• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

...green pastures....

• Members

I was putting out the hay yesterday and stopped for a minute to record this video in one of my pastures. There has been very little rain and the sheep actually seek out bare spots in the grass to lie down on and will wallow them out larger; They always seem to prefer to lie down in dirt rather than green grass and I counted over 50 of these in just one corner of this pasture. When sheep rise, from bedding down, they typically will stretch and defecate right on the spot. These heavily soiled areas propagate the life cycles of intestinal parasites which complete their cycle by climbing up the grass stems to be re-ingested by the sheep. Though they clearly like to lie down here, the sheep avoid eating near these places anyway, when possible, so the soil is ruined for grazing several weeks until the eggs and larvae die.

Tell me; would it be a normal thing for a Middle Eastern shepherd to bed his sheep down in "green pastures" taking into account that the land of Israel is an arid land where grass is somewhat rare? Would he not rather bed them down in a bare-dirt area which they prefer to lie on anyway, and save the precious grass for feeding the sheep? I think this makes the Psalm all the more extraordinary. "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures". The Lord has more than enough "grass" for us.

Edited by heartstrings