• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Were Men Born Again Before Pentecost?

• Members
2 hours ago, S.T.Ranger said:

And again, I appreciate all the participation.

Mr. S.T.Ranger (stranger ?),

My apologies. After careful consideration, I'll be dropping out of this discussion/debate.

A few years ago, I gave up debating. I originally intended for my first response in this thread to be my only input.

I'm aware of all of the different mysteries revealed to Paul. It seems that you base your view on regeneration can only happen through the indwelling Holy Spirit. Despite all that you've provided, I still don't see it. I'll hang my hat on John 3 for now; however, I'll also consider all you've said (and Wretched's input). I can't say my belief will change, because I'm confident in where I stand, but...

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Have a good evening.

• Members
2 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Mr. S.T.Ranger (stranger ?),

You got it, lol. I also go by Pilgrim on some forums (strangers and pilgrims).

My apologies. After careful consideration, I'll be dropping out of this discussion/debate.

A few years ago, I gave up debating. I originally intended for my first response in this thread to be my only input.

Sorry to see you go, NN, you've been a great participant.

I'm aware of all of the different mysteries revealed to Paul. It seems that you base your view on regeneration can only happen through the indwelling Holy Spirit. Despite all that you've provided, I still don't see it. I'll hang my hat on John 3 for now; however, I'll also consider all you've said (and Wretched's input). I can't say my belief will change, because I'm confident in where I stand, but...

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Have a good evening.

That's good enough for me. If someone will simply keep the things we have discussed in mind when they read the New Testament I am confident that eventually it will click.

It's just been one of my favorite topics for years, beginning with the time I was telling someone they had to be born again and the Lord seemed to ask me "...do you know what that means?" And I had to stop and say, "No, to be honest...I don't."

So just give it some thought. Out of the many people I have discussed and debated this with it is usually about 5% that do not react negatively to the idea that men were not born again before Pentecost.

So just want to leave you with one thing as a focus in our discussion, that you might ponder it sometimes: you have asserted your belief that men can be born again without being eternally indwelt, so, that means we must define being born again as something not connected to Eternal Salvation. The reason is this: no man received eternal redemption of eternal life until the True and Living Bread came down from Heaven, and that is not really something one can debate, for this is precisely what Christ taught.

The question is, are you okay with that kind of regeneration?

Again, you've been great, NN, and sorry to see you leave.

God bless.

• Moderators

"It may be that your lack of diligence in understanding the Word of God explains your tendency towards hostility for people you do not know, your assumptive slander, and your attempt to disrupt..."

Whoa, there. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean they don't understand the word of God.   We don't make those kind of accusations here. 

As a newcomer, it would behoove you to pay attention to established members when they seek to give you guidance for how we do things here.   For them to give you some gentle guidance, and have you threw it back in their faces,  reflects rather poorly on you.

Since, as I said earlier, I think this is an argument about semantics, I'm not following the subject matter here very closely. I am making no judgements as to who is 'right'.   However, as this topic  seems to have come to a standstill, and its originator  appears to be combative, I'm going to shut it down to prevent this debate turning into a fight. 

• Moderators
On 4/27/2017 at 4:01 PM, DaveW said:

So you are saying nobody was saved before this verse?

Yes, that is what I am saying. To be 'saved', it was necessary for Jesus Christ to die and be resurrected for sin to be fully atoned for. The righteous before this died and waited for Him in Paradise, but could not ascend to glory because the price for sin had not yet been paid. After Jesus died He went and preached to the spirits in prison, and on their faith in Him, they were taken to glory.