• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

[BOOK] The Knowledge Of The Holy by A. W. Tozer

• Members

Doctrines...not another doctrines book! Yes, but if you've read Tozer before then you know you'll come away scathed, to one degree or another.

The Knowledge Of The Holy, as  the title might suggest, centers on the doctrines of God. However, I've read and studied doctrines in a classroom environment and this is no ordinary doctrines book.

From the outset the reader is challenged to prepare for a different slant. You are not allowed to close your Bible and think that God's word has been neatly tucked away until the next time of devotion. God's word is alive and in the pages of Tozer's book the reader is made aware to know God we must be living the living word.

• Members

Indeed, Tozer (regardless of some doctrinal positions with which I might not agree) ever presents Biblical doctrine in a spiritually practical manner, even as the Lord our God always intended it.  Indeed, ALL Biblical doctrine has spiritually practical application unto our lives, if we will only meditate therein and follow thereafter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I own this book, and read it twice. It's been awhile I bought it as a new Christian a few years ago but good from what I remember but I can't recommend it.. It's really the only thing ive read/heard of Tozer so I don't know of his doctrinal positions with which I might not agree either.... except for the edition I have calls him a "Christian mystic" on the back cover which threw me off... if Im getting this right that is rooted in Catholicism with the whole contemplative prayer nonsense...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, InSeasonOut said:

except for the edition I have calls him a "Christian mystic" on the back cover which threw me off... if Im getting this right that is rooted in Catholicism with the whole contemplative prayer nonsense...

This is an excellent case in point of, "Don't judge a book by it's cover". I suggest you re-read it again and I recommend you read, THE WANING AUTHORITY OF CHRIST IN THE CHURCHES, Tozer's last message before his death. Available here... http://www.awtozerclassics.com/articles/article/4938678/86408.htm

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

This is an excellent case in point of, "Don't judge a book by it's cover". I suggest you re-read it again and I recommend you read, THE WANING AUTHORITY OF CHRIST IN THE CHURCHES, Tozer's last message before his death. Available here... http://www.awtozerclassics.com/articles/article/4938678/86408.htm

Well may I ask if you seen the edition that says he's a "Christian mystic" ? Or heard anything of him mentioning this or something similar like contemplative prayer?

BTW I think its a good thing to judge a book by its cover. When you see words like mystic / mysticism or even "ecumenical" or "Holy Spirit Fire" or "Babylon USA" or whatever that should raise some red flags. I don't think theres any exceptions... we should judge all books by THE Book (KJV). Which has no cover. It's just the old black backed 66 caliber AV. Which is the Book that judges us.

• Members

Yes, I did have the edition where someone described Tozer as a "Christian Mystic". I think you're taking an affront needlessly. 

Tozer describes himself as a "Christian Mystic." Why don't you see how he defines "Christian Mystic" before you bring all the other terms ("ecumenical" or "Holy Spirit Fire" or "Babylon USA") into the discussion since they don't apply and add confusion. I wouldn't put much stock in judging on the outward appearance 1 Samuel 16:7 especially in Tozer's case. 

I don't believe book/movie review is the right forum to discuss Tozer's Christianity or "Christian Mystic", better to start a thread outside the book review. I would participate.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members

Okay great. To be clear, I originally said the term "Christian mystic" just "threw me off" as I didn't know what this was when I first read the book. I looked up the term and was led to references to contemplative prayer and the RCC. Thus, when I said "if im getting this right" that's what I found it to be, but I was open to correction and in the meantime I strongly disagree with those things.

• Administrators

I'm going to insert a comment here re: the discussion that's already taken place...

Tozer compiled a book called The Christian Book of Mystical Verse. However, his definition of mystic is not what we generally think of, IMO. Here is the description of the book:

"In The Christian's Book of Mystical Verse we find Tozer's personal collection of poems, songs and meditations. While the term "mystic" may have connotations that reach beyond traditional Christian thinking, it actually refers to a common spiritual experience that unites anyone who has fellowship with God. The poems in this book were hand-picked by Tozer and follow a logical pattern, going in line with the very nature of salvation itself and the death of Jesus on the cross, man's contemplation of his own sin, redemption, communion with God, awaiting the return of Christ, and celebrations of eternal fellowship with God in Heaven.  Both intimate and exhilarating, The Christian Book of Mystical Verse is a book for anyone who seeks to worship God the Father."

Here is part of a review of the book:  "The introduction explains that mystics and mysticism have commonly been linked to the idea of emotional, heart-felt religion without emphasis on theological soundness. Here Tozer uses the term to describe people who have had an intimate encounter with God..."

The term does throw people off, nowadays especially. But I do believe Tozer was a man who wanted to walk closely with God.

He's also very quotable: "One compromise here, another there and soon enough the so-called Christian and the man in the world look the same.'"

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic, as per request of 1Tim. :think_smiley_42:

it's been a number of years since I read this book, 1Tim. I'm going to have to find it (still unpacking books...) and re-read it.

• Members
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, HappyChristian said:

I'm going to insert a comment here re: the discussion that's already taken place...

Tozer compiled a book called The Christian Book of Mystical Verse. However, his definition of mystic is not what we generally think of, IMO. Here is the description of the book:

"In The Christian's Book of Mystical Verse we find Tozer's personal collection of poems, songs and meditations. While the term "mystic" may have connotations that reach beyond traditional Christian thinking, it actually refers to a common spiritual experience that unites anyone who has fellowship with God. The poems in this book were hand-picked by Tozer and follow a logical pattern, going in line with the very nature of salvation itself and the death of Jesus on the cross, man's contemplation of his own sin, redemption, communion with God, awaiting the return of Christ, and celebrations of eternal fellowship with God in Heaven.  Both intimate and exhilarating, The Christian Book of Mystical Verse is a book for anyone who seeks to worship God the Father."

Here is part of a review of the book:  "The introduction explains that mystics and mysticism have commonly been linked to the idea of emotional, heart-felt religion without emphasis on theological soundness. Here Tozer uses the term to describe people who have had an intimate encounter with God..."

The term does throw people off, nowadays especially. But I do believe Tozer was a man who wanted to walk closely with God.

He's also very quotable: "One compromise here, another there and soon enough the so-called Christian and the man in the world look the same.'"

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic, as per request of 1Tim. :think_smiley_42:

it's been a number of years since I read this book, 1Tim. I'm going to have to find it (still unpacking books...) and re-read it.

If I were going to recommend a re-read of Tozer, I would say re-read The Pursuit of God.

Knowledge of the Holy is more of a doctrines book, particularly the doctrine of God.

Edited by 1Timothy115