• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gardens

• Administrators

Ok you folks. I know that some of you are getting your gardens started, but I see no posts about what you are doing or planning this year. I am pretty sure that the southern zones are frost free by now.

Remember that this new forum was put up specifically for subjects of this nature and we need to liven it up.

I can't post anything about gardens because I have a "brown thumb". But some of you may have, or may benefit from what others are doing. It seems like there are always tips and tricks that others do that can helps someone out.

• Members

I hope to see more input too. Unfortunately, it appears that the member (who was instrumental in getting this part of the forum) is no longer active.

I work long and strange hours, so I'm limited to my bucket garden. Perhaps one day, I'll have a somewhat normal life and can pursue an actual garden. :)

• Members

So far I have just got my early potatoes in.  I had decided not to grow them again, but I bought a bag of Rocket reduced from £4 to 50p and couldn't resist it.  I am still tryng to harvest the last of my leeks.  The ground has been so hard, I could not dig them, but a few days ago we had some rain so some have been easier, the rest I will run my Mantis Tiller near and should be able todig them from there.  Now my asprargus, overwintered letuces and watercress from my small pond.   Still have one celriac and one Fennel to harvest.

• Members

Red Spiney Frontal.JPG

8 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Remember that this new forum was put up specifically for subjects of this nature and we need to liven it up.

We do not have a vegetable garden, but, we do have a 'flower garden.' Does that count?  :4_12_2:  Or, is it off topic?  :15_1_63:

• Administrators

Nope, not off topic, gardens is gardens, they are all the same to me. Matter of fact, I may even like flower gardens more than veggie gardens, mainly because I am not a veggie person. I'll eat them, but most are eaten under protest.  :4_11_3:

• Members
20 hours ago, Alan said:

Red Spiney Frontal.JPG

We do not have a vegetable garden, but, we do have a 'flower garden.' Does that count?  :4_12_2:  Or, is it off topic?  :15_1_63:

About 50 years ago I bought a book called Modern Gardening. Looking at the pictures and the plant varieties recommended it doesn't seem so modern now.  Most of the chapters are on flowers and shrubs.  Vegetables occupy just a small section at the back. Many of the chemicals mentioned are banned now,

Edited by Invicta

• Members

I grew up on a small farm.   That was many years ago.  Here in the south we had a mild winter.  It had sometimes been warm in February and March with trees and flowers blooming early.  Just a couple weeks ago we had a cold spell with lows near freezing and even down to around 28.  If seeds in a garden were coming up or if plants had been set, they would have been frozen unless they were covered up. 

I had tilled the soil a couple times earlier, but I just planted a small garden this past week.  One day I put some green bean [half runners] seed in the ground.  Later I bought a few plants to set out [tomatoes, bell peppers, squash, cucumbers].  This past Friday I put some pinto bean seed in the ground.

Edited by Tyndale

• Members

I planted my herbs and most of my flowers today it will be mid-June before we start harvesting anything. 

Dill, egg plant, broccoli, Cilantro, Thyme, Rosemary, Arugula, a multi colored Kale I had not seen before, Oregano, Basil something else I can't remember.

Daffodils, Carnations, Zinnias', we found a green zinnia so we planted some of those as well as rose moss, and a host of other colorful flowers.  The wife is excited as always, and wants me to order the colorful solar night lights they only last 3 or 4 years and then have to be replaced.     

• Members

I planted a couple of rows of potatoes recently but as this is now the softest soil in the garden all the cats in the area sreem to think I did it for them and they keep digging the potatoes up in their excavations.

• Members

My two week push to get yard and garden in shape is nearing its end.  In five days I plant in my straw bales and look forward to having a tomato by the end of June or first part of July.  I will plant corn, lima beans and pinto beans on Thursday about two weeks late but I should still be ok with the hot summers here in Oklahoma.  Funny thing I ordered 5000 Moss Rose seeds and when I got them they are so small I have to put my glasses on to see them.  The package says not to put them in the ground but to gently push each seed into a soil indention.  I had to pull out some old planter boxes and plant the seeds in them and now I am waiting for them to grow so I can transplant them. 

Edited by Orval

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My squash are loaded with squash and blooms.

The first row, left to right, is zuccinni, next two rows are yellow crookneck, and the last row is butternut. At the far end of the zuccini row, separated by an eggplant, is over half a row of okra. We had some yellow crookneck last night for supper.

Edited by heartstrings