• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What are you currently reading?

Since when is "The Thor Conspiracy" an endtimes novel? And where in the entire book was "the mark of the beast" mentioned??? Have you even read the book or are you parrotting something you have been told or read on a biased book review? I haven't read "The Illuminati" yet so I have no comment as yet on that one. But where on earth do either of them claim to be or even appear to be "endtimes novels". I think that's something you pulled out of your hat.

• Members

I read them both. It was The Illuminati (the first one) that dealt with the Antichrist and the Mark Of The Beast. It ends with the Mark being instituted (but only in the US), the Antichrist being killed, and the Tribulation period/endtimes being put off for 50 years.

Hard to refute something if, as you say, you have never read it. Perhaps you shouldn't "promote" an author as a great author when you have only read one of his books. Also, Burkett is pretty wacky on his doctrine in general, not just in his fiction.

I made it quite clear that I haven't read the first one, only "The Thor Conspiracy". So while I said I wanted to read "The Illuminati", I didn't say I knew anything about it. I was speaking strictly of the second book. I've read some of Larry Burkett's financial stuff. Also, I sure don't take your word for it if someone is wacky on doctrine...since you and I don't agree on that stuff anyway. People in my church that I respect use Larry Burketts stuff so until I read where his doctrine is wacky (since I don't know his doctrinal beliefs) I'll be happy to keep reading his stuff.

I got my copy of "The Illuminati" today and my guess is that Jerry did not read any of the pages before the actual story or he would have seen, in Larry Burkett's own words, the statement: "Obviously, I tried to use as realistic a scenario as possible in this story. But it is purely fictional, including the characters, events, and timing. It should not be assumed that it is prophetic in any regard." My other guess is that maybe Jerry can't read...

I am going to sit and enjoy my non-prophetic novel.

• Members
I got my copy of "The Illuminati" today and my guess is that Jerry did not read any of the pages before the actual story or he would have seen' date=' in Larry Burkett's own words, the statement: "Obviously, I tried to use as realistic a scenario as possible in this story. But it is purely fictional, including the characters, events, and timing. It should not be assumed that it is prophetic in any regard." My other guess is that maybe Jerry can't read...[/quote']

So it's okay to write "Christian" fiction that teaches false doctrine as long as we state upfront that it is wrong? We should not assume it is prophetic? I don't care whether he is trying to be prophetic or not - he touches on endtime events, and twists the truth. That makes him wrong. Tells us a lot about you if you like being entertained by deliberate falsehoods!

All authors present their worldviews in their novels. A "christian" novel should present a Biblically Christian worldview, not one that contradicts the Bible. I am not saying it has to be about Biblical events - but as much as it touches on anything from the Bible, it should be in accord with it.

• Administrators

I just finished reading For Women Only. It was a good book. There wasn't really anything surprising in there to me - I've been married long enough (22 years tomorrow! :thumb ) that I've learned these things as I've gone along. But it is really very good. I would recommend it to all married ladies. Single ladies, I would say wait til you're married to read it.

I even read parts of it to my husband and we discussed the accuracy of it. Worth the little time it took to read it!

• Members

I've started reading a book by Joel Rosenberg. He is apparently an end-times fiction writer. My friend, who's hobby is end-times prophecy, really enjoys his books and recommended them to me. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, and I started on the fourth book rather than from the beginning. :frog

I just finished reading For Women Only. It was a good book. There wasn't really anything surprising in there to me - I've been married long enough (22 years tomorrow! :thumb ) that I've learned these things as I've gone along. But it is really very good. I would recommend it to all married ladies. Single ladies, I would say wait til you're married to read it.

I even read parts of it to my husband and we discussed the accuracy of it. Worth the little time it took to read it!

This book is great and it really opened my eyes to some things. But I've only been married just over a year and a half which is why it was probably so beneficial to me. My husband wants to read "For Men Only".

I read parts of it to my husband to to discuss the accuracy and he said it's very accurate!

This is a book that I look in over and over.

• Administrators
This book is great and it really opened my eyes to some things. But I've only been married just over a year and a half which is why it was probably so beneficial to me. I agree that it is beneficial!! Especially to newly marrieds' date=' but it's a good reminder to those who've been married a while, too![/color'] My husband wants to read "For Men Only".

I read parts of it to my husband to to discuss the accuracy and he said it's very accurate!Yeah, my hubby was kinda surprised that a woman could get it so close. When he found out about her statistical work, he was impressed...and said he'd be interested in reading For Men Only as well!

This is a book that I look in over and over.I told my hubby that I want to get my own copy (got this one from the library) and that I'd like to get a copy to give to our DIL when our son gets married. He thinks that's a good idea, too.

• Administrators
I've started reading a book by Joel Rosenberg. He is apparently an end-times fiction writer. My friend' date=' who's hobby is end-times prophecy, really enjoys his books and recommended them to me. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, and I started on the fourth book rather than from the beginning. :frog[/quote']
What's the book, Kevin? That name is very familiar...