subjected to corporal punishment in the form of spanking or a whipping with a leather belt or with time out.

"Whipping" is necessary as needed. But you need to give alot more hugging than whipping.

• Members
On 5/24/2017 at 10:04 PM, weary warrior said:

As the father of seven children, I can't tell you how many good-natured chuckles the original post gave me. :laugh:

I was working outside many summers ago in the sweltering heat. Had a big belt-drive fan in a home-made plywood enclosure blowing on the area I was working. There was a makeshift "grille" on the front of that fan but the back was open. I went in the house for something and when I returned, found my youngest son, about 4 or 5 at the time, poking a stick in the back of that fan, letting it tap. tap , tap. I scolded him good, explained how dangerous it was, and told him he would get a whipping if he did that again. (Just trying to protect my son you know). A while later, I came around the corner and saw my eldest son, about 8, doing the same thing with the little one standing behind watching. I froze at the corner and watched a few seconds as the little one handed his big brother another stick saying "Hewe Bubba"(Here Brother)......and then "be faweful Bubba" (that's "careful" with an f and a w)  :D . Just then I burst around the corner and with eyes like a scared rabbit the little one jumped back and blurted "WHIP BUBBA!!" maybe you had to have been there but  I had to go back around the corner because I was cracking up. There was no whipping that day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, John Yurich said:

I had to chuckle at this. I applaud your desire to instill discipline in your future hypothetical children. However, you'll either learn that parenting is not always so black and white and has to be rooted in and tempered with love before discipline is effective OR your children will fear you (not in the godly way) in your presence but rebel against you in your absence. If you demand silence and compliance without first instilling a loving respectfulness, you will get neither immediate compliance nor respect. Certainly don't neglect the rod and spoil the child (Pro 13:24), but don't forget that it has to be based in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Eph 6:4).

• 4 months later...
  • Members
On 5/24/2017 at 9:39 AM, John Yurich said:

Good luck with that. The best parents in the world are the one that don't have kids.