• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"the spirits in prison"

• Members
3 hours ago, InSeasonOut said:

S

There were giants when the sons of God (sons of Seth???) came in unto the daughters of MEN, and they (daughters of the men) bare children unto them (sons of God). The giants were the children, that's when they were in the earth, resulting from the sons of God.

- So daughters are being born unto the men in verse 1 - then in verse 4 giants are being born unto the sons of God.

The scripture doesn't say that.  

It says there were giants on the earth in those days and after that the sons born to the them became mighty men.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Invicta said:

It says

Quote it.

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

There were giants before and after the flood. The giants are "the same" mighty men

• Members
14 minutes ago, InSeasonOut said:

Quote it.

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

There were giants before and after the flood. The giants are "the same" mighty men

It doesn't say that.

• Members
8 hours ago, InSeasonOut said:

And how a regular man with a woman would begat a giant is beyond me. I read that literally a giant - is a giant - not just a "mighty warrior" or whatever else.

Sorry gotta pull you up on this one.

The Bible says:

Gen 6:4
(4)  There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
Notice that there were giants in the earth in those days; and ALSO AFTER THAT, when.....

The Giants were not the offspring of "the sons of God" and the "daughters of men", but were pre-existing that event. Those offspring became "Mighty men", "Men of renown", but there is no mention of them being giants.

As to Giants:

1Sa 17:4
(4)  And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.

In 1 Sam, 2 Sam, 1 Chron. Goliath and his brothers are referred to as sons of the giant.

A Giant is certainly referred to in the Bible as a large man, but not as anything more than a large man. Six cubits and a span is roughly ten feel tall, which is far taller than the average man today, but it is not far off what has been seen in modern times.

Robert Waldo was just shy of nine feet tall. (around 1940)

Look at Yao Ming, the Chinese basketballer standing next to Shaquille O'niell and tell me taht he is only 7'6" as stated - Shaq is 7'2" (I think) and is waaaaaay shorted than Yao Ming,

Giant in the Bible never means "Jack and the beanstalk" giant.

• Members

Timeline.....

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

There were giants in the earth in those days;

WHEN did men "begin to multiply"? Read Genesis chapters 4 and 5; Genesis 4, 5 and 6 go together. Now, notice that giants, in Genesis 6:4. are "in those days"? "Those days" are "when men began to multiply" in Genesis 4, 5 AND in the 120 years before God sent the flood.  Now notice the term "and also after that". Did the giants cease to exist prior to the "when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bare children........."? No. They were still there. So, what does "after that" mean? It means "subsequent to" or "as a consequence of" or "in imitation of" or "as a result of"  like........

Genesis 1:11 ...."after his kind"

Genesis 1:26..."after our likeness"

The word "after" is also used in the word of God to express "later in time" but it cannot be so in this passage because the whole story encompasses "those days". The verse, Genesis 6:4, actually gives more description to Genesis chapter 5 and explains that "There were powerful, fierce, dangerous warriors in those days(giants) and as a consequence of or imitation or result of that,(after that) the "sons of God" (believers named in Genesis 5) begat sons and daughters for hundreds of years (Genesis 5)) and became very powerful politically (giving in marriage Matthew 24:38)), powerful in numbers (begatting sons and daughters) and became powerful militarily(mighty men). I believe it was the "sons of God" AND the offspring which became "mighty men of renown"; to me, the verse does not specify otherwise. That's all it is bro. 

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Thanks everyone for your comments. I just thought id share a few things, but as I said earlier, this topic is not worth debating ( Hebrews 13:9 ) Not everything I mentioned was even answered nor did I expect anyone must do so, id just rather have more of a fellowship than a debate. I'm sure theres enough of that.