• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jesus Died to Repair the Glory of God

• Members

I'm interested to know...

• Just where did God's glory get injured?
  • Just where does the Bible state this? 
  • If the Bible doesn't state this, just where is it alluded to? 
  • Just where does the Bible state (or allude to) Christ's reason for dying was to repair God's glory? 
  • Just where in the Bible does it state how man can injure God's glory at all? 

Basically I'm asking this, is there any biblical basis for any of this, or is this just Calvinist mumbo-jumbo?

https://hellochristian.com/7226-john-piper-jesus-died-to-repair-the-injury-we-had-done-to-the-glory-of-god

• Members
2 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I'm interested to know...

• Just where did God's glory get injured?
  • Just where does the Bible state this? 
  • If the Bible doesn't state this, just where is it alluded to? 
  • Just where does the Bible state (or allude to) Christ's reason for dying was to repair God's glory? 
  • Just where in the Bible does it state how man can injure God's glory at all? 

Basically I'm asking this, is there any biblical basis for any of this, or is this just Calvinist mumbo-jumbo?

https://hellochristian.com/7226-john-piper-jesus-died-to-repair-the-injury-we-had-done-to-the-glory-of-god

The Bible says that when we sinned, we all came "short of the Glory of God". We didn't damage it, we never attained it. That's how I understand it.

• Members

First, let me clarify that I DO NOT normally read things like the article I linked to. I found the article by following a couple of links from the Lighthouse Trails Blog, and when I saw the title of the article...curiosity got the best of me...

I do know that Calvinists put a lot of emphasis on God's glory. That seems to be one of their theology addictions.

I know there is this in Isaiah...

Isaiah 43:5-7
5   Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
6   I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
7   Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

In the past, I preached a sermon with verse 7 above as my main text, and used that to show that though God was speaking to Israel in that verse, we (as Christians) are also "created" for God's glory...and no, I don't ascribe to Replacement Theology either. LOL!

In the sermon, I used several areas; in which, the New Testament attests to how Christians can (and should) glorify God. I can't remember each one that I brought out right now, and I didn't bring all of the areas out during the sermon either. However, there are many areas given; in which, we are to glorify God...or...the things that we do will bring glory to God.

So I have no problem with God's glory...or even emphasizing God's glory. He does deserve glory. I won't let a Calvinist's abuse of it cause me to shy away from it.

My main concern in that article is...off of the top of my head...I couldn't think of any biblical basis for what he was asserting. However, I realize that I could be wrong, and if I was wrong, I wanted to know. Not because I have a new-found acceptance of Calvinism...but because I've learned that I'm often wrong even when I think I'm right. LOL!

At this point, I think it's Calvinist mumbo-jumbo used as just another way to "prove" their "God's glory rhetoric". I guess I'd have to listen to the John Piper podcast (that's linked to in the article) to get the full story and such...but that's not gonna happen...

• Members

God is a lover and a giver: not a self-centered taker. The Bible says the reason Jesus went to the cross was "for the JOY set before him", not for some worldly, twisted concept of glory. But He WILL receive glory. The degree of glory that God will receive for having humbly and graciously and lovingly and impartially extended His invitation for salvation to every single sinner who ever lived or will live, will be FAR more glorious than any concept Piper, MacAruthur, Sproul  or any other man can dream up. You see; their (g)od is limited, because his compassion is limited, his love is limited, his grace is limited but ours isn't.  God is love, the Bible says.

Philippians 2:5

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

The "Elect" of God, (Christ) will get the glory for what He DID. He EARNED it by doing the things listed above, while doing them for something else: for pure love, joy and peace in the Holy Ghost and nothing else.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

hummm.. I've never heard the phrase like that.  A quick search:

1Ti 1:17* Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

2Ti 2:10* Therefore I endure all things for the elect’s sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

1Pe 5:10* But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

Ps 24:7* Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.

Ps 24:9 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.

Isa 60:19* The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.

Da 7:14* And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

2Th 1:9* Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

• Members

God's attributes in every doctrine we can learn from Bible scripture or from nature points to a God who is independent of any act of man or action from man. For Him even creation is simplistic. Mankind is part of God's creation. For a man or a 'leader' of men to profess harm could be made on infinite eternal God is heresy. In Revelation 4:11 there is no hint of possibility of harm, He who can create can also destroy.

A.W. Tozer wrote, "purge from our minds all ignoble concepts of the Deity and let Him be the God in our minds that He is in His universe." I would add purge from our hearts too.

Tozer also wrote, "This is not the only instance where an attempt was made to slay truth to keep it quiet lest it appear as a material witness against an error." In the of case of Piper, that truth appears to be God's self-sufficiency and total lack of need for anything man has to offer.