• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way of Life:Biblical Shallowness in the Churches

• Members
21 hours ago, 1611mac said:

I see your church is not in the Way of Life church directory.  You can fill out the questionnaire HERE if you are interested. But note that you must score perfect on the 30 questions to be listed (practically).  He went really strict with the listings about two years ago.  Most churches on the list wouldn't not qualify now..  We are trying to locate those and remove them but churches change faster that you can keep up.  I am amazed at how many pastors outright lie on the questionnaire ust to get listed.  (I catch their lie by checking their website and sometimes even Youtube videos, etc.)  

On our last furlough (2011), after reading of the name and church referenced in the O Timothy magazine, I asked the pastor if I could present our mission field to his church. He said that I first had to fill out the questionnaire, and join the fellowship of churches, that Bro. Cloud in his magazine (the older form that you referenced to), first.

In 2011 the form that Bro. Clould was not the one referenced above and it was not as strict.

After prayer, serious prayer, I decided not to fill out the form nor to seek a meeting in the church I first desired to present my field in.

Here are my thoughts.

Missionaires fill out doctrinal questionnaires all of the time. I have in my files probably 60 filled out questionnaires. A few of them are similar in content as Bro. Cloud's. In fact, on our last furlough I helped a supporting church create their own doctrinal form, which they use today. If one of the moderators want to know the name of the church I will give the moderator the name, address, and e-mail address, of the pastor. It is a larger church and somewhat known in the Midwest. So, as Pastor Markle pointed out, except for point 4, I could probably fill out form as requested.

But, after my serious time of prayer, I felt that although I fill out doctrinal questionnaires from churches, I could not fill out a doctrinal questionnaire from an organization (the O timothy Magazine), that would check out, and either approve or disapprove, a local church. My sending authority as a missionnary is my local church and the churches that support me.

It almost seems to me that Bro. Cloud, due to modernism, lack of biblical standards, the emerging church, etc.., is trying to build his own fellowship of churches that match his criteria of doctrine and practice in the churches. I feel this is an error. In his verbal fight against almost all of the IFB groups, movements, fellowships, etc... he is creating one himself.

So, after printing out the current doctrinal questionnaire that you referenced to, I am still not of the opinion of filling out the questionnaire, nor joining the fellowship the Bro. Cloud has started. 

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members
57 minutes ago, Alan said:

-snip-

So, after printing out the current doctrinal questionnire that you referenced to, I am still not of the opinion of filling out the questionnaire, nor joining the fellowship the Bro. Cloud has started. 

Alan

Brother Alan,

In no way is the list hinting at any type of "fellowship."  Bro. Cloud is not trying to create anything other than a list.   It is simply a church directory which can be used or not used.  I can tell you that he gets a LOT of communication from folks who appreciate the list.   I can also tell you that a LOT of the churches do not conform to his "new" criteria for being listed.  Sadly, he has no one to "research and edit" the list to find those that should be removed.  It's all I can do (due to lack of time) to verify new ones and get them listed (at THEIR request).  

You say, "I felt that alhough I fill out doctrinal questionnaires from churches, I could not fill out a doctrinal questionnaire from an organization (the O timothy Magazine), that would check out, and either approve or disapprove, a local church."   The questionnaire is not to "approve" or "disapprove" OF any church.  It's simply a tool to help ascertain if the church is appropriate for the goals set for the directory.  And surely you agree he has the freedom to list whomever he wants.  After all, EVERY contact is initiated by the church itself.  They are asking to be listed.  Very similar to an opt-in mail list.  We are happy to remove any church at any time and for any reason.

You mentioned "filling out a doctrinal questionnaire from an organization." Please note that Way of Life Literature is a local church ministry. It is operated under the direction and authority of Bethel Baptist Church of London, Ontario. Wilbert Unger is founder and pastor of Bethel Baptist. Also please note that Bro. Cloud is a missionary in SE Asia.  See "About" page.

The directory is a "no win" situation really.  People seem to want it... yet Bro. Cloud doesn't want to send people to churches that use CCM and such.  But there is a flip side too. The churches are "emerging" so quickly!   

I wouldn't be surprised if the directory is gone in the next few years.....  So no... Bro. Cloud is not trying to "build his own fellowship of churches."  

You say "I am still not of the opinion of filling out the questionnaire, nor joining the fellowship the Bro. Cloud has started."  That's really good because there is nothing to join!  I wouldn't know what to join you to even if you asked.... A church directory is not a fellowship.

Please consider: There are like minded churches who would like to be in the directory so that when people are on vacation they can have a 50/50 chance of finding a like minded church to worship in.  That's all the directory is.

Thanks very much for your thoughts... I do enjoy all the views and discussion here! 

P.S.  You referenced "O Timothy."  That is simply a monthly publication and you can find free copies HERE. It has nothing to do with the directory.

Edited by 1611mac

• Members
1 hour ago, 1611mac said:

Please consider: There are like minded churches who would like to be in the directory so that when people are on vacation they can have a 50/50 chance of finding a like minded church to worship in.  That's all the directory is.

My father-in-law travels a bit for his job, and often needs some form of recommendation for a church to attend.  He has certainly found that it is no all that easy to find a Biblically sound, worldly separated church in various parts of the country.  Thus he asks my wife to track down what recommendations that she can for the given area where he will be, and Brother Cloud's list is one of those that she uses. 

(By the way -- Yes, my in-laws ARE members of the church unto which I been called to pastor -- my father and mother in-law, my wife's sister and her husband, and their daughter, my niece, and her husband.  Please, PLEASE, pray for me!!! :)  Actually, it is NOT that bad.  Indeed, I have a great relationship with my in-laws.  It is a wonderful blessing.)