• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

MY Bible.

• Members

Got to thinking when reading the rebinding thread, that I wouldn't go to that trouble for a Bible of mine.

I am not really a "sentimental" person.

My old Bibles get put into a bookshelf and I look through them for notes on occasion.

But I actually don't even add notes that often. I tend to write them elsewhere during study.

I fully understand people getting sentimental about their old Bibles, but I am not one of them. For me, it is the words within the pages, not the individual copy that I value.

Again, I am not in any way belittling those who hold their old Bibles as valued old friends, I am just not one of them.

Am I alone in this?

Which way is it for you?

• Members

Yeah, I am fussy with my Bibles - when I get a new one, I normally try to get one without any notes or annotations at all.

But my regular reading is often done on my phone now, much of my study is done on my computer, and my preaching Bible rarely leaves church.

I have a hardcopy at home, another in my car, and my preaching Bible, and use each at different times.

But that is one reason why I tend not to put notes in a bible - I would struggle to remeber which one I put the note in.

I DO still write the odd thing that cannot wait but be put down RIGHT NOW, but only occasionally.

I have often thought that I should do more in-bible notes because I love to see an old preacher's Bible with stuff written it, but then I don't really do it anyway.

I think that is probably the worst thing about my lack of sentimentality.

• Administrators

My hubs still has the Bible he had before we got married. I don't know how long he had it before we met, but by the time we did meet, he had already used black electrical tape to "re-bind" it. He taped the entire book so that it looked uniform. One Sunday morning we got to church (after going a number of miles on I-270 in Columbus, OH) only to find that Randy had left his Bible on the top of our car. And it was still there! 

He has re-done the tape once since we've been married. He uses it for studying. I don't think it's sentimentality that causes him to hang on to it. I think he just likes this particular one. It's not the same one he uses when he preaches. It is large print, even though he didn't need large print until recent years. ;)  The one he uses to preach from is also large print (up until a couple of years ago, he used a regular-print Bible to preach from).

We have all of our old Bibles. For my hubs, it's not sentimentality except for the Bible he gave his grandmother and got back when she died. I have a Bible my grandpa gave me the year I started college, as well as the Bibles my great-grandmother and great-great-grandmothers had - those I'm keeping for sentimentality's sake as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm of the same mindset.  Before entering the ministry I was a computer programmer, so I'm fairly attached to my computer.  All of my Bible study is done in front of my computer.  I have 2 Bibles at my desk - 1 in English, 1 in Spanish....both are the $1 "disposable" type Bibles because I find that the bindings come apart regularly.  I make 0 notes in my Bible.  At Church I use a nice bi-lingual Bible which never leaves the pulpit.  Again, I don't move it because the bindings come apart too easily.  I love "the Bible", but I'm not sentimentally attached to "a Bible".  I can fully understand why people have such deep respect for a particular copy of scripture, which has sentimental/historical attachments, but I'm just not one of those people.

• Members

I have all of my old Bibles, all the way back to the one I got when I was 13, Except for the ones I've given away to new converts and young preacher-boys over the years. The Bible I use now is from Local Church Publishers, and has extra-extra wide margins down the sides, and no references. I do make a lot of notes in my Bible, and have entire sermon outlines in those margins. I study using Sword Searcher on my computer, but all of my reading and preaching is done out of that Bible. Well, that's actually not true. When I'm working in the summer at the ranch where I guide horseback trips into the mountains, or on hunting trips, I take a different Bible that is smaller and not so dear to me. I even have a waterproof Bible, but I never use it, the print is too small. 

• Moderators

I suppose one of the reasons I've considered rebinding my Bible, is not just so much notes, since I do't really make a lot of them, but because the particular study Bible is not longer being printed, and has become very difficult/expensive to find. It is called the New Open Bible, and it has great notes-not like doctrinal stuff, which I generally ignore, but things like weights/measures, explanations of customs, locations, a section on archaeological finds that support the Bible, a great topical concordance, and so on. They still print the 'Open Bible", but that has about half of what mine has, and I find myself very helped by it. I can occasionally find it in hardback, but I don't like hardback, and even those are rare.  

• Members

I am attached to my bible. I write notes, word definitions, highlight, etc.

I always use the same bible for everything, whether it's studying, preaching, door to door, etc. I like being familiar with my bible, I like knowing where verses are on the pages, etc.