Online Baptist
  • Welcome Guest

Tired of all the fighting that goes on in facebook groups? Are you ready for a community where you can talk about things of God and the Bible without getting branded a heretic? Well, we are glad you found us. Why don't you give us a try and see how friendly and different we are. - BroMatt

Ronda

Giving the Gospel / Are YOU Ashamed of Christ?

Question

11 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Ronda said:

As many missionaries here can attest, they do not have the same freedoms to witness to others as we have here in the US.
Yet sadly, so many of us are frittering away time here, taking for granted we will always have such freedom to share the gospel openly.
I wanted to bring forth this timely encouragement for believers to share the gospel with as many as you can... in whatever venue you can... WHILE you can.

Ronda,

Your thoughts on sharing the gospel of Christ is wonderful. I appreciate you taking the time and effort in presenting this timely message to us. As you mentioned, I can personally attest to that many missionaries do not enjoy the freedoms that are available in America.

Also, we missed you, and your discussions, very much. We understand your physical limitations and health issues. It is our hope that you are doing well. Apparently, I am happy to say, your love for the Lord Jesus has not been diminished since we last heard from you.

May the Lord bless and keep you.

Alan

Edited by Alan
added the words 'attest to'

Thank you, brother Alan. I do hope you and your family are doing well.  You are well aware of the limitations in other nations regarding the sharing of the gospel, as you deal with it every day.

The issue of censorship here in the US is not something most people are even aware of... if they are, they aren't discussing it and the ramifications. Sadly, some won't realize it's happening until AFTER they've lost their freedom to share the gospel in public.  I felt compelled to speak out. I do hope it will spur some on to share the gospel while we have time... however short that time may be. 

Maranatha!

Edited by Ronda
spelling

Yesterday, I shared the gospel with someone with whom I've befriended in Britain. Please pray for him if the thought crosses your mind. He has gotten caught up in the new age mindset of... "we're all one small part of the greater universe"..."all roads lead to the same place"..."we all have good in us, and it's what we do with that good that matters"...etc.

Brother "NN", I sure will pray for your British friend. (Just said a short prayer and will keep this friend in my prayers..). if you would give me a name or PM me a name I can pray more specific, but if not... the Lord will know who I am praying for even if I don't!

I also have a friend from my college days whom I recently found out has stage 4 colon cancer, the cancer has metastasized to her lung now :(  She is a sweet and kind person... but maybe that is the problem! I shared the gospel with her (all scriptural) and also made sure to point out that we are ALL sinners... no matter how "big" or "small" our sins seem to us, that all sins separate us from God, and thus the reason we need  Jesus as our savior to reconcile us to God (in short). I also testified to how comforting and what a peace that passeth understanding salvation in Jesus brings to me personally. 

To make a long story short, her response to me was "I sleep just fine at night knowing I have never intentionally hurt anyone, and am less a sinner than most".   She also said she "wasn't ready" to hear about "that religious mumbo jumbo".

It broke my heart. She really IS a sweet person. But still a sinner, like the rest of the world... even if by her own 'standards' she MAY be less of a sinner than most, she is still a sinner in need of a savior. I am not going to hound her, nor try to shove anything down her throat. I shared the gospel with her, and now hopefully another will water the seed, and God will give the increase (if there is to be one). I am, however, worried about the time constraints. My sister passed on to be with the Lord in 2003. She also had stage 4 cancer, it also had metastasized to her lung... and it wasn't long after that when she passed on. I worry that my college friend (Brita, is her name) claims she is "not ready" to hear, and wonder if she realizes how short her time likely is? (Of course, I didn't bring that up). I don't think she has passed the denial stage since she just made a post about how she is quitting smoking and starting chemo. (Sorry, but if I were diagnosed that far in the all game I wouldn't go through the chemo... especially after watching how it effected my sister's quality of life near the end). 

But I wonder HOW the unsaved world copes with such things? I wouldn't think they would have any comfort? Any hope? Or are they truly in such denial that they think 'everything is going to be fine' and just go on? Anyways... any prayers for my friend Brita (that the Lord would deal with her pride, soften her heart, and lead her to truth in the gospel) would also be appreciated. 

God bless!

Edited by Ronda
spelling

On 5/3/2017 at 4:52 PM, Ronda said:

Brother "NN", I sure will pray for your British friend. (Just said a short prayer and will keep this friend in my prayers..). if you would give me a name or PM me a name I can pray more specific, but if not... the Lord will know who I am praying for even if I don't!

I also have a friend from my college days whom I recently found out has stage 4 colon cancer, the cancer has metastasized to her lung now ?  She is a sweet and kind person... but maybe that is the problem! I shared the gospel with her (all scriptural) and also made sure to point out that we are ALL sinners... no matter how "big" or "small" our sins seem to us, that all sins separate us from God, and thus the reason we need  Jesus as our savior to reconcile us to God (in short). I also testified to how comforting and what a peace that passeth understanding salvation in Jesus brings to me personally. 

To make a long story short, her response to me was "I sleep just fine at night knowing I have never intentionally hurt anyone, and am less a sinner than most".   She also said she "wasn't ready" to hear about "that religious mumbo jumbo".

It broke my heart. She really IS a sweet person. But still a sinner, like the rest of the world... even if by her own 'standards' she MAY be less of a sinner than most, she is still a sinner in need of a savior. I am not going to hound her, nor try to shove anything down her throat. I shared the gospel with her, and now hopefully another will water the seed, and God will give the increase (if there is to be one). I am, however, worried about the time constraints. My sister passed on to be with the Lord in 2003. She also had stage 4 cancer, it also had metastasized to her lung... and it wasn't long after that when she passed on. I worry that my college friend (Brita, is her name) claims she is "not ready" to hear, and wonder if she realizes how short her time likely is? (Of course, I didn't bring that up). I don't think she has passed the denial stage since she just made a post about how she is quitting smoking and starting chemo. (Sorry, but if I were diagnosed that far in the all game I wouldn't go through the chemo... especially after watching how it effected my sister's quality of life near the end). 

But I wonder HOW the unsaved world copes with such things? I wouldn't think they would have any comfort? Any hope? Or are they truly in such denial that they think 'everything is going to be fine' and just go on? Anyways... any prayers for my friend Brita (that the Lord would deal with her pride, soften her heart, and lead her to truth in the gospel) would also be appreciated. 

God bless!

Hello,

If you really want to share the gospel but won't or can't say it, try this. Support some radio / TV station, which does it for you.

May God richly bless You

I also have a friend from my college days whom I recently found out has stage 4 colon cancer, the cancer has metastasized to her lung now ?  She is a sweet and kind person... but maybe that is the problem! I shared the gospel with her (all scriptural) and also made sure to point out that we are ALL sinners... no matter how "big" or "small" our sins seem to us, that all sins separate us from God, and thus the reason we need  Jesus as our savior to reconcile us to God (in short). I also testified to how comforting and what a peace that passeth understanding salvation in Jesus brings to me personally. 

God bless!

God bless!

On 5/1/2017 at 10:31 PM, Ronda said:

Giving the Gospel / Are You Ashamed of Christ?

I had intended on writing a SHORT encouraging note to others about sharing the gospel.
That truly was my main intent prior to setting about to type some thoughts and copy corresponding scripture down...

But as often happens, the Lord put something else on my heart. 
I recently had a discussion with a fellow believer who admitted that he or she rarely shared the gospel with others.
Since the conversation was somewhat recent, it may be why the Lord put it on my heart, BUT I think it may well be that it wasn't this person (in particular) but someone else (unknown to me whom) and perhaps ALL of us that could benefit by serious consideration of the following 2 questions (and why the Lord put it on my heart to bring this forward HERE today, I am not sure, but felt compelled to do so).

The 2 questions I am asking each one of us to consider today are these:
#1. Do you share the gospel with others?
#2. Are you ashamed of Christ?

Most of us here (at least those whom I've come to know somewhat) would likely answer the questions with an emphatic "YES, I share the gospel", and "NO, I am not ashamed of the Lord".

But I'd like to ask you all to take time to delve deep into those answers and see if we ALL couldn't improve?

I'd like to first address any who would be brave enough to admit (even if only to themselves) that they do NOT often share the gospel with others... and ask them Why not?
(And I am not asking for anyone here to come forth to admit they do not, nor give a reason, nor am I singling out anyone in particular... just asking them to please read and consider these things I am writing)

In another group I heard many (anonymous) responses to that question (of why they do not regularly share the gospel) with the following answers:
A. I am shy or uncomfortable sharing the gospel
B. I don't know how to start the conversation
C. I don't know scripture well enough to show (or tell) another person the gospel
D. I could lose my job if I did
E. It starts arguments in the family when I've tried before
F. I would be ridiculed or mocked
G. No-one listens anyways
H. It's not socially acceptable, there is a time and place for that kind of thing
I. I leave that up to others (for varying reasons)
J. I don't have time
K. No one has ever asked me 
L. I'm not a proficient speaker
M. I worry about what others might think of me
N. I am a coward

There are likely hundreds of other answer such as these, but do we recognize they are all EXCUSES???
Yes, if you have never shared the gospel before it can seem daunting and be uncomfortable (at first).
But is that really a good excuse? Just like everything, the more you do something, the more proficient you become at it, the less stressful or intimidated you will feel.
As for those who answer "I don't know scripture well enough"... there is a remedy for that! Only you can determine to study God's word and remedy your ignorance of it... asking prayerfully for Him to lead and guide.

There is another reason which we ALL need to examine ourselves about...
We need to question ourselves truthfully and ask: Are we ashamed of Christ?

Even for those whom have answered "YES, I share the gospel with others", I would like to ask you also to consider this question as well...
Do we find that at times we don't share the gospel because we are worried more about what mankind thinks rather than serving the Lord?

Are we worried that it could cause familial rifts? Cost us social standing? Be passed up for promotion? Possibly even lose a job? 
Either way there is a pattern I have noticed among some believers today. A pattern of shame. 
I wonder how many recognize that with knowing the gospel comes a responsibility to SHARE the gospel with others? 
I also wonder if many of us are waiting around for SOMEONE ELSE to share the gospel with our loved ones???

I've seen many a prayer request (on other venues) for an unsaved family member, but when asked it they themselves have shared the gospel with that loved one the response is often some hemming and hawing, and an admission of "NO", they have not.
The excuse most often given is "it never seems to be the right time".
I'd like to note that it is ALWAYS the right time to share the gospel. 
No-one is promised tomorrow... if that unsaved loved one were to die today and YOU didn't share the gospel with them... how will answer the Lord? Will you then make more excuses as to why you didn't share the gospel? Do you think HE will accept them?
Some serious questions we need to each ask ourselves... and if you are waiting for an opportune time, might I suggest NOW.

" Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?"

"Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame."

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

"And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us."

"As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."

"For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."

" For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."

"According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death."

"Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began"

There is more scripture to draw from regarding this topic. But I wonder if we couldn't ALL do better insharing the gospel.
I can attest to the fact that both Christians and conservatives are being censored on Facebook and other social media platforms.
Over the last year I have felt compelled to share the gospel there where it is needed most.
I was recently banned on facebook for 24 hours for quoting (ironically). 
The very next week I was given a 72 hour ban (which only lasted 24 hours???) with no real reason given.
The facebook message from "facebook security" stated that they had "noticed suspicious activity on my account"... but they failed to note exactly WHAT the alleged "suspicious activity" was!

I have heard numerous accounts from other Christian and conservative facebook users in regard to this.
I have one friend on facebook who ONLY posts scripture, and she also was given a 24 hour ban recently.

For far too long, we in the states have become complacent, thinking that we will always have the free speech we enjoyed thus far in our lifetimes.
Many of us have become lazy thinking that now that republicans hold the presidency, the house, and the senate that our freedom of speech is secure.
Even though the left lost the election, they are still in control of most media. Zuckerberg (facebook) as well as the owners of Google are openly censoring conservative and Christian content. (If you haven't YET noticed a change in your search results there on Google, you soon will).
They have gotten together (along with many leftist groups) in order to determine what THEY think is "fake news", which of course means that anything in opposition to their own liberal-left-leaning ideology they will deem to be "fake news".

As many missionaries here can attest, they do not have the same freedoms to witness to others as we have here in the US.
Yet sadly, so many of us are frittering away time here, taking for granted we will always have such freedom to share the gospel openly.
I wanted to bring forth this timely encouragement for believers to share the gospel with as many as you can... in whatever venue you can... WHILE you can.

If you are not sure what the gospel IS... it is found in

1 "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;"
2 "By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain."
3 "For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;"
4 "And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures"

The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ Jesus.
Sadly, this is often overlooked in an attempt to share WHY one must believe on Jesus for salvation, and skip right to the "believe" but not WHAT to believe! (A watered down version of the gospel).

How many times growing up did I hear the Billy Graham style mantra of HIS version of the "gospel"?
Graham's version was: "Ask Jesus into your heart".
Where, I wonder, did he find THAT "gospel"? And how many were deceived by it?

Now that we know what the gospel is, we also know that we must BELIEVE the gospel.

16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
17 "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."
18 "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
10 "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

"And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation:
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation."

We see then that the gospel (the death, burial, and resurrection) must be believed for salvation.
We further see that Jesus took OUR sins upon Himself on the cross... He went willingly to, to pay for those sins which we coud NEVER pay for ourselves ("...all our rightousness are as filthy rags..." ).
Salvation is a free gift, but one must BELIEVE and accept the gift... it is not 'automatically applied' without belief. In fact, tells us "... he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.".

We further see that in His resurrection, Jesus defeated death... rising in a glorified, uncorruptible body!
So that we (believers) will ALSO have a body like Jesus' own perfected eternal body (1 John 3:2).
When will we receive those uncorruptible/perfected bodies? At the rapture!

51 "Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,"
52 "In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."
53 "For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."
54 "So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory."
55 "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?"

13 "But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope."
14 "For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."
15 "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep."
16 "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:"
17 "Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
18 "Wherefore comfort one another with these words."

God's word tells us to "comfort one another with these words".
Nothing is more comforting to a believer than to know that Jesus has defeated both sin and death... and HE is the reason for the hope that is within us.

Won't YOU share the gospel with someone today? Or could it be... and be honest with yourself and with the Lord... that you are ashamed of the gospel? Ashamed of Christ?

If you really want share the gospel, but for some reason, you can't do it verbally, try to support some Christian radio or TV station financially. They do it for you.  

May God richly bless you

To our new brethren,

Through correspondence, both public and private, Ronda is a personal friend of Sherry (my wife), and I.

And, as most of those who have been long-time members of OnLineBaptist, are aware of that Ronda is completely bed-ridden.

In spite of her being completely bed-ridden,  Ronda is active in witnessing to others that take physical care of her, her family, and writes extensiveness in other forums.  Ronda is an active witness, and able Bible expositor, in both the public and private realm.

Although sometimes her boldness here on OnLineBaptist has been controversial; her witness for the Lord Jesus, her love for the souls of men, and her dedication to the work of Christ on a hospital bed, is noteworthy, commendable, and admirable.

In my estimation, Ronda's love, faith, works, and witness, is to be followed and not questioned.

Alan and the Mrs.

44 minutes ago, Alan said:

To our new brethren,

Through correspondence, both public and private, Ronda is a personal friend of Sherry (my wife), and I.

And, as most of those who have been long-time members of OnLineBaptist, are aware of that Ronda is completely bed-ridden.

In spite of her being completely bed-ridden,  Ronda is active in witnessing to others that take physical care of her, her family, and writes extensiveness in other forums.  Ronda is an active witness, and able Bible expositor, in both the public and private realm.

Although sometimes her boldness here on OnLineBaptist has been controversial; her witness for the Lord Jesus, her love for the souls of men, and her dedication to the work of Christ on a hospital bed, is noteworthy, commendable, and admirable.

In my estimation, Ronda's love, faith, works, and witness, is to be followed and not questioned.

Alan and the Mrs.

To whom it may concern,

Although I myself have on this site in the past had (what some might call - significant) conflict with Ronda concerning certain points of doctrine, I HIGHLY COMMEND HER SPIRITUAL CHARACTER ON THE GIVEN POINT OF BROTHER ALAN'S POSTING!!!!!!

Thank you all, brothers Alan and Scott, and sister Sherry. I'm sorry that I had not visited here as often as I'd hoped, as each day over the last year that I had strength to type I devoted it to researching/writing articles for a Christian publication. My heartfelt gratitude to both brothers and sister for defending me in my absence.  

And while I have not always been in complete agreement with either pastor in regard to scriptural exegesis, I do highly regard both pastor Alan (and his wonderful wife Sherry) as well as pastor Scott Markle as both devoted men and women of God whose main desire is to serve the Lord and share the gospel with the lost. I have learned from both pastors as well. As we know from God's word that iron sharpens iron (Prov.27:17) and I deeply appreciate all conversation and discussion I've had with both (and even often times simply reading what they've written to others). 

Both of these Godly men have given their lives to serve Christ. Pastor Alan and his wife have sacrificed the comfort and familiarity of the US to do mission work in Taiwan, at times in peril of their life. Pastor Markle has a full time ministry in Michigan (forgive me if I have that wrong). Both pastors spend their own time here on OB helping answer questions and adding to discussion. I commend them for their tireless efforts. 

To the person who suggested the following:

On 5/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, Kivancsi said:

If you really want share the gospel, but for some reason, you can't do it verbally, try to support some Christian radio or TV station financially. They do it for you.  

I would suggest that time and money is better spent funding Missionary work. While there are several decent Christian radio broadcasts, I find very few (if any) television programs worthy of donation. And pertaining to the Christian radio broadcasts: one also should consider whether or not they are actually spending time sharing the gospel? Or are they spending more time promoting books, videos. conferences (for fee), or other materials? Again, I think money could be better spent on mission work. And/or if you are so inclined, to procuring actual gospel tracts (with sound doctrine) that can be mailed out, handed out, or left in numerous public places for the lost to find. (If one cannot properly articulate the gospel themselves). 

Thank you all. God Bless!

Maranatha!!!

We need to PRACTICE what we PREACH so that we may be examplary of what a genuine Christian ought to behave as so that we may be the "salt of the earth" and not a light hid under a bushel. If a person is intrigued, they will let you know about it. The more we grow spiritually, the better we understand the Lord's purpose and the plan of God, the closer we are personally walking with Jesus Christ, the better we will become at discriminating in these matters, and the more effective our witness will be in any case -- not just through our words, but also through our Christian walk.

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word [be won] by the conversation of the wives; (1 Peter 3:1)

The principle here applies to us all. When unbelievers see us happy in hard times, hopeful in desperate straits, blessing when being cursed, trusting God with all our hearts even when everything is falling apart, it will not be lost on them there is something "different" about us. Of course, if we are acting pretty much like the rest of the world, well, whatever "good words" we have to share will not be anywhere near as effective. In all these things, we really do not have to worry at all. And when we do get a chance to give the gospel, it is the Spirit who is making the truth of the good news about Jesus Christ and eternal life through faith in Him and His work on the cross real, meaningful and understandable to the object of our attention. Our job is to get our personalities, our prejudices, our personal feelings, and our ignorance out of the way as much as possible. 

But God does the real work. My advice is to keep on with personal spiritual advance through studying and believing the truths of the Word of God. As we grow in the truth, we will make better and better applications to our life in all things, including witnessing, and we will gain in confidence about what is right to do and when to do it in all matters. This is a very under-appreciated theme in scripture, especially in today's church age, but it is an extremely important one as the emphasis placed upon it the Bible surely shows (Rom. 1:28; 2:18; 1 Cor. 11:28; 16:3; 2 Cor. 8:8; 8:22; 1 Thes. 2:4).

God Bless!