• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gardens

• Members
On 2017-4-27 at 11:48 PM, Invicta said:

I planted a couple of rows of potatoes recently but as this is now the softest soil in the garden all the cats in the area sreem to think I did it for them and they keep digging the potatoes up in their excavations.

Been digging my potatoes for a few days now.  Much tastier than those in the shops. 

When I was young, Jersey Royals were said to have the best taste.  Today they don't have much flavour. Some say this is because the EU banned them from using seaweed,as fertiliser, others that it is because they now grow them under polytunnels.  Either way, my spuds taste like I remember Jersey Royals. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

Been digging my potatoes for a few days now.  Much tastier than those in the shops. 

When I was young, Jersey Royals were said to have the best taste.  Today they don't have much flavour. Some say this is because the EU banned them from using seaweed,as fertiliser, others that it is because they now grow them under polytunnels.  Either way, my spuds taste like I remember Jersey Royals. 

Already? Wow-we can't do it til sometime in Fall-they barely do much underground until the greens die above ground.

I have tried kale at times.  Sometime it was very bitter, others it was very tasty.  The fake chinese dish called "cripy seaweed" is finely shredded deep fried kale.

Kale-bleah! Tastes like bug spray! I bought a can of Raid once and the can said, "Contains real kale." Even the chickens wouldn't eat it, and they eat their own dead!

• Members

I like kale mixed in with my salad.

A friend of my wife turned us on to what she calls "kale chips"...

• Break up (or chop) the kale into pieces the size of potato chips
  • Put them on a baking sheet
  • Drizzle lightly with olive oil
  • Sprinkle lightly with sea salt
  • Bake them until they get "crispy" (I can't recall the temperature used...sorry)

They will look like a deep dark green to almost black in color. They're actually quite tasty.

• Members
19 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Already? Wow-we can't do it til sometime in Fall-they barely do much underground until the greens die above ground.

Mine are first early, very quick maturing.  I don't plant the late ones as they usually get blight..

• Moderators

Mine are first early, very quick maturing.  I don't plant the late ones as they usually get blight..

Mine do okay so long as we don't lose them to the hornworms. But if we keep our soil properly balanced with all the necessary nutrition and minerals, the plants will actually discourage pests

• Moderators
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:18 AM, Invicta said:

I have not heard of hornworms. We have leatherjackets whih are the larvae of the crane fly, a.k.a. daddylonglegs.

CP-01-09-Tomato-Hornworm-JSS-HD.jpgHere is your tomato hornworm. They are from the sphinx moth. They prefer plants from the deadly nightshade family, tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco and the like. As you can see they're quite large and can do a lot of harm to your plants very quickly.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Now that's a downright nasty looking critter Bro. Mike.

yeah but the chickens LOOOVE them! And they come in other colors too, but the green ones, as big as they are, when they're on your plants, are almost invisible. I have stared five minutes at a plant before realizing that it was covered with them.  But we also found that, with proper soil nutrition, the plants will actually repel the moths from laying their eggs in them, and we remain pest-free.

• Moderators

I live in an apartment, but have a little 4x10' community garden nearby.  Finally got it planted a week ago last Monday (that's LATE! We usually plant right after the May long weekend). Beans, carrots, onions, zucchini, and the perennial rhubarb. I don't always remember to take care of my garden but if nothing else, I get lots of rhubarb. :D

Oh, and dill and bachelor's buttons.