• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Let My Women Go"

Guest Guest

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

[quote="Pastorj"]Though I agree with his conclusion, he approached his study with an obvious bias.[/quote]

Hi, Pastorj. I am glad a pastor answered my question on this. I am not trying to "stir" up trouble, but I noticed this article, and of course---it caught my attention. So, you think his bias led him to elaborate on this too much? I am curious, is all. After being raised in the RCC---it was pretty much unheard of to not wear a dress or skirt to the Catholic Mass. The whole clothing thing changed in the RCC in the 1980's.

I wear a dress or skirt to church services because [b]#1 I was taught that way[/b]. [b]#2 It is the house of God[/b]---and, I want to dress appropriately for our Lord and Saviour. This is my own "personal" conviction. :smile

• Members

I do believe he is biased.

I believe that the pants issue is one of personal conviction rather than Biblical. I believe that women ought to wear skirts and dresses to church, however I do see there are appropriate times for women to wear slacks that are modest.

The issue to me is modesty. Of course there are many on this board who will disagree with me.

• Members

What to do...say my opinion again and start this discussion again....

Or not say it and feel like I'm giving in to something I disagree with...

Or whine that this topic is being brought up yet again?

"C." :lol:

Guest Guest

[quote="Pastorj"]I believe that the pants issue is one of personal conviction rather than Biblical. I believe that women ought to wear skirts and dresses to church, however I do see there are appropriate times for women to wear slacks that are modest.

The issue to me is modesty. Of course there are many on this board who will disagree with me.[/quote]

:amen: :goodpost: I am asking because I work with women at a non-denominational homeless shelter. I have donated many articles of clothing to the home. Many clothing articles are dresses and skirts that they can wear to church. Although, some of these girls do not feel "convicted"---yet, I guess. I will keep them in prayer. :pray

My pastor brings up the "modesty" issue every now and then. It is scriptural. He makes comments on how modesty is very important---and, he does comment on how he likes it when women wear dresses and skirts, because it is appropriate for church.

Can OB keep the "Laura's Home" in prayer? Some of them go to liberal Bible believing churches---then, return to my IFB. I believe the "low cut" shirts and tight jeans are a big distraction. :eek :puzzled:

• Members

The building that many call Church is not the Church. The people are the Church.
Also, the building is not the house of God. the people are the house.

1 Peter 2 declares we are the spiritual house. 1 Peter 4 also declares that judgment must begin at the house of God. Peter then goes on to tell what that house is... if it first begin with us; we, the Church, His Body, are the house of God.

As to dress, there is not a specific as to what clothing a woman is to wear other than it is to be modest clothing. Pant's are not mentioned in the Word of God for men or women. If it is forbidden for women to wear pants, then it is forbidden for men as well.

One might say a woman wearing pants causes a man's attention to be drawn to where it should not be, but the fact is there are women who lust after men as well in this sin-sick world we live in.

Pants, skirt, or dress, men are going to lust after women.

What kind of clothing should one wear? Modest clothing. that which is not too tight. I have seen women wearing slacks that were loose fitting and not that which would cause a man to lust after them any more than many blouses or skirts that some wear.

I would rather see a woman wearing a loose fitting pair of slacks to Church than a tight fitting blouse or dress or skirts with the slit clean up to mid thigh.

Scripture nowhere says a woman cannot wear slacks, so one should not be legalistic and tell women they can't. Legalism will drive many away from the very building they need to be in. And if God wants them to wear a dress, let Him tell them Himself. His Spirit does guide and direct His children. His Spirit chastens those He loves.

If you want to be legalistic, and say women can't wear slacks, then you may as well tell them men they are not to wear undergarments. Only priests were permitted to wear breeches (underwear) in the Word of God. And nowhere in the Word of God is that said to have changed.

Guest Guest
Or whine that this topic is being brought up yet again?

Sorry, kitagrl. If you read my post below---you might understand why God placed this burden on my heart.

My pastor selected me and 4 other women to help form a new ministry in my church. I am presently reading a book called, WOMEN WHO CHANGED THE HEART OF THE CITY---The Untold Story of the City Rescue Mission Movement, by Delores T. Burger.

"This great city rescue mission movement began in Scotland in 1826 and history records its founder as one David Nasmith, a sickly bookkeeper, we founded the Glasgow City Mission, the London City Mission, and the Dublin, City Mission, all still in operation today. Until now little has been written about Frances Nasmith, wife of David. When David died at age forty, Frances was a young widow with five children. And then there was Maria McAuley...but let's not get ahead of our untold story." Introduction---pp. 16-17. STEVE BURGER---Executive Director, International Union of Gospel Missions.

• Members

I know...but its a no win battle...and every time I try to explain my position, I just get frustrated. I'm especially trying to bite my tongue...er....stifle my fingers?.... regarding the post by standingfirm....because it never does any good to discuss this, as everybody knows what they believe, and nobody has any intention of changing that.

Guest Guest
The building that many call Church is not the Church. The people are the Church.
Also, the building is not the house of God. the people are the house

:amen::goodpost: SFIC. :thumb

I would rather see a woman wearing a loose fitting pair of slacks to Church than a tight fitting blouse or dress or skirts with the slit clean up to mid thigh.

Good point. :thumb

Again, I think it is a matter of "personal" conviction. I don't think it is at all Christ-like for a believer to look down on someone, though, if they don't dress the way they think they should dress. Obviously, these girls---except a few---aren't interested in wearing dresses or skirts to church. They profess to be saved. Even the most "clean cut" person, though, may not have their heart right with God.

I will be approaching "new territory" with the City Mission ministry. As an unsaved person it was a "no brainer"--- so, I just want feedback on how to go about this new ministry. The core group will be encountering many things---it is a "street mission." We will be going about the streets of Cleveland to seek help for the needy. Downtown Cleveland is filled with homeless people in need of a shelter. I :pray that I am still able to keep an open mind as I did when I taught school in the inner-city. This is a whole new "ballgame" so to speak for me.

Guest Guest
I know...but its a no win battle...and every time I try to explain my position' date=' I just get frustrated. I'm especially trying to bite my tongue...er....stifle my fingers?.... regarding the post by standingfirm....because it never does any good to discuss this, as everybody knows what they believe, and nobody has any intention of changing that.[/quote']

I would say it is a "personal" conviction?

I know that I can't expect a newly saved person to become "convicted" of this immediately. They have so many other things that need addressing first---drugs. alcohol. smoking, cursing, stealing, education, job, childcare. Well, you get my drift. :smile I think the cleanliness matter is the first step. :ideas: Then, the Holy Spirit will be their guide. :wave:

Guest Guest
That is why I said there were some on this board who disagreed with me.

Pastorj---I am chuckling on this one. :lol This is the beauty of OB. We are like family. :lol: It reminds me of my pastor talking awhile back about the "Ecumenical Movement." He said, "We can't even agree in our own church some of the time, much less with the rest of the religions in the world." :smile I love the IFB church. :wave: