• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Winkler murder

• Members

Saw in Fox News that Winkler is home and has full custody of all her children. She spent a grand total of 12 days in jail and 2 years in psychiatric care.

I can't help but think she got off easy because she claimed her preacher husband mentally and emotionally abused her. I guess we really don't know, maybe he did....but still....seems like religion played a part in getting extra sympathy (anti religious sympathy) from the jury.

I always think of those Thompson brothers stuck in prison for decades down in Texas when women like this get off SO easy..... wow.

Guest Guest

[quote="Kitagrl"]She spent a grand total of 12 days in jail and 2 years in psychiatric care.[/quote]

She should have served more time, IMO. And, regardless of what he did---I believe she needs psychiatric care for let's say---the rest of her life.

[quote="Kitagrl"]I can't help but think she got off easy because she claimed her preacher husband mentally and emotionally abused her. I guess we really don't know, maybe he did....but still....seems like religion played a part in getting extra sympathy (anti religious sympathy) from the jury.[/quote]

She should have thought of talking to someone (and getting help) before murdering her husband. Now, her children are at risk? :loco ITA, religion did play "a part in getting extra sympathy (anti religious sympathy) from the jury." Sorry, I would label this woman as a "Black Widow." The whole thing is ludicrous, IMO. And, not that I am fond of Paris Hilton, but at the same time this was going on---Paris was served with a greater sentence for drinking and driving. She didn't serve out her whole term, but---Murder of a spouse/Drinking and Driving (where no one was physically hurt???) :uuhm: Where is the justice?

• Members
http://www.remembermybonds.com/

Its not on the website, but its rumored that possibly the father of the son who was spanked (spanking at the church, with permission from the father, however un-smart that was) further abused the boy at home and then blamed it on these two young pastors. Their lawyer had them plead guilty thinking they would get a lesser sentence, but evidently the judges enjoyed making examples of them. It seems Texas is rather harsh on religious cases.

• Administrators

Texas is actually pretty harsh on a lot of crimes. What these young men did wasn't smart...but definitely wasn't worth 25 years of their lives! They are young men who really love the Lord and have been separated from their families for 5 years now. Sad.

I agree...she should have gotten longer punishment. She took a life - it was not in self-defense, since he was lying on his stomach when she killed him. In the society we live in today it is easy to walk away from a marriage. She chose not to...and I don't believe there was anything psychologically wrong with her. Obviously neither did the state if she got custody of her kids. IMO, she should have been put to death - all murderers should, and that's what she is.

• Members
Texas is actually pretty harsh on a lot of crimes. What these young men did wasn't smart...but definitely wasn't worth 25 years of their lives! They are young men who really love the Lord and have been separated from their families for 5 years now. Sad.

I agree...she should have gotten longer punishment. She took a life - it was not in self-defense, since he was lying on his stomach when she killed him. In the society we live in today it is easy to walk away from a marriage. She chose not to...and I don't believe there was anything psychologically wrong with her. Obviously neither did the state if she got custody of her kids. IMO, she should have been put to death - all murderers should, and that's what she is.

Yup, just like the Bible says.

Guest Guest
Obviously neither did the state if she got custody of her kids.

That is a tragedy right there, IMO. These poor children living with a murderous mother. What can the state possibly thinking?

Guest Guest
They think she's a victim of religious persecution. That's what they think. That's why this case is so dangerous.

This is why Hollywood is so dangerous. It sounds like something you might catch on the show "Cold Case." I am tired of shows mocking Christianity. You are sure to see something like it in the news, eventually. Now, more than ever!

• Administrators

This is why Hollywood is so dangerous. It sounds like something you might catch on the show "Cold Case." I am tired of shows mocking Christianity. You are sure to see something like it in the news, eventually. Now, more than ever!

And it's only going to get worse...

• Members

Seems like this case is a bad precedent for, say, teenagers who feel being raised in a "strict" Christian family is "abusive". I just now wrote the CLA to see what bearing the Winkler case has on future "Christian" murder cases.

Guest Guest

And it's only going to get worse...

Yes. :thumb It seems that all the shows are nothing but garbage. Hubby and I are going to be having a very looong talk about keeping one TV for VHS-DVD movies that are teachable, and then, we can rent any good old-fashioned movies from the library. These TV's are out of here. You know me LuAnne, when I get serious about something, that is it! hehe. I have had it with "Hollyweird" filth. I don't need these TV's---and, hubby will appreciate it in the long run. LOL. The Christian women from my old IFB church (MIL and SIL's) have been telling me not to do this, but the Lord is telling me to muster the strength and get this job done. :Bible:

• Administrators

Yes. :thumb It seems that all the shows are nothing but garbage. Hubby and I are going to be having a very looong talk about keeping one TV for VHS-DVD movies that are teachable, and then, we can rent any good old-fashioned movies from the library. These TV's are out of here. You know me LuAnne, when I get serious about something, that is it! hehe. I have had it with "Hollyweird" filth. I don't need these TV's---and, hubby will appreciate it in the long run. LOL. The Christian women from my old IFB church (MIL and SIL's) have been telling me not to do this, but the Lord is telling me to muster the strength and get this job done. :bible:

Don't blame you at all - just make sure that if he says no, you don't push it! Sometimes a woman's passion can get a man's dander up. :lol: If he says no, just keep praying about it and try again another time. My hubby had vowed to God before we ever met that we wouldn't have a tv in our home. And we never have...we do have a computer that shows dvd's, but we don't watch movies on it. Just documentaries, and very rarely. If we want to watch a movie, we go to my office or the library = so it has to be really good to make it worth it!!

Seems like this case is a bad precedent for' date=' say, teenagers who feel being raised in a "strict" Christian family is "abusive". I just now wrote the CLA to see what bearing the Winkler case has on future "Christian" murder cases.[/quote']

Yeah - the precedent could be bad if other courts wanted to follow it. Let us know what they say to you - I'd like to hear their opinion.

• Members

My husband loves watching tv, its relaxing to him. However he did decide to cancel cable tv, which was nice. We subscribe to Netflix (really nice) and then have our own videos, and antenna tv for basic ballgames and news (we rarely watch that) and etc.

• Administrators
My husband loves watching tv' date=' its relaxing to him. However he did decide to cancel cable tv, which was nice. We subscribe to Netflix (really nice) and then have our own videos, and antenna tv for basic ballgames and news (we rarely watch that) and etc.[/quote']

My hubby likes it too - but he saw what it did to his family as he was growing up (a tv in every room) and didn't want that...so we don't. :Green We've read a lot of books that way. Boy - has this gone off topic! :lol: