• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Let My Women Go"

Guest Guest

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
I wanted some feedback on this KJVO website that is out there regarding women and dress. Thoughts.

http://www.KJV1611.org.uk/Do%20Godly%20 ... ousers.htm.

My thoughts? I disagree with him. Kitagrl is right that arguing about it isn't going to do a bit of good though. :lol I do find it interesting when he talks about that issue being used to define "real" IFB's. He is correct that issue alone is not what makes a "real" IFB but you might say it is a common "test" issue. It is a fact that if you know the stance of a church or person on certain issues you will likely know their stance on many other issues. For example, show me a picture of a baptist congregation and I can probably give you a fairly accurate description of their doctrinal views, what there church service is like, what their "youth group" is like, etc. based on the appearance of the people alone. That doesn't mean that I am Sherlock Holmes, anyone who has been to many baptist churches can doubtless do the same. Of course it isn't 100%, man does indeed only look on the outside while God sees the heart, but often a great deal can be told from the outside...

• Members

PastorJ,

With all respect, that is exactly what the Pharisees did, added to what the Word of God required of man. If I add to Scriptures and say God requires something of man that cannot be found in Scripture, then I too am being Pharisaical.

Jesus called people who added their own rules to what God required much worse things than Pharisaical... much, much worse.

But, I digress. It is obvious people need their ears tickled nowadays to make them feel good about the laws they try to put others under.

It is a shame though that truth has to be squelched in order not to offend.

Guest Guest
Woman according to the biblical standard are called to dress modestly no matter what they are wearing. I have seen women is dresses and skirts that are not to modest. I have seen woman in slacks that are very modest.

ITA. :thumb Some of the mini-skirts out there are unbelievable! My hubby has made comments about them, and how they show off a woman's legs. :-S

Who knows? With the price of everything going up---I may go back to sewing again. My mom and my aunt taught my sister and I how to make dresses and skirts as girls and teenagers. That is an idea. Hmmm? Some of these girls might want to wear something that someone has hand-made for them. :smile

Guest Guest
Kitagrl is right that arguing about it isn't going to do a bit of good though.

I was hoping to discuss, not argue. Sorry. :sad I didn't know that this was subject that was already a "hot" topic.

That doesn't mean that I am Sherlock Holmes' date=' anyone who has been to many baptist churches can doubtless do the same. Of course it isn't 100%, man does indeed only look on the outside while God sees the heart, but often a great deal can be told from the outside...[/quote']

Oh, c'mon, Seth---I know you are a descendent of "Sherlock Holmes." Now, your identity has been exposed. :lol

I do agree with your last statement---God sees the heart, as we know. People can't see the heart, but they see our example. The unsaved notice a difference, IMO. Yet, I will stick to the "personal" conviction statement. No one should do something out of force---unless, they are a child in training. Christians should want to do something, because they desire to do it---not because someone may be watching (I am talking about fellow Christians.) The Holy Spirit should always be our guide. :amen:

• Members
Again' date=' I agree with you, but to come in and call another poster a pharisee because they hold to a position that is different and they believe to be true is inappropriate. Good people disagree on this issue.[/quote']
Go back and read my posts, PastorJ. I did not call anyone a Pharisee. I said it is acting Pharisaical to add laws that are not in the Word of God.

One can act foolish and not necessarily be a fool just as one can act Pharisaical and not be a Pharisee.

Guest Guest
Again' date=' I agree with you, but to come in and call another poster a pharisee because they hold to a position that is different and they believe to be true is inappropriate. Good people disagree on this issue.[/quote']

I agree that we should be careful not to call people Pharisees who just honestly believe a woman is more modest wearing a skirt. However, there are many Christians out there who believe a woman who wears only skirts is more spiritual than a woman that puts on a pair of pants occasionally.

Actually, my husband and I have met some of these "Pharisees". They run around with a "better than thou" attitude, and seem to think they're the "example" of what a Christian should be.

Those are the kind of people that walk into a church and judge everyone's spirituality by what they see. It's crazy.

Guest Guest
Actually' date=' my husband and I have met some of these "Pharisees". They run around with a "better than thou" attitude, and seem to think they're the "example" of what a Christian should be. [/quote']

KJB_Princess---in the Great State of Ohio? No!! :lol You have got to be kidding me? :puzzled:

Guest Guest
I was hoping to discuss, not argue. Sorry. I didn't know that this was subject that was already a "hot" topic.

Well, it is definitely a "hot" topic. There are usually a few who get nasty and cause trouble so these threads often end up locked... Just shows that NOT wearing dresses is just as important to some women as wearing modest dresses is to others...

No one should do something out of force---unless, they are a child in training. Christians should want to do something, because they desire to do it---not because someone may be watching (I am talking about fellow Christians.) The Holy Spirit should always be our guide.

Believe it or not I have never seen a church "force" ladies to wear dresses. Maybe there is one somewhere. :lol: Now I have seen where the majority of the ladies in a church believe that a woman should wear dresses and say so, and due to that I have seen some claim they are being "forced" but it's just peer pressure and nothing more... I might add in churches where most of the ladies wear paints the peer pressure is still there, it just goes the other way.

As a side, due to your statement I have a question, what is the difference between "a child in training" and a babe in Christ?

BTW not saying that a new Christian should be "forced" unless we can define what is meant by "forced" first. :wink