• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How would you define/explain "The Priesthood of the Believer?"

• Members
11 hours ago, Salyan said:

That, as believers, we have the right and privilege to come directly to God through Jesus Christ, and have no need of human priests or mediators.

^^ I think she summed it up perfectly.

I would agree with the above just worded a little differently.

Every believer is a priest before God and does not need a human mediator to pray, interpret scriptures or offer spiritual sacrifices.

• Members

Brother Schneck,

My answer is probably a "bit more thorough" than you were seeking.  However, the other forum members would likely tell you - "Pastor Scott Markle will be Pastor Scott Markle; just bear patiently with him."

Concerning the Meaning of the Priesthood of All Believers

Each and every New Testament believer has been made a royal priest:

1.  Through the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ on the cross.

2.  Unto God the Father Himself.

Revelation 1:5b-6 – “Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, and hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.” (See also Revelation 5:9-10; 20:6)

As such, this position of royal priesthood Biblically carries both privileges and responsibilities.

The PRIVILEGES in this position of royal priesthood are as follows:

1.  We are eternally sanctified through the blood of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 10:14-22 – “For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.  Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; and their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.  Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.  Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; and having an high priest over the house of God; let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.” (See also Hebrews 9:13-14)

2.  We have direct and bold access unto God the Father’s throne of grace through prayer.

Hebrews 4:16 – “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” (See also Hebrews 10:19-22)

Ephesians 2:18 – “For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.”

3.  We have a living hope for our eternal future as a sure anchor for the assurance of our souls.

Hebrews 6:17-20 – “Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: that by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.”

4.  We are built up together for the glorious presence of God through the work of the Holy Spirit.

1 Peter 2:4-5 – “To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.”

Ephesians 2:19-22 – “Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: in whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.” (See also 2 Corinthians 6:16)

The RESPONSIBILITIES in this position of royal priesthood are as follows:

1.  We must draw near unto the Lord our God in fellowship “with a true heart in full assurance of faith.”

Hebrews 10:19-22 – “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; and having an high priest over the house of God; let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.”

2.  We must “come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”

Hebrews 4:16 – “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”

3.  We must “hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering.”

Hebrews 10:23 – “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;).” (See also Hebrews 10:35-36)

4.  We must “consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works.”

Hebrews 10:24-25 – “And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.” (See also Hebrews 3:12-13)

5.  We must “offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.”

1 Peter 2:4-5 – “To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.”

A.  The “living sacrifice” of our whole selves and bodies. (See Romans 12:1-2)

B.  The “fruit of our lips giving thanks” and praise unto God. (See 1 Peter 2:9; Hebrew 13:15)

C.  The doing of good, godly woks for the glory of God. (See Hebrews 13:16)

D.  The giving of material and financial help unto the needy. (See Philippians 4:18; Hebrews 13:16)

6.  We must separate ourselves from unbelievers and must not touch “the unclean thing.”

2 Corinthians 6:17-18 – “Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.”

7.  We must “cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”

2 Corinthians 7:1 – “Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”

• Members

Last night and this morning I was pondering more upon that which I presented above.  In the pondering I began to consider that some individuals may wonder why I included certain passages in relation to the priesthood of the New Testament believer.  If any have such questions, I am open to answering; for I did not choose any of these passages at random, but according to a particular criteria in each case.

• Members
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

In the pondering I began to consider that some individuals may wonder why I included certain passages in relation to the priesthood of the New Testament believer. 

There would be at least four verses that directly teach the priesthood of New Testament believers (1 Pet. 2:4, 1 Pet. 2:9, Rev. 1:6, Rev. 5:10), but I would agree with you that there are other passages that support this teaching such as some you cited (Heb. 4:16, Eph. 2:18).

Perhaps one other supporting passage that I did not notice being mentioned in your study would be 1 Timothy 2:5.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Tyndale said:

There would be at least four verses that directly teach the priesthood of New Testament believers (1 Pet. 2:4, 1 Pet. 2:9, Rev. 1:6, Rev. 5:10), but I would agree with you that there are other passages that support this teaching such as some you cited (Heb. 4:16, Eph. 2:18).

Perhaps one other supporting passage that I did not notice being mentioned in your study would be 1 Timothy 2:5.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Brother Tyndale,

I would certainly agree that 1 Timothy 2:5 speaks concerning the High Priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ, and of our access unto God the Father through that High Priesthood.

However, I would ask if you might explain in what manner you would consider 1 Timothy 2:5 to be speaking concerning OUR priesthood?

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I would certainly agree that 1 Timothy 2:5 speaks concerning the High Priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ, and of our access unto God the Father through that High Priesthood.

However, I would ask if you might explain in what manner you would consider 1 Timothy 2:5 to be speaking concerning OUR priesthood?

Since you agree that 1 Timothy 2:5 would speak of believers having access unto God the Father through the Lord Jesus Christ in agreement with Ephesians 2:18, then believers act as their own priests who can come directly to God through Christ since they need no other human mediators or priests to access God for them.  In the context in 1 Timothy 2:8, believers are to pray themselves to God, not needing to go to some other men [earthly priests] to pray to God for them.

• Members
46 minutes ago, Tyndale said:

Since you agree that 1 Timothy 2:5 would speak of believers having access unto God the Father through the Lord Jesus Christ in agreement with Ephesians 2:18, then believers act as their own priests who can come directly to God through Christ since they need no other human mediators or priests to access God for them.  In the context in 1 Timothy 2:8, believers are to pray themselves to God, not needing to go to some other men [earthly priests] to pray to God for them.

Brother Tyndale,

I understand the process of your logic, and I do not deny that we New Testament believers have direct access unto God the Father and the throne of Grace (Heaven's Mercy Seat) through prayer. 

However, does not the practice of various Old Testament believers seem to indicate that they could pray directly unto the LORD their God, without going through a member of the Israelite priesthood?  What conclusion would that produce concerning their "priesthood" position before God?

(Note: I am not seeking to dispute your position herein, so much as to examine more deeply its implications.)