• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

...and let them be for signs...

• Members

Many of the older folks around here, including my grandparents, planted "by the signs" with a good measure of superstition thrown in. An old guy, former member of our church, once asked one of the young ladies in the church to drop the seed in his garden because she was with child at the time: She complied. He really believed a pregnant woman planting the seeds would benefit his crop somehow. My Dad, on the other hand, planted big gardens for years and never put any stock in "signs", superstitions, or "old wives tales". Dad just planted when the weather was right and as time permitted and he grew enough vegetables to feed a family six, while Mom canned and froze tons of it. They always seemed to have enough surplus to give a lot of it away to family, friends and neighbors and more than likely gave some to the older gentleman aforementioned! However, the Bible does mention "signs". What say ye?http://appalachianmagazine.com/2017/03/29/why-your-grandparents-would-plant-by-the-signs/

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

There is an Organic bakery near here who only do gluten free soughdough bread.  I was told they only use grains that have been planted and harvested at certain times of "the moon".  They are called ABO,Artisan Bakery Organic.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

We would castrate livestock by the moon and have much less bleeding. We would separate babies from their momma for weaning by the moon and have far less fuss from both of them. If you dig a post hole by the moon, you will have too much dirt left over once you put the post in, not enough to fill the hole, or just enough. Planting crops by the moon, cutting timber by the moon, ... it's nature. Not voodoo. And then I got into law enforcement ... don't even get me started on that! If the gravitational pull of the moon can lift all of the oceans on this planet, and all living things contain liquid in the form of water, blood, chloroform etc ... it makes perfect sense.

• Members

About 15 years ago, I worked with a man (60+ years old) that said since he's gotten older, he couldn't sleep during a full-moon. I thought that was nonsense, and he was just imagining it...or just trying to tell an interesting story for attention. 

I turned 50 last year, and lo and behold...I can't sleep during full-moons. I normally get around 6 hours sleep a night. During full-moons, I would guess I get around 3 hours total (?). This doesn't just last on the actual night of the full-moon...it starts a day or two before and lasts a day or two after.

• Members
On 3/30/2017 at 1:02 PM, heartstrings said:

Many of the older folks around here, including my grandparents, planted "by the signs" with a good measure of superstition thrown in. An old guy, former member of our church, once asked one of the young ladies in the church to drop the seed in his garden because she was with child at the time: She complied. He really believed a pregnant woman planting the seeds would benefit his crop somehow. My Dad, on the other hand, planted big gardens for years and never put any stock in "signs", superstitions, or "old wives tales". Dad just planted when the weather was right and as time permitted and he grew enough vegetables to feed a family six, while Mom canned and froze tons of it. They always seemed to have enough surplus to give a lot of it away to family, friends and neighbors and more than likely gave some to the older gentleman aforementioned! However, the Bible does mention "signs". What say ye?http://appalachianmagazine.com/2017/03/29/why-your-grandparents-would-plant-by-the-signs/

I knew several "old-timers" who only planted by signs and believed in it. 

Growing up, we just planted. Our gardens looked and produced great... 

• Members
8 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I knew several "old-timers" who only planted by signs and believed in it. 

Growing up, we just planted. Our gardens looked and produced great... 

We have a bakery near here called ABO (Artisan Bakery Organic)  They only bake gluten free soughdough.  They only use products swn at a certain phase of the moon, I was told by another baker in town..