• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

1611mac

How would you define "Soul Liberty"?

In a paragraph or so, how would you define/explain the Baptist distinctive "Soul Liberty?". (For research, I'm gathering info.)   I appreciate all replies.  Thanks 

(See related post on "Priesthood of the Believer")

Edited by 1611mac

The Baptist distinctive is "individual soul liberty".

The freedom (and responsibility) of the individual to interpret God's word and follow God as he sees fit, without having that path dictated to him by external parties.

I guess when there's not a lot more to be said, we're just sort of repeating.  However, I will give my definition: Soul liberty refers to the liberty each man is given naturally by God to serve and worship Him as we believe to be right, or even NOT to worship any God. Each chooses for himself, and each bears the responsibility for the consequences of that decision. Therefore, no government, no king, no ruler, no religious leader has any right or authority for anyone to worship in a manner that they believe is not right, nor to force them to financially support any such religious systems. It's the basic foundation for the 1st Ammendment, freedom of religion.

Brother Schneck,

I believe that the phrase "individual soul liberty" is that phrase which we use doctrinally to indicate that -- Each and every individual human soul stands before the Lord our God spiritually as individuals, retaining individual responsibility before God, individual choice before God, individual accountability before God, and individual reward or judgment before God.