• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Plant some beans! :)

• Members

This is a very simple tip and may surprise no one. However, if you're a fan of beans and growing your own, did you know that you can buy a pack of dried beans in the supermarket and plant those? That's what we always did, and it's usually a lot less expensive than buying bean "seeds"...which are what the dried beans in the supermarket are. ;)

My daughter didn't think it would work for some reason, so I planted a couple of beans in a flower pot a few years ago, and they produced enough for one very sparse meal. LOL!

Now go plant some beans!

• Members
41 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

In elementary/middle school, we learned about seed life cycles by planting beans. The teachers used regular beans from a store bought bag, so I always thought it was well-known that the dried beans from the grocery store could be used. 

I still run into a few people who weren't aware of it...or never thought of it.

We grew corn in elementary school. Placed a single kernel on a wet paper towel that was held between two small frames of glass. Kept the paper towel moist each day and let them grow until they started growing past the glass panes. Kind of neat and scary looking at the same time...to a 3rd grader! LOL!

• Members
8 hours ago, Orval said:

now if I could get my rose stems to grow from cuttings.  I have tried a dozen or more with no success yet.  But I keep trying.  Maybe I should try two panes of glass and a wet bounty cloth.  lol

Too bad my grandmother is no longer here for advice...that lady could seemingly pinch off a part of any plant and grow it into another plant.

When I helped my dad cut pulp wood, he used a measuring stick to measure the length of the log cuts...it was just a small tree that he trimmed for that purpose. After using it for some time, he made a new one and just stuck the "used" one in the ground in our yard. The thing started sprouting and growing again. 

• Members
34 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Too bad my grandmother is no longer here for advice...that lady could seemingly pinch off a part of any plant and grow it into another plant.

When I helped my dad cut pulp wood, he used a measuring stick to measure the length of the log cuts...it was just a small tree that he trimmed for that purpose. After using it for some time, he made a new one and just stuck the "used" one in the ground in our yard. The thing started sprouting and growing again. 

I have watched several videos of the process, I have used honey, plant food, sugar etc.  I have not gotten even one to grow roots.  Same with my Avocado seeds, no luck their either.   

• Moderators

We have had good success with vine beans-we grew some purple beans and dragon beans one year. Not so much luck with bush beans, they just wouldn't thrive.

We use pure composted manure from our own animals-mostly goat and rabbit, with some old chicken poop added, but carefully as it can be very hot. Also, be sure your soil has proper nutrients and minerals. Using some limestone dust can greatly enhance your soil's health, as it is chock full of minerals.

• Members
9 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Also, be sure your soil has proper nutrients and minerals. Using some limestone dust can greatly enhance your soil's health, as it is chock full of minerals.

Depends on the crop.  The received wisdom here is manure for potatoes the first year, lime for cabbage and other brassicas the second year, Some root crops like Parsnips and celeriac don't like fresh manure, they do best without it.

Fig trees like lots of lime, one of my books suggests using a lot of builder's rubble when planting them.

Edited by Invicta