Online Baptist

What are you currently reading?

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
I got my copy of "The Illuminati" today and my guess is that Jerry did not read any of the pages before the actual story or he would have seen' date=' in Larry Burkett's own words, the statement: "Obviously, I tried to use as realistic a scenario as possible in this story. But it is purely fictional, including the characters, events, and timing. It should not be assumed that it is prophetic in any regard." My other guess is that maybe Jerry can't read...[/quote']

So it's okay to write "Christian" fiction that teaches false doctrine as long as we state upfront that it is wrong? We should not assume it is prophetic? I don't care whether he is trying to be prophetic or not - he touches on endtime events, and twists the truth. That makes him wrong. Tells us a lot about you if you like being entertained by deliberate falsehoods!

All authors present their worldviews in their novels. A "christian" novel should present a Biblically Christian worldview, not one that contradicts the Bible. I am not saying it has to be about Biblical events - but as much as it touches on anything from the Bible, it should be in accord with it.
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pointing out that A.W. Pink is a Calvinist is far from "hatred", it is simply an observation. You have accused others here of "hatred" for simply expressing an opinion different from yours. This

Indeed. I have read and am willing to read A. W. Pink's writings (even as I have read and am willing to read other Calvinist's writings), and indeed it is accurate to indicate that A. W. Pink was a pr

Yes ma'am.

• Lady Administrators

I just finished reading For Women Only. It was a good book. There wasn't really anything surprising in there to me - I've been married long enough (22 years tomorrow! :thumb ) that I've learned these things as I've gone along. But it is really very good. I would recommend it to all married ladies. Single ladies, I would say wait til you're married to read it.

I even read parts of it to my husband and we discussed the accuracy of it. Worth the little time it took to read it!

I just finished reading For Women Only. It was a good book. There wasn't really anything surprising in there to me - I've been married long enough (22 years tomorrow! :thumb ) that I've learned these things as I've gone along. But it is really very good. I would recommend it to all married ladies. Single ladies, I would say wait til you're married to read it.

I even read parts of it to my husband and we discussed the accuracy of it. Worth the little time it took to read it!

This book is great and it really opened my eyes to some things. But I've only been married just over a year and a half which is why it was probably so beneficial to me. My husband wants to read "For Men Only".

I read parts of it to my husband to to discuss the accuracy and he said it's very accurate!

This is a book that I look in over and over.
  • Lady Administrators
This book is great and it really opened my eyes to some things. But I've only been married just over a year and a half which is why it was probably so beneficial to me. I agree that it is beneficial!! Especially to newly marrieds' date=' but it's a good reminder to those who've been married a while, too![/color'] My husband wants to read "For Men Only".

I read parts of it to my husband to to discuss the accuracy and he said it's very accurate!Yeah, my hubby was kinda surprised that a woman could get it so close. When he found out about her statistical work, he was impressed...and said he'd be interested in reading For Men Only as well!

This is a book that I look in over and over.I told my hubby that I want to get my own copy (got this one from the library) and that I'd like to get a copy to give to our DIL when our son gets married. He thinks that's a good idea, too.
  • Lady Administrators
I've started reading a book by Joel Rosenberg. He is apparently an end-times fiction writer. My friend' date=' who's hobby is end-times prophecy, really enjoys his books and recommended them to me. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, and I started on the fourth book rather than from the beginning. :frog[/quote']
What's the book, Kevin? That name is very familiar...

I just finished reading "The Illuminati" and they made it obvious that it was set PRE rapture. So I don't have a clue what Jerry is on about...just maybe the author who wrote the book didn't intend it to be prophetic, just like he stated at the beginning. Also, the people in the book did NOT recieve the mark of the beast. The evil man in the book was a forerunner of the anti-christ. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens in real life even though I am not sure if it's in the Bible or not. But the anti-christ is going to be an evil imitation of Christ and Christ had a forerunner in John the Baptist so just maybe, but it's speculation and it did make a good story. The only bit that I know stood out as me not necessarily agreeing with was the the demons tormented people in hell. The Bible tells us that the demons themselves will be tormented in hell.

It was a great story but not as good as "the Thor Conspiracy".

• Members

I read the Copper Scroll a couple of months ago. I really enjoyed it. I think it is really neat how he weaves current events in with prophecy. Have you been to his website? Very interesting. I want to read all of his books. I heard him on a radio talk show. He seems to be so knowledgable about end times stuff.
  • Lady Administrators

Just finished Romanov Bride - fictionalized account of the revolution in Russia that led to the Soviet Union. It's told in the voice of Pavel, the man who helped kill the first Grand Duke (and later his wife) and Ella, the Grand Duke's wife (great-granddaugter to Queen Victoria and great-aunt to Prince Philip) who was also sister to Tsar Nicholas' wife. Interesting...

• Lady Administrators
Thanks. They sound pretty good!

She's a good author...paints good word pictures. There have been a couple of books that she's written that have contained things that I didn't care for, but overall, I like them. I'm a big fan of suspense, and she can keep a person on the alert!

Another author that does that is Dee Henderson. She wrote the O'Malley Family series. Good and suspenseful, kinda Christianity light, but at least clean.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finished [b][i]ANGELS[/i][/b] by Billy Graham, [God's Secret Agents...Word Publishing] over a week ago. This was the very first book on Angels ever written in this country...1975. [color=#0000FF] I would highly recommend reading it.[/color]

Blessings From [color=#FF0000][b][i]PARENTHOOD[/i][/b][/color] by Evangelist Don Woodard. An excellent book!! I had an opportunity to hear him preach to the youth in OH (Spencer Baptist Church)...what an amazing man!

How to Rear Teenagers by Dr. Jack Hyles. I have to be in a mood to read this...it is definite preaching. :smile

This is not a Christian book...rather a fable. [color=#BF0040]the five people you meet in heaven[/color] by Mitch Albom...Author of Tuesdays with Morrie. #1 [color=#BF0040][b][i]NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER.[/i][/b][/color]

I mostly like to read Christian books...but, I will throw a light-hearted book in there on occasion.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

I'm currently reading "The Home" by John R. Rice, "The Bible Explorer's Guide" by John Phillips, and a periodical (Free Grace Broadcaster) on the subject "Godly Manhood."
The last book I finished was "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23" by Phillip Keller.