• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way of Life:Depression and the Child of God

• Members
Depression and the Child of God
Following are some biblical truths that we must understand about depression and emotional melancholy. The quotes from Charles Spurgeon are from Lectures to My Students unless otherwise noted. We quote him because he described his depression so plainly and gave some excellent instruction about it.
We must understand that depression is part of this fallen life and its reason will not always be known (Psa. 119:28; Rom. 8:22-23; 9:2; Phil. 2:26; 1 Pet. 1:6).
“I note that some whom I greatly love and esteem, who are, in my judgment, among the very choicest of God’s people, nevertheless, travel most of the way to heaven by night” (Spurgeon)
“I am the subject of depression so fearful that I hope none of you ever get to such extremes of wretchedness as I go to” (Spurgeon).
“Hours after, I have been myself depressed, and I have felt an inability to shake it off” (Spurgeon).
“I could weep by the hour... Read More

View the full article

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Orval said:

Do you think that a desire to be isolated is a form of depression?  Just asking your thoughts.

loved the article.

I don't personally think so. I had a desire to be , or live isolated since a young man. It was just a way of life that appealed to me. Consequently I spent a good part of my life in Alaska. I was not really isolated there, but it was isolated in comparison to what people who live in the lower states experience.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I don't personally think so. I had a desire to be , or live isolated since a young man. It was just a way of life that appealed to me. Consequently I spent a good part of my life in Alaska. I was not really isolated there, but it was isolated in comparison to what people who live in the lower states experience.

Thanks for your response Jim.  I have found that my depression creates an environment of sorrow, bewilderment and lostness (not spiritual) while isolation is primarily peaceful. 

• Members

I love to be alone and I am most comfortable when alone. I am naturally a "loner."  Witnessing, hospital visits, etc. are out of my "comfort zone" but I find that I derive great satisfaction from these things. So while I have to "kick myself" to get going on those endeavors I am highly blessed by having done them.

Edited by 1611mac