• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Doctrine Of The Holy Trinity Is Totally Logical

• Administrators

That was short and sweet John. But it makes me wonder why you would post something that we here at OB already believe? Is there something I am missing? Have you recently heard something that may have been the opposite , something that tries to prove there is no Trinity?

• Members
3 hours ago, John Yurich said:

The doctrine of the Holy Trinity is totally logical. It is logical that God is 3 persons in one God.

Yay, I get to be the dissenter.  I disagree that it's logical.  I think it's 100% illogical.  I still believe it, but it's illogical.  But, I accept it because I accept that God's Word is perfect, even if my imperfect, mortal mind can't comprehend the depths of who God is.  :3531a34faafcd3d5ab8749a94f57319e:

• Members

Yeah I would say the Godhead (trinity) can be reconciled in scripture but yes it is even logical, in light of Romans 1:20. People that deny the trinity have been spoiled through philosophy and vain deceit -Colossians 2:8 then in 2:9 it mentions the Godhead. Same thing happened in Acts 17:18 where Paul encountered the philosophers who thought Paul set forth "strange gods" - then he mentioned the Godhead in 17:29. There seems to be a warning about philosophy when dealing with the Godhead.

(which the word only shows up 3 times in scripture - Acts 17:29 ; Romans 1:20 ; Colossians 2:8)

• Members
On 5/18/2017 at 8:00 PM, InSeasonOut said:

Yeah I would say the Godhead (trinity) can be reconciled in scripture but yes it is even logical, in light of Romans 1:20. People that deny the trinity have been spoiled through philosophy and vain deceit -Colossians 2:8 then in 2:9 it mentions the Godhead. Same thing happened in Acts 17:18 where Paul encountered the philosophers who thought Paul set forth "strange gods" - then he mentioned the Godhead in 17:29. There seems to be a warning about philosophy when dealing with the Godhead.

(which the word only shows up 3 times in scripture - Acts 17:29 ; Romans 1:20 ; Colossians 2:8)

I reserve the right to be wrong here but I believe that the use of the word Godhead is speaking to the Divine nature/Divinity of God. Not necessarily that God is triune.

I believe 100% in the Trinity but I am not sure that the word Godhead is the best way to prove it.  

• Members
29 minutes ago, AdamL said:

I reserve the right to be wrong here but I believe that the use of the word Godhead is speaking to the Divine nature/Divinity of God. Not necessarily that God is triune.

I believe 100% in the Trinity but I am not sure that the word Godhead is the best way to prove it.  

No problem. I'm sure you have heard many denying the trinity because the word "trinity" is not in the bible. That's because the Godhead is the "trinity". That's the first thing I say... and Well, consider looking at Romans 1:20 again.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

God himself is the Father, Word (Son), and the Holy Ghost. He made man in his image Body, Soul, Spirit. A family is made up of a Father Woman and Child. He gives light to the earth by the Sun, Moon, and Stars. There is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Heaven.

3 levels to Noahs Ark, and 3 different Arks in the Bible, there is Thought Word and Deed, and Motive Act Consequence, you can be For Against or Neutral, we learn by Association Contrast Repetition, our problems are Mental Emotional Physical, reality consists of Space Matter Time, and time itself is Past Present Future , matter is Solid Liquid Gas...

is this enough? Yes No Maybe?

God makes many things in 3's or "trinities". And we can come to know him by his Creation, our Conscience, and the Scriptures (theres that 3 again). Again the word Godhead only shows up 3 times in scripture - not a coincidence - and the Godhead is described in 1 John 5:7 "these three are one". That's the Godhead whom is certainly Divine

• Members
19 hours ago, InSeasonOut said:

No problem. I'm sure you have heard many denying the trinity because the word "trinity" is not in the bible. That's because the Godhead is the "trinity". That's the first thing I say... and Well, consider looking at Romans 1:20 again.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

God himself is the Father, Word (Son), and the Holy Ghost. He made man in his image Body, Soul, Spirit. A family is made up of a Father Woman and Child. He gives light to the earth by the Sun, Moon, and Stars. There is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Heaven.

3 levels to Noahs Ark, and 3 different Arks in the Bible, there is Thought Word and Deed, and Motive Act Consequence, you can be For Against or Neutral, we learn by Association Contrast Repetition, our problems are Mental Emotional Physical, reality consists of Space Matter Time, and time itself is Past Present Future , matter is Solid Liquid Gas...

is this enough? Yes No Maybe?

God makes many things in 3's or "trinities". And we can come to know him by his Creation, our Conscience, and the Scriptures (theres that 3 again). Again the word Godhead only shows up 3 times in scripture - not a coincidence - and the Godhead is described in 1 John 5:7 "these three are one". That's the Godhead whom is certainly Divine

I have no problem whatsoever with the Trinity.  I believe it, I support it, I teach it. There are many many things in the Bible that come in threes and you have listed a plethora.  What I am saying is that the word Godhead does not mean Trinity.  It is talking about Divinity. Romans 1:20 is talking about the power and divine nature of God. That from the creation those things are fully evident and mankind is without excuse. Colossians 2:9 is talking about the full Divine nature that was in Christ. The Father, Son, and Spirit were not walking around on the earth in the flesh, the Son was. But the fullness of Deity and the full Divinity of God was in Christ. I believe in Acts 17:29 Paul is simply saying that God is not gold, silver, or stone.  He cannot be made by man. The true and living God is the one that created us not the other way around.  And He commands all men to repent.

Those are my thoughts. You and anyone else are certainly entitled to disagree. There are examples upon examples that show God is Triune.  I just don't think Godhead is a good one to show that.

Edited by AdamL

• Members
6 hours ago, AdamL said:

Those are my thoughts. You and anyone else are certainly entitled to disagree. There are examples upon examples that show God is Triune.  I just don't think Godhead is a good one to show that.

That's okay. I respectfully disagree. I'm sure you are familiar with the many editions of the NewKingJimmy version have an image of the Godhead on it - the 3 leaf clover looking thing... Which disobeys Acts 17:29. That image is said to represent the trinity but many  have taught against the Nkjv and the graven image upon it. Also I would agree that images of Jesus go against Acts 17:29. Images/pictures of Jesus are graven images. Since Colossians 2:9 says in him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily (Father,Word, Holy Ghost).

As I originally said, do you think Paul was preaching the "trinity" in Acts 17:18 when the philosophers said Paul set forth strange gods? ... (I did find it interesting Paul mentioned the Godhead in verse 29 after this)

• Members
6 hours ago, InSeasonOut said:

That's okay. I respectfully disagree. I'm sure you are familiar with the many editions of the NewKingJimmy version have an image of the Godhead on it - the 3 leaf clover looking thing... Which disobeys Acts 17:29. That image is said to represent the trinity but many  have taught against the Nkjv and the graven image upon it. Also I would agree that images of Jesus go against Acts 17:29. Images/pictures of Jesus are graven images. Since Colossians 2:9 says in him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily (Father,Word, Holy Ghost).

As I originally said, do you think Paul was preaching the "trinity" in Acts 17:18 when the philosophers said Paul set forth strange gods? ... (I did find it interesting Paul mentioned the Godhead in verse 29 after this)

I am aware of that image.  I do not display any images like that or pictures of Jesus.  Like you stated I also do not believe it is appropriate to do so.

I believe you are creating your own definition for the use of the word in Colossians 2:9. The verse means that Jesus Christ is fully God.  He is Deity.

As far as what exactly Paul preached in Acts 17:18 we don't have all the details. He certainly could have been preaching the Trinity, it mentions specifically that he preached Jesus and His resurrection. Again I believe you are inserting a definition you like into Acts 17:29. I have already gone over what I believe the verse is teaching.

Carrying on your logic you would have to say that in Romans 1:20 that the general revelation of God to man through the creation clearly reveals that not only does God exist but He is a Trinity. I don't think the Trinity is clearly revealed without the special revelation of the Bible. General revelation clearly reveals that their is a God and because of that men are accountable to Him. That verse is clearly talking about the general revelation of God.

The word Godhead is translated from a different Greek word in each if these three instances.  Each of those three words either convey a divine being, a divine nature, or being divine/deity. They do not specifically reveal that God is Triune.

Like you previously mentioned the word Trinity is not in the Bible.  So in order to teach it we must find it in Scripture.  1 John 5:7 is obviously the clearest description, however it is not the only one.  We cannot create our own definitions for a word to teach a doctrine we believe in though.

• Members
22 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Carrying on your logic you would have to say that in Romans 1:20 that the general revelation of God to man through the creation clearly reveals that not only does God exist but He is a Trinity

Yes that's exactly what I believe / was trying to say with all the examples I listed above.

I even agree that Coloss 2:9 means Jesus is fully God / and the Godhead is deity. The Godhead includes the "trinity". I'm not separating deity from trinity. God is a trinity and im not separating God from the Godhead. The Godhead is a trinity, is what im saying... which you agree with? But you don't agree the Godhead definition is "the trinity"?

• Members

God is the Trinity. Godhead does not mean Trinity it means divine. The general revelation of God to man does not reveal the Trinity but it does reveal that there is a God. Special revelation (the Bible) reveals the Trinity.

The person of the Son was manifested in the flesh. He is fully Divine The Father and the Spirit were not manifested in the flesh but they also are fully Divine. Colossians 2:9 says that the Son of God in the flesh was fully Divine.