• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschool Education

• Members

When I get married and have children they will be homeschooled. The school year will begin the day after Labor Day and end in the first week in March so that the school year is short. The homeschooling will be done while I, my wife and children are touring around the United States and Canada doing shows for the Country Music/Country Gospel Band that I plan on forming after I learn to play the guitar. The homeschooling will be done in the morning only.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

You may want to investigate what the parameters of a school year needs to be in the state in which you reside.  You may also want to consider that not everyone learns the same way.  Your child may need more than the time you've allotted to master the material necessary for his/her grade.  When your children are younger, you will want to ensure that they become excellent readers and accurate mathematicians.  This can often take more time than you have specified.  Finally, March to September is a long stretch of time for a child to remember the concepts learned previously.  It seems from your statement that this is all theoretical, but nonetheless, you may want to consider other factors before cementing your ideas.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I suppose we would be called a "Homeschool Academy"?  We have several families in our church that do not wish their kids indoctrinated in Oregon's far left public school system.  So the parents of 4 families "pool together" the kids Homeschool curriculum and split the teaching up between them based on school levels (elementary, middle school, high school) and sometimes subject since one of the parents is a math wiz (electrical/mechanical engineer by trade) and can easily teach upper level math.  The kids get plenty of social interaction with other godly kids and field trips and such are much easier since we can use the church bus to take everyone.

• Members

We start in Mid-August and don't finish until late April. We give our daughter 2-3 days at Thanksgiving and then 2 weeks at Christmas. Unless you are planning on doing school on Saturday's and Sunday's you cannot get a full school year in from Labor Day to March. Mornings are definitely doable. We start at 830a and are typically done between noon and 1p. If you start at 7a, you can definitely be done by noon.

Now, Your parameters will definitely work if you don't care about the quality of your kids education. Homeschooling is "School" at home. That means you must educate your children and that takes time.

• Administrators

Alaska had a very good home school program and a lot of resources to help parents do it right. I have a very limited education myself, but found that by following the school districts directions and relying on them for help my daughter got a very good education.

It was not an easy thing to do, it took time and was especially not easy because I worked full time. My experience with home schooling was difficult because I did not have any schooling past the sixth grade and was attempting to teach my daughter grades 8 through high school. I made it a point to get my GED before starting her home schooling, I believe that helped in that I did not feel inadequate for the job at hand.