• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Let My Women Go"

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Believe it or not I have never seen a church "force" ladies to wear dresses. Maybe there is one somewhere. :lol: Now I have seen where the majority of the ladies in a church believe that a woman should wear dresses and say so, and due to that I have seen some claim they are being "forced" but it's just peer pressure and nothing more... I might add in churches where most of the ladies wear paints the peer pressure is still there, it just goes the other way.

As a side, I am just curious, but due to your statement I have a question, what is the difference between "a child in training" and a babe in Christ?

BTW not saying that a new Christian should be "forced" unless we can define what is meant by "forced" first. :wink

I've been in a church that did more than just use "peer pressure" to get women to get rid of their pants. The pastor preached it (actually, it was more like yelling sometimes) from the pulpit. The pastor's wife and youth pastor's wife were basically the "modesty patrol". If a girl had been going to the church for a long time showed up in a pair of jeans, they'd pull her aside and question her. I watched it happen... they brought a girl to tears once, just because the only time she showed up in jeans was when she brought her sisters. (this girl had been coming for years through the bus ministry... and maybe it was peer pressure from her sister for her to wear pants... but seriously, that's the last time I saw her sisters come to visit the church)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
Believe it or not I have never seen a church "force" ladies to wear dresses. Maybe there is one somewhere.

We have a couple IFB churches in Cleveland like this. Thankfully, my church is not one of them. My pastor told my Sunday school class a story about a pastor years ago. He called the women "harlots" from the pulpet who weren't wearing dresses or
skirts. Now, that is horrible. :thumbdown

As a side' date=' due to your statement I have a question, what is the difference between "a child in training" and a babe in Christ?[/quote']

This is a whole other topic to me. When I first started going to the IFB church, I thought I should have been in a "special service" for new converts and believers. Unfortunetly, the IFB church only has "Junior Church" for the younger children. I really feel that "a child in training"---"and a babe in Christ" should be in "Junior Church" as well. My MIL also felt that the pastor of my old IFB church should have kept my son in "Junior Church" for a longer period of time, too. If the RCC can do it---then, the IFB certainly can. I won't even go into marriage counseling prior to a couple getting married. :hijack: The RCC is on the money will this one as well---with Pre-Cana, except they are lacking the most important thing---the Bible.

Guest Guest
I've been in a church that did more than just use "peer pressure" to get women to get rid of their pants. The pastor preached it (actually' date=' it was more like yelling sometimes) from the pulpit. The pastor's wife and youth pastor's wife were basically the "modesty patrol". If a girl had been going to the church for a long time showed up in a pair of jeans, they'd pull her aside and question her. I watched it happen... they brought a girl to tears once, just because the only time she showed up in jeans was when she brought her sisters.[/quote']

I have seen the same thing happen myself. Youth rallies are a great place to see this occur. Talk about driving a young girl away. It is sad. :sad

Guest Guest
This is a whole other topic to me. When I first started going to the IFB church, I thought I should have been in a "special service" for new converts and believers. Unfortunetly, the IFB church only has "Junior Church" for the younger children. I really feel that "a child in training"---"and a babe in Christ" should be in "Junior Church" as well. My MIL also felt that the pastor of my old IFB church should have kept my son in "Junior Church" for a longer period of time, too.

Agreed, I don't know for sure about a "special service" but certainly a more mature Christian to help guide them...

Guest Guest
That is why I only preach on modesty. Let the HS work in the peoples life.

:amen::goodpost: Pastorj. :thumb As my pastor tells us---"We can't play the Holy Spirit." "The Lord doesn't need our help." :lol

Human nature tells us that God needs our help---and, we know that is our "sin nature" talking. If we lead by example, then we are doing what Jesus Christ wants us to do. :thumb

BTW, this thread was very helpful. Thank you to those of you who contributed. :wave:

Guest Guest
Agreed' date=' I don't know for sure about a "special service" but certainly a more mature Christian to help guide them...[/quote']

:amen: Although, some IFB churches don't think of this. Some churches just expect that you come equipped knowing what they know. I had no idea that there were 66 books in the Bible---much less being able to have my Bible open during service for the reading and studying of God's word. :lol The "Junior Church" teaches the rhyming song for the books of the Bible. Now, that is helpful for a "new babe in Christ." :thumb

I was very thankful for the "New Members" class that my current IFB church has in place. This is very helpful for a new-believer. Although, I wish I would have had that from the "get-go." I am not knocking my old IFB church at all, BTW. I just see things from a "teacher" point of view. :smile I am always looking for ways to improve something. Unless, it is the KJV 1611 AV. :amen:

• Administrators

Interesting posts. :Green Like Kita, I'm not going to argue with anyone...there's no profit in it. But I did want to say that there are more principles than modesty at work in our appearance. I have suggested this book before, but I wanted to suggest it again. It is called The Fall and Rise of Christian Standards by David Kidd. He is a pastor, but I'm not sure even what his denomination is! He used the KJB throughout when he referenced scripture. And he talks about more than clothing. It's really a very good read, even if a person disagrees with his conclusions.

• Members

Has anyone here read David Cloud's book called Dressing For The Lord (something like that)? I am thinking about ordering some more of his books, and just considering some of the titles to purchase. Thanks.

• Administrators
Has anyone here read David Cloud's book called Dressing For The Lord (something like that)? I am thinking about ordering some more of his books' date=' and just considering some of the titles to purchase. Thanks.[/quote']

I have, Jerry, and it is good. In fact, he quoted David Kidd's book, and that is how I found out about it.

Sean was posting as I was...I agree with him.

• Members

Linda has read excerpts from it and told me about it. We do not recommend it. David is very legalistic in his view on women's dress.

David Cloud is against women wearing pants altogether, so there is a natural bias toward that direction in the book.

Scripture nowhere mentions pants being forbidden on women... nowhere.

Guest Guest
Like Kita' date=' I'm not going to argue with anyone...there's no profit in it.[/quote']

Very well stated, LuAnne. IFB's should be able to discuss without arguing. :thumb

Guest Guest
Has anyone here read David Cloud's book called Dressing For The Lord (something like that)? I am thinking about ordering some more of his books' date=' and just considering some of the titles to purchase. Thanks.[/quote']

If this is an older book---my MIL probably has it. She loves David Cloud's books. :smile My in-laws have libraires full of Christian books. It helps when your FIL runs a Christian bookstore, too :lol Talk about great deals. LOL.

• Administrators

Boy, the term legalism is sure tossed around freely...

Just to be clear...David Cloud in no way links pants on women to salvation. THAT is legalism. Nor does he in any way indicate that women should be forced to wear them. Nor does he state that a woman is in poor standing with God if she wears pants. He presents information that is good to read...whether a person agrees with his conclusions or not is up to the reader.

Again - I recommend the book. Regardless of the bias. If the reader is aware that the author is going to conclude that women should wear pants, that is enough "warning." All, and I do mean ALL, people respond according to their bias...even we posters here on OB. We all say that we are obeying scripture...but it is still our bias. That is no reason not to read an author. The whole book - not just excerpts.

candlelight - Cloud's book isn't old, but it isn't brand new, either. As far as your "Laura's Home" girls go - when a woman or a girl walks into a church, it is the responsibility of the members to treat her as Christ would. And the pastor is to preach the Word of God. And Christians are to let the Holy Spirit work. He does, and He does it better than any of us can do...kudos to you and your church for your work with those needy girls!!! :thumb