• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How to Understand Revelation and Daniel

• Members

I've read the book of Revelation and Daniel at least twice before, but I wasn't really able to understand the prophecies therein.
I know that the Holy Spirit will guide you of all truth but I don't really know how to understand it.

I can read some opinions from other Christians but how will I know if they are right?

How were you guys able to finally understand those books?

• Members

By reading and attempting to understand all the other books. Genesis through Revelation. Each book builds onto the next. Prophesy is not for the novice but is basically the pinnacle that sits on top of a person's culmination of scripture knowledge. You cannot understand an end of a thing until you first learn about it's beginning and substance. Daniel happens after the kingdom of the nation of Israel is taken away and Revelation happens after God's church is taken away. Too often many try to interpret prophesy without first learning anything about God's order, of Israel, of His church, or of the world in general. Prophesy books or bible lessens from Godly men you trust can help get a broad overview of events or suggested meanings but in order to fully grasp prophesy yourself you need to be patient and open to learning the foundational aspects of scripture first.

Daniel 12:8-10 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things? 9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. 10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

Edited by John Young

• Members

Here is a very broad overview.

The prophecies of the Old Testament prophets concerning the Messiah and His sufferings (Isaiah 53 for example), were fulfilled in the the Lord Jesus Christ at His coming as revealed in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

The prophecies of the prophets concerning the cleansing of the rebels of the nation of Israel, the judgments pronounced on the nations of the world (not only the nations surrounding Israel), are fulfilled as revealed in Book of Revelation.

The proper sequence of the fulfillment of the prophets concerning the nation of Israel, and the the judgments of the nations of the world, are revealed in Revelation chapter 6-20 

The fulfillment of the restoration of the nation of Israel, with the Messiah as King and Judge, is revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

There are no prophecies concerning the church in the Old Testament.

My wife just called me to supper, so, more to come later ....

• Members
12 hours ago, Alan said:

The fulfillment of the restoration of the nation of Israel, with the Messiah as King and Judge, is revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

Seems to me that this refers to those millions of martyrs murdered by the papal beast.5

Of course there are.  Acts 3:24  Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.

• Members

Invicta,

You are mistaken. Revelation 20:4-6 is the literal 1000 Year Reign of Christ as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Acts 2:34 is referring to the first coming of the Lord Jesus as a Lamb to take away the sins of the world.

Celina, and the Brethren,

I had previously covered the literal fulfillment of the prophecies concerning Revelation 20:4-6 on another thread; here is the link to that study.

If anyone has any question concerning any of the lessons dealing with the prophecies of the Old Testament and the fulfillment in Revelation 20:4-6 I would gladly answer them in the thread that I linked to, "Revelation Bible Study."

Concerning Acts 3:24

The context of Peter's sermon in Acts 3:12-26 is a sermon on the first coming of Christ as the suffering Messiah, as prophesied in Isaiah 53, for the sins of the world. Invicta miss-applied that one verse (he took it out of context), to give the apostle Peter's message a different meaning.

I would suggest the brethren look closely at Acts 3:14-18 and following. The apostle Peter clearly tells the audience to repent and believe the prophets. "But those things, which God before hath shewed by the mouth of his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled." Acts 3:18 Peter is clearly referring to the prophecies concerning Christ suffering as Messiah; he is not referring to any prophecies concerning the church.

Alan

• Members

Celina, I would counsel you to ignore pretty much anything Invicta says about prophecy.

His position on such matters is certainly not Baptist, and it is also not Biblical.

He will lead into false interpretive practices, and therefore to false conclusions.

• Members
27 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Celina, I would counsel you to ignore pretty much anything Invicta says about prophecy.

His position on such matters is certainly not Baptist, and it is also not Biblical.

He will lead into false interpretive practices, and therefore to false conclusions.

And I would counsel you to ignore anything DaveW says about prophecy  His teachings are not Baptist but Plymouth Brethren. I have been there, I know.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

And I would counsel you to ignore anything DaveW says about prophecy  His teachings are not Baptist but Plymouth Brethren. I have been there, I know.

What is this? Childishness day?

This is nothing more than a false accusation and a slander.

I do not even know the teachings of the Plymouth Brethren, but I know you constantly lie about many issues and make up your own histories to suit yourself.

I gave a just a warning, and one that would be supported by many here, and can be plainly shown to be true - and has been on occasion.

Now how about you leave the thread for some useful information.

Edited by DaveW

• Members
19 hours ago, Celina Capalad said:

I've read the book of Revelation and Daniel at least twice before, but I wasn't really able to understand the prophecies therein.
I know that the Holy Spirit will guide you of all truth but I don't really know how to understand it.

I can read some opinions from other Christians but how will I know if they are right?

One thing to keep in mind is that you do not have to understand everything right now.

2Pe 3:16
(16)  As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

It is a hard thing to do, but we sometimes need to just accept the fact that we are not ready to understand a passage fully. Let it be, and maybe next time your come to read it you will understand something more.

In the debate section there is a lengthy debate regarding Daniel chapter 9 where many aspects are brought forth. You could do far worse than taking the time to read it. You will see in there two vastly differing styles of interpretation, and that in itself will help you with your study, aside from the information included.

It is here.

The thing to keep in mind is that the Bible says what it means and means what it says.

Compare everything that you are told about prophecy with the Bible.

Read every passage that is referenced and see if it really is saying what the writer or teacher says it means.

Use your Bible search program (I use e-sword) to find other passages that talk about the same sorts of things, but remember that just because the same word is used, that doesn't mean that it is the exactly the same thing. When you read a "Cross-reference" from a writer, you may find that it is talking about a similar sounding battle, but when you read the full passages that describe the battle, you find it is actually a different battle in each passage. (or whatever event you are researching).

I rarely teach about prophecy because there is so much I do not understand properly. When I do teach, I am always careful to let people know when I am in area that I am unsure about, and I present it only on that basis.

I have no problem at all in letting people know that I am still learning when it comes to the Bible. I do my best, but I still have a long way to go.

• Members
3 hours ago, DaveW said:

One thing to keep in mind is that you do not have to understand everything right now.

2Pe 3:16
(16)  As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

It is a hard thing to do, but we sometimes need to just accept the fact that we are not ready to understand a passage fully. Let it be, and maybe next time your come to read it you will understand something more.

In the debate section there is a lengthy debate regarding Daniel chapter 9 where many aspects are brought forth. You could do far worse than taking the time to read it. You will see in there two vastly differing styles of interpretation, and that in itself will help you with your study, aside from the information included.

It is here.

The thing to keep in mind is that the Bible says what it means and means what it says.

Compare everything that you are told about prophecy with the Bible.

Read every passage that is referenced and see if it really is saying what the writer or teacher says it means.

Use your Bible search program (I use e-sword) to find other passages that talk about the same sorts of things, but remember that just because the same word is used, that doesn't mean that it is the exactly the same thing. When you read a "Cross-reference" from a writer, you may find that it is talking about a similar sounding battle, but when you read the full passages that describe the battle, you find it is actually a different battle in each passage. (or whatever event you are researching).

I rarely teach about prophecy because there is so much I do not understand properly. When I do teach, I am always careful to let people know when I am in area that I am unsure about, and I present it only on that basis.

I have no problem at all in letting people know that I am still learning when it comes to the Bible. I do my best, but I still have a long way to go.

Thank you!

I'm currently reading the debate now.
Thanks!

• Members

Celina,

Very happy to hear that you are reading the debate between Pastor Markle and Covenanter on Daniel 9:24-27

At times the debate is hard to understand and follow. Do not get discouraged. Pastor Markle uploaded a PDF file on the debate. I would suggest you get the PDF and study it at your leisure. Pastor Markle was correct in his interpretation of Daniel 9:24-27 Here is the link to his PDF files:

In interpreting Daniel (and other prophetic prophecies of the Old Testament, remember that all of the prophecies are literal (with some descriptive symbolism on occasion), and primarily directed to the physical blessings to the nation of Israel. 

There are two general verses in the New Testament that are given to us in order to help us understand prophecy. If you study Daniel and Revelation with these two general thoughts in mind, it will be a beginning in your understanding of the prophecies of the scriptures.

I will briefly use the debate between Pastor Markle and Covenanter as an example. Pastor Markle believed that the promises in the Old Testament of the coming Kingdom of God on the earth was given to the Jews and Covenanter believes that all of the promises in the Old Testament were either fulfilled in the Old Testament, given to the church in the New Testament, or symbolically fulfilled in the New Testament church. Covenanter was in error concerning the prophecies of the Old Testament.

Although Pastor Markle may not mention these verses, you may notice how he uses the concept of these two verses in his interpretation of Daniel 9:24-27

1. "Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God." 1 Corinthians 10:32 the Apostle Paul clearly differentiates between the Jew, the Gentiles and the church of God (the saved saints in the church age). In the physical blessings of the coming (and last), kingdom on the earth, as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6 and Daniel 7:9-14 and 27, Pastor Markle was able to differentiate between the passages of scripture dealing with the Jews, Gentiles and the saved saints. Covenanter believed that God will not bless the Jews with a restored nation and was not able to differentiate between the  promises in the Bible given to the Jews, the Gentiles, and the saints.

2. "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15 In the debate between Pastor Markle and Covenanter, Pastor Markle was able to 'rightly divide' the scriptures while Covenanter was not able to 'rightly divide' the scriptures.

Hope the above thoughts will help you in your walk with the Lord as you study Daniel and Revelation.

Alan

Edited by Alan
added the scripture reference

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Celina,

I have a little more time on my hands and I wanted to explain why I had previously said that, "There are no prophecies concerning the church in the Old Testament."

And, I wanted to give you some more material for you in your study of how to understand the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation.

On 2017/4/26 at 7:06 PM, Alan said:

The Apostle Peter said the saints in the dispensation of the church age are to receive spiritual blessings in lieu of the physical blessings that the nation of Israel is to receive. In the New Testament, there is not one physical promise given to the church. For example. The Jews were promised land; the Church is promised no land. The total inheritance of the Gentile saints in reserved for us in heaven; in eternity we are given a new body, a home in the New Jerusalem, and other blessings in eternity.

"To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you... Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." 1Peter 1:4 and 9 The end of the blessings, and promises of all the Gentile saints, is the salvation of our souls.

The  Apostle Paul stated concerning the blessings that the saints in the church were to receive (all spiritual none are physical). Also, please take careful note, these blessing within the dispensation of the church was 'hidden' from the past generations, or the generations of the Old Testament saints, and the prophets. "Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: Where I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to the saints." Colossians 1:24-26 

The church is not promised the physical blessings of the restored kingdom of God on the earth, Revelation 20:4-6, nor is the promises given to the Jews in the Old testament given to the church.

In the Larkin thread, I discussed these matters more fully in the context of Daniel and Revelation. Here are two links that you may use:

On 2015/10/7 at 7:14 AM, Alan said:

I do hope that the discussion on Jeremiah 29 and 30 and its relationship of the time of Jacob's trouble as prophesied in Jeremiah 30:7-9 has been a blessing to all of you. If there are any other topics that need to be discussed concerning the book of Revelation by Larkin please let me know.

One fact that some brethren often overlook when studying chapter Revelation 6:1-19:10, the 7 Year Tribulatian Period, is that all the signs given by the Lord Jesus in Matthew 24 (discussed by Larkin on pages 62-64) are given to the Jews and not to the saints in the church age. We need to remind ourselves what the Lord Jesus told the early church.

The Lord Jesus plainly stated to the disciples concerning His coming again and restoring the kingdom to Israel, (see Acts 1:6), "And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." Acts 1:7 None of the signs of the times listed in the scriptures are for the church; they are all for the Jews.

Alan

On 2015/10/13 at 3:40 PM, Alan said:

Invicta,

Thank you. Your friend is correct; the tribulation period will happen sometime. Give my regards to Ian.

“Revelation 6:1-19:21, Overview.”

By Clarence Larkin

Review by Alan

Four review notes by Alan.

1. The charts in this review are copied from my own book. As there is not a page number on some of the doubled charts, I am giving the reader the page number before and after the chart in question.

2. When I quote Larkin, I will quote him as he wrote; i.e., Capitalization, bold print, punctuation and COMPLETE WORD CAPITALIZATION.     

3. I have changed my title of this overview from, “Revelation 6:1-19:10,” to, “Revelation 6:1-19:21,” to reflect Larkins’ rendering of Daniel’s Seventieth Week.[1]

4. The charts are not given a number designation.

“Daniel’s Seventy Weeks.”

Clarence Larkin, from page 48-52, convincingly proves that the events from Revelation 6:1-19:21, are in fulfillment of the prophecy given to Daniel in Daniel 9:1-27.

Larkin says, “The Vision of the “SEVENTY WEEKS” is the most important revelation, in many ways, made in the Scriptures. We are here told that this Period of “SEVENTY WEEKS” was determined upon Daniel’s people ( the Jews ), and upon the HOLY CITY ( Jerusalem ). This is very important. It discloses the fact that the “SEVENTY WEEKS” have nothing to do with the Gentiles, or the Church, but only with the JEWS and JERUSALEM. It also discloses another important fact that the “SEVENTY WEEKS” only cover the period when the Jews are DWELLING IN THEIR OWN LAND, and does not cover the present period of their Dispersion. We are told in verse 24 that those “SEVENTY WEEKS” were determined for a SIX-FOLD purpose.”[2]

Larkin then goes into suitable detail to prove his interpretation of Daniel 9:24-27 and the fulfillment thereof in Revelation 6:1-19:21

Larkin sets the foundation of the fulfilled prophecy in Revelation according to the prophecy given to Daniel in Daniel 9:1-27 Larkin proceeds to interpret each statement in Daniel 9:24-27 with the proper relationship with the nation of Israel according to Old and New Testament scripture. For example: Romans 11:26 & 27; Zechariah 12:10, 13:1; Isaiah 66:8; Habakkuk 2:14; Ezekiel 41; Zechariah 6:12 & 13, etc...

Larkin goes into the necessary detail with the dating involved in Daniel 9:24-27

Larkin’s, “The Tribulation Period or Daniel’s

Seventieth Week” the Reign of the Antichrist.” Chart.

Larkin 70 Week Chart.jpg

The above chart is located between page 48 and 49

Coupled with the above chart, Larkin then proceeds with another chart to show the relationship of the timing of Daniel’s Seventy Weeks as compared with the, “Times of the Gentiles.”

Larkin’s, “SEVENTY WEEKS” “Times of the Gentiles,” chart

Larkin 70th. Week Chart Page 51.jpg

The above chart is on page 51.

Matthew 24 and Revelation 6

Immediately after his dissertation on Daniel 9 Larkin gives us some interesting similarities between the, “Olivet Discourse,” of the Lord Jesus and the order of fulfillment in Revelation 6.

Larkin’s, “Comparison of Christ’s “Olivet Discourse” and “Revelation Six,” charts.

Larkin Matt. 24 Chart Page 62 & 63.jpg

The above chart (one of two charts), in found on page 62 & 63

Larkin Matt 24 Chart Page 64.jpg

This chart (number two of two charts), is found on page 64.

[1] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 48

[2] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 49

Celina,

Here is the link to the Larkin thread:

Edited by Alan
grammer spelling not to no

• Members
On 4/26/2017 at 5:00 AM, Celina Capalad said:

Daniel 11:36-45 describes Ezekiel 38 & 39 and Revelation 6:1-17

Daniel 12:1-7 describes Revelation 12:1-17 And Zachariah 14:1-5 The earth will open and swallow the army of Antichrist as the Red sea swallowed the army of Egypt.

Reading and understanding all the prophets will help you understand Revelation.

Edited by Eric Stahl

• Members
On 2017-4-27 at 2:09 AM, DaveW said:

I do not even know the teachings of the Plymouth Brethren, but I know you constantly lie about many issues and make up your own histories to suit yourself.

If you don't know them, how can you say you don't follow them?