• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Quotations of Past and present Saints

• Members

Do you have any quotes from Christians which have encouraged or you found extremely uplifting for your Christian walk?

I found the reference to McCheyne from reading Tozer's The Pursuit of God. While searching for 'McCheyne' I found The Biography of Robert Murray M'Cheyne (McCheyne) written by Andrew A. Bonar.

Here's is the quotation of McCheyne found in the aforementioned biography...
"It is a remarkable feeling to be quite alone in a desert place; it gives similar feelings to fasting; it brings God near."

I thought it might be rewarding to hear from others with Christian quotations which have stirred their heart or spirit. Tozer himself is full of great quotes.

• Members

"Religion, so far as it is genuine, is in essence the response of created personalities to the Creating Personality, God."
                                                                                                                                                                                            A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

• Members

"And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again."
                                                                                      Second Letter to The Corinthians, Chapter 5, by Paul the Apostle with the Holy Spirit

• Members

“Beware of manufacturing a God of your own: a God who is all mercy, but not just; a God who is all love, but not holy; a God who has a heaven for every body, but a hell for none; a God who can allow good and bad to be side by side in time, but will make no distinction between good and bad in eternity. Such a God is an idol of your own, as truly an idol as any snake or crocodile in an Egyptian temple. The hands of your own fancy and sentimentality have made him. He is not the God of the Bible, and beside the God of the Bible there is no God at all.”                                    - J. C. Ryle

Edited by Musician4God1611

• Members
3 hours ago, Orval said:

Wayne Hardy made this statement a few years ago, "Men you can live a life of discipline or a life of regret".

I like the quote can do you have information about the author?

3 hours ago, Musician4God1611 said:

“Beware of manufacturing a God of your own: a God who is all mercy, but not just; a God who is all love, but not holy; a God who has a heaven for every body, but a hell for none; a God who can allow good and bad to be side by side in time, but will make no distinction between good and bad in eternity. Such a God is an idol of your own, as truly an idol as any snake or crocodile in an Egyptian temple. The hands of your own fancy and sentimentality have made him. He is not the God of the Bible, and beside the God of the Bible there is no God at all.”                                    - J. C. Ryle

Some of these Anglican Bishops got straight to the point!

23 hours ago, fastjav390 said:

"When I preach I sin.  When I pray I sin. My very repentance needs to be repented of, and my tears need washing in the blood of Jesus Christ."-  Rev. Edward Bickesteth

"The more I think of some dogs, the less I think of some Christians". Rev. Robert "Fighting Bob" Shuler (Some Dogs I Have Known).

I never thought too much of Shuler but then I didn't think too much of Nebuchadnezzar either however, God used them both.

• Members
2 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I like the quote can do you have information about the author?

1 Timothy,

Brother Wayne Hardy is the pastor of Bible Baptist Church in Stillwater Oklahoma.  He made the comment at a Men’s Advance several years ago, and it has stuck with me.  I believe the actual quote was “Men you will either live a life of discipline or a life of regret.”

Brother Wayne Hardy is in his early 50’s and is becoming a well-known speaker like his father Dr. Dave Hardy, now retired from pastoring but still preaching.     

http://mensadvance.org/

• Members

"A house is a place, but a home is made of people. A Christian home is a home where people are living their Christian faith each day."
Clarence Sexton, The Christian Home, 3rd Ed. , 2010

By the way this is a good home study for young Christian families.

• Members

"God cannot sustain this free and blessed country, which we love and pray for, unless the church will take right ground. Politics are a part of religion in such a country as this, and Christians must do their duty to the country as a part of their duty to God. It seems sometimes as if the foundations of the nation were becoming rotten, and Christians seem to act as if they thought God did not see what they do in politics. But I tell you, he does see it, and he will bless or curse this nation, according to the course they take."
                                                                                   Lectures on Revivals of Religion, Lecture 15. Hinderances to Revivals, Charles G. Finney

Edited by 1Timothy115