• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Full Circle Linux

• Members

No Nicolaitans,

The operating systems that come from China, Mainland China is communist, including the Linux/Ubuntu OS's, will be monitored by the Communist government. The Communist government puts government listening devices, or some sort of spying apparatus, in all of the computer systems from China. 

Taiwan is different. So, I am selective in just about everything over here.

• Members
39 minutes ago, Alan said:

No Nicolaitans,

The operating systems that come from China, Mainland China is communist, including the Linux/Ubuntu OS's, will be monitored by the Communist government. The Communist government puts government listening devices, or some sort of spying apparatus, in all of the computer systems from China. 

Taiwan is different. So, I am selective in just about everything over here.

I figured it might be something like that. In that case, Deepin might be a better choice than Kylin. I've watched videos of people who were wary of Deepin and its development in China. From what I saw, there was nothing to be wary of. It's open source software...though they do include a few applications that aren't open source; however, the operating system itself is open source. Since you're in Taiwan, you would probably experience faster updates than I did when I was using it. Plus...like I said...Deepin is absolutely beautiful and impressive. Plus...and most importantly...it has some really neat sounding Chinese musical effects! :laugh:

I would still be using it if I could have made just a few customizations and the update speed was better.

I just did a search on Distrowatch for Linux operating systems developed in Taiwan. To my surprise, Lubuntu came up...though it was shown as France/Taiwan. That's one of my go-to favorite operating systems.

• Members

No Nicolaitans,

You are correct. I have Linux Mint 17.3 version;  "Rosa" Cinammon 64-bit.

Besides tutorials on the internet, I also am looking at the Linux forums that came with the OS. Some of the tutorials on the internet skip important steps and, for one example, I had to view three tutorials on Gimp 2.8 before the last tutorial told me how to put script onto images properly.

Live and learn.

Brethren,

I am in the process of learning how to operate the various systems on Linux MInt.

If anybody wants to jump in and discuss the various Linux Mint operating software please do so. I need all the help I can get.

Alan

• Members
2 hours ago, Alan said:

No Nicolaitans,

Besides tutorials on the internet, I also am looking at the Linux forums that came with the OS. Some of the tutorials on the internet skip important steps and, for one example, I had to view three tutorials on Gimp 2.8 before the last tutorial told me how to put script onto images properly.

Live and learn.

Brethren,

I am in the process of learning how to operate the various systems on Linux MInt.

If anybody wants to jump in and discuss the various Linux Mint operating software please do so. I need all the help I can get.

Alan

Okay...great! I got side-tracked this evening, so it may be tomorrow evening before I can see about the installation of Mint onto a USB...sorry.

Gimp is a great tool, but there's so much to it that it's hard to understand how to do things with it. Took me forever to figure out that you have to press and hold certain keys on the keyboard just to do some basic things. I'm slowly learning it. I've used it to create my own wallpapers, and I've also shared some wallpapers that I've uploaded for others to use. I also used it to make Window themes for Linux. Here's a link to my profile...everything there was made with Gimp. Some of it is decent; some of it is...there. LOL!

https://www.xfce-look.org/member/441212/

• Members
On ‎2017‎年‎5‎月‎17‎日 at 0:28 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

If I understand correctly, you want to be able to make PDF files with Linux, but you also want them to be accessible to people on Windows who use Adobe Reader? Yes. That is correct.

First, I use Evince as my PDF viewer on Linux. It has never failed to open a PDF file for me. There are many other PDF viewers for Linux. I will see what is on my Linux Mint software; if Evince is not already loaded up I will upload it. I am still in the learning stage on what I can do and what I cannot do on Linux.

Second, whenever I need to create a PDF file, I use WPS Office Writer to create the document. Then when I'm finished creating the document, I use the "Export to pdf..." option to save it as a PDF file. Afterward, it opens perfectly with my Evince pdf viewer on Linux, and it opens perfectly with Adobe Reader on Windows. I have not uploaded WPS Office Writer yet onto my Linux Mint as I have been using LibreOffice.

I don't use LibreOffice, but from my understanding, it also can "Export to pdf". I have been using LibreOffice and I will try that method.

If you're on a Windows computer, you can try the attached test pdf that I just made (as I described above using WPS Office) to see how it opens with Adobe Reader. I tried the attached document and it opened up in my windows computer. Looks fine.

If you want to continue this conversation or have questions, we can start a new thread (or use private messages) if you wish...so as not to further disrupt your Revelation thread. I moved this quote onto the Full LInux thread to continue these discussions.

Document1.pdf

In a couple of days I will be at the chuch office and try learning how to create a PDF file. 

Thank you for the advice and information.

Alan 

• Members
On 5/16/2017 at 10:21 AM, Alan said:

Thanks.

If you make a tutorial I will look at it. I have heard of the process.

Okay brother...here's the video. It's just straight instructional, so don't expect any music or voice overs. LOL!

I tried to be as thorough as possible, but I also tried to save some time...so if you have any questions, let me know.

I do have to admit to one major boo-boo. I used the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon for this instead of the version that you're using...didn't catch it until after-the-fact. Hopefully, the Installer (and installation) is the same. I'm a bit worried, because Mint used to use a different installer than what is used here. It appears that they are now using the default Ubuntu Installer instead of their own Mint Installer.

• Members

No Nicolaitans,

The attached document is from my Linux Mint 17.3, Evince PDF viewer. The Evince was already installed on Mint 17.3. The document is a copy of a e-mail I mailed to our associate pastor, Brother Job (his English name). I put a watermark on the test document with the church name in English and in Chinese to test the watermark and the coloring.

TEST PDF document Letter to Bro. Job.pdf

Let's see what happens.

Alan

• Members
10 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Beautiful! Did you write that?

Thank you, yes I did write it. I had written it here on OB a few years back and had included photos of a butterfly I had from a caterpillar, but the links for the photos are broken now.

Also, thank you for your tips and advice for using Linux, they've been very helpful, and I appreciate it! :)

• Members
40 minutes ago, Alan said:

No Nicolaitans,

The attached document is from my Linux Mint 17.3, Evince PDF viewer. The Evince was already installed on Mint 17.3. The document is a copy of a e-mail I mailed to our associate pastor, Brother Job (his English name). I put a watermark on the test document with the church name in English and in Chinese to test the watermark and the coloring.

TEST PDF document Letter to Bro. Job.pdf

Let's see what happens.

Alan

Everything worked perfectly for me on Linux with Evince and on Windows with Adobe Reader. :)

The watermark showed in both and is a green color in both, the English showed in both, and the Chinese showed in both...I can't read Chinese, but they "looked" the same on Linux and Windows. :)

• Members
45 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Also, thank you for your tips and advice for using Linux, they've been very helpful, and I appreciate it! :)

I'm glad to help if I can. I'm not a Linux guru, but I've learned a good bit over the last few years...mostly due to "have to".

I remember when I first started trying to use Linux...it was so frustrating!

I joined a couple of forums for help, and was greeted with things like...you need to cd into this...or...you need to chroot that. I didn't have a clue what they were talking about, so I was forced into two areas...

1. Hope and pray that someone would have mercy on me as a new user and explain things in a way that I could understand...which rarely happened.

2. Try to figure things out on my own with the help of internet searches.

Remember, I was forced into using Linux when our only computer became inoperable with Windows Vista. Option #2 became my option of choice. There are some great Linux forums, but they're few and far between. Most are filled with ... and I'm just going to say it ... jerks. One of the best and most helpful forums out there is the Bunsen Labs forum. They are very friendly, and though they have their own Linux operating system, they are happy to help anyone with other systems.

I remember what it was like when I first started using Linux, so when (and if) I can help someone, I try to keep that in mind when explaining something.

• Members
22 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Everything worked perfectly for me on Linux with Evince and on Windows with Adobe Reader. :)

The watermark showed in both and is a green color in both, the English showed in both, and the Chinese showed in both...I can't read Chinese, but they "looked" the same on Linux and Windows. :)

Thank you for taking the time and letting me know the Linux Evince PDF operation worked with Adobe Reader.

I am very glad it worked. In order to do a PDF that everyone can read, and upload, is very important to me, and crucial to my making a decision on some important decisions I need to make in the days ahead.

Alan

• Members
2 hours ago, Alan said:

Thank you for taking the time and letting me know the Linux Evince PDF operation worked with Adobe Reader.

I am very glad it worked. In order to do a PDF that everyone can read, and upload, is very important to me, and crucial to my making a decision on some important decisions I need to make in the days ahead.

Alan

I have been quietly chuckling to myself over this for the simple reason that the whole point of PDF files is to provide a"universal format" that anyone can read no matter the operating system, and as such it SHOULD just work no matter where it was produced or where it is being read.

PDF stands for "Portable Document File"(or something pretty close to that).

But the ACTUAL thing that makes me chuckle is that your hesitation and testing is necessary, because you just never know............ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

So much for the theory!

• Members
On 5/16/2017 at 6:58 PM, Alan said:

I'm going to fess up to something here...

I've tried Mint in the past, but I didn't care for it. However, after playing around with the installation that I did onto the USB...I'm really liking it now! Mint really is one of the best Linux distributions for people new to Linux. I don't remember why I didn't care for it in the past...I'm actually tempted to install it on my computer now. :laugh: