• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What are you currently reading?

• Members
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:05 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Let's see: The Bible, in Zechariah in the mornings and Romans, with my wife, in the evenings. 'The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People', and 'Darwinism and Creation', a Christian outline of the flaws of Darwinism, and the supremacy of biblical creation, written back in the 50's. Don't recall the author off the top of my head.

Hey Mike,

I bought the audio book “the Seven Habits” I must have listened to those things a good twenty times.  My wife hated them because every time we traveled by car I listened to them over and over.  After all these years I still remember a few illustrations from the book and still use them occasionally.  The best one in my opinion is when Covey talks about climbing the ladder of success to the top and finding the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall.  What a great illustration for false religions and he being a Mormon.    

• Moderators

Now I'm reading TM 9-1015-252-10, the Army Operator's tech manual for the M119A2 Light Towed Howitzer. Part of my job.

2 hours ago, Orval said:

Hey Mike,

I bought the audio book “the Seven Habits” I must have listened to those things a good twenty times.  My wife hated them because every time we traveled by car I listened to them over and over.  After all these years I still remember a few illustrations from the book and still use them occasionally.  The best one in my opinion is when Covey talks about climbing the ladder of success to the top and finding the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall.  What a great illustration for false religions and he being a Mormon.    

We have the audio as well. I have never finished either-kind of heard on my brain, not really the kind of book I prefer, but my wife really wants me to read it, so we're kind of opposite there; she thinks I can benefit from it in my work as a pastor.  I didn't realize he was a Mormon.

• Members
48 minutes ago, Tyndale said:

I just finished reading the book entitled Why Johnny Can't Sing Hymns by T. David Gordon.  It has the subtitle:  How Pop Culture Rewrote the Hymnal.

Excellent book. They interviewed the author on The White Horse Inn. It's probably archived online somewhere and well worth the effort to find. 

There are also two companion books: Why Johnny Can't Preach and another one, the name of which escapes me. 

• Members

I don't do much readin' n'all cause its a might bit hard fer me to git what there a'sayin...usin all them-there fancy words n'all. I's had skoolin but I only lernt them three Rs...runnin, restlin, and recess.  

I jis like them pikture books that I can color. I can draw all kinda doohickys on the pages to.

I's fixin to thank bout maybe a'readin one a them-there big books though called Dick and Jane...if'n I kin.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I don't do much readin' n'all cause its a might bit hard fer me to git what there a'sayin...usin all them-there fancy words n'all. I's had skoolin but I only lernt them three Rs...runnin, restlin, and recess.  

I jis like them pikture books that I can color. I can draw all kinda doohickys on the pages to.

I's fixin to thank bout maybe a'readin one a them-there big books though called Dick and Jane...if'n I kin.

Your teachers larned you the 3 Rs? I larned the three Fs -- Fightin', Flirtin' and Fritterin' away time.

• Members
1 minute ago, D-28 Player said:

And even in a friendly thread some folks can't leave their hatred at the door 

LOL! No hatred whatsoever.

Let's see...

22 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Pink is a Calvinist...if anyone wants to know.

I don't see a bit of hatred in those words at all. I see information.

I'm simply just letting people know that Pink is a Calvinist. I've seen unknowing non-Calvinists receive Pink's books freely, because his books were "recommended and given to them" by others. I'm just letting people know what you're recommending (by default). If they want to read Pink's books, that's their prerogative...but at least now they know a little more than those whom I saw gladly accept his books like a kid on Christmas...because someone they trusted and respected gave the books to them. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, D-28 Player said:

And even in a friendly thread some folks can't leave their hatred at the door 

Pointing out that A.W. Pink is a Calvinist is far from "hatred", it is simply an observation.

You have accused others here of "hatred" for simply expressing an opinion different from yours. This tendency to label as "hatred" anything that  disagrees with the original premise reminds me of left leaning liberals in the secular world. In the liberal world everything that opposes the liberal's ideas and assertions is always labeled, "hatred." It's all a  part of the "political correctness" that is so prevalent in these times.