Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Prayers Needed

Rate this topic

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Thank you all. Things are going surprisingly well. Thank you Lord! 

Other than...

I was pulled over by the police last night on my way home from work...no lights on my license plate. I had no idea they were out. He was nice and courteous...just letting me know they were out.

Took our cat to the vet...she has an abscess and has either flea allergies, or she is stressed and needs medicine to control her stress and anxiety...

I'm sorry if this offends anyone...especially...cough, cough...PETA pundits...but...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! 

That's almost $200 that wasn't planned for.

Other than that, my wife is doing well with all things considered. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your prayers and please continue if you will.

Cat psychology...

LOLOLOLOL! 

Got the cat home today. She has a drain tube attached so the infection can drain. I didn't want that in the house, so I built her a pen outside out of a dismantled pallet that I got from work. Went and bought chicken wire to close it in so she'd be safe to stay outside. Did this for my wife. I'm an old country boy and usually let nature take its course with animals, but I see all of this as a way to help my wife since she loves that stinkin' cat so much. ;)

$70 more dollars at the Vet due to complications, and I have to take the cat back Friday so they can remove the drain tube...probably another charge for that. LOL!

21 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

or she is stressed and needs medicine to control her stress and anxiety...

21 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

CATastrophe avoided

During the session, all of the cat's anxiety was traced back to when she was a kitten. tee hee...

My wife is doing well, and this trial has brought us even closer. Thank you all for your prayers. Please continue if the thought crosses your mind.

9 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

During the session, all of the cat's anxiety was traced back to when she was a kitten. tee hee...

My wife is doing well, and this trial has brought us even closer. Thank you all for your prayers. Please continue if the thought crosses your mind.

She never knew her dad, and the others in her litter kept pushing her off the teat - hardly surprising that she has anxiety issues...... :laugh:

I am not fussy on animals (I like them, but if they get sick I am happy to let them deal with it and see the result) - but a couple of hundred spent to help your wife be at ease is definitely worthwhile - forget the cat - it is really about the wife......

My wife and I did some "home improvement" today. We painted one of our doors black on one side (the side that faces outdoors); it opens out onto our carport. We haven't decided what to do about the front door...whether to paint it red (or a blue color) or stain it again. The black color was my wife's idea, and I wasn't that keen on it; however, it looks really good!

Then, I got to have some destructive fun and removed the handrail and balusters from the bottom flight of our stairwell...the newels are coming down tomorrow. 

We continuously find all of the great work and craftsmanship that went into our house...it was built in 1998; we bought it in 2006. The handrail was attached to the newels with drywall screws...

The newel on the bottom floor is (and has been) loose ever since we bought the house, but our son has ensured its looseness over the years. :laugh: Wouldn't surprise me to find that it's attached with rubber bands at this point...

We're trying to slowly get our house ready to sell. Our dream (Lord willing) is to move to Florida or Australia...looks like Florida is going to win. My wife keeps seeing videos of people getting bitten by killer spiders in Australia, so she's afraid to move there. :laugh:  No matter how much I reassure her that it's not really like that, she just won't have it. So...we're hoping to move to a place with killer alligators instead. :4_11_3: :laugh:

My wife is doing well, and I'm cherishing this time of closeness that we're experiencing. Thank you all for praying.

Sydney has the killer spiders, but it is just really a big(ish) city and that is about enough reason to stay way.:laugh:

Move to Perth, Western Australia - nothing here wants to kill ya.

Unless you go into the water - a few sharks in the ocean. But not many that bite.

And if you go into the bush you might find a tiger snake or a Dugite or a king brown, any of which could kill you if you catch them on a bad day.

I might stop now because I don't think I am doing much good to my cause!:15_1_63:

But seriously, there really isn't much here that wants to kill you, in spite of the talk.

But it costs a lot to get here.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Rosie said:

I recommend central florida.. the southern part is so noisey and busy

I agree with Rosie, central Florida is best. A lot less people, not as hot in summer. I lived within 20 minutes of the Gulf. That gives you the best of both worlds because you can get to the water for boating, fishing and swimming without a long drive, But you also have access to the central part of Florida, away from the salt water. The central part is great for camping, fresh water fishing, beautiful lazy rivers and marvelous horse ranch and citrus fruit growing country.