• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Starting on a new adventure

• Members

That little church needed a leader and the Lord brought them one, Randy!  Praise the Lord.  Now only Randy and the Lord know if he was brought there to Shepherd the church or to get it ready for a Shepherd.

Thanks for sharing!  Now, what about those babies we've been praying for?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

One of the things that a couple of the men on the search committee have been ignoring is that Randy told them he believes God would have him start as interim pastor. It's a long reason, but in a nutshell they've been without a pastor for a number of years and he believes God would have him approach it in this manner as a protection for them. He has spoken to both our former pastor and the church's founding pastor and both are in agreement with him.

One of the men is concerned that Randy will decide not to become the permanent pastor if he begins as interim. The concern is not necessary, but, again, they've been without a pastor for so long it is understandable. Randy had wanted a longer period of interim and the committee only wanted a month. =D  Well, after time spent in prayer, 90 days was agreed upon. So, on Sunday they will vote (well, we, since I'm a member ;) ) for him as interim with the understanding that in 90 days it will be revisited. This will give them the opportunity to discover if they really want Randy's leadership and teaching/preaching. I believe they will, but I do see much wisdom in how Randy is approaching this.

Continued prayer is appreciated. We will be hitting the ground running - or, rather, running a bit faster than we've already begun.

We designed a church brochure that is mostly a tract, because there isn't a lot of information for the church just yet, other than service times, location, and the ladies' lunch/men's prayer breakfast. We had them printed professionally (and the members were thrilled at the quality of the job done). We ordered 200 of them. Randy has begun a visitation program, and we've been using them. Most Saturdays he takes out one of the men and I take out one of the women for an hour in the morning, and then we each take another out in the afternoon, working on training them. We are almost at the point where two of the ladies are ready to take a silent partner out themselves! Yay! Anyway, we only have 10 left! 

We've not had any visitors as a result of our going out, nor have we seen anyone saved yet. But! We have several who are interested and want us to come back.  Hubs is in the process of teaching how to disciple now.

There is no set Sunday School class because there are no children who attend. (But there was a really good visit this past Saturday - with twins!).  There have been kids once in a while, but there isn't a curriculum. And so one of my jobs right now is to create a curriculum. Thankfully, I have the curriculum our former church created. While we can't use it as is (it's for individual grades, and we won't likely need that for a while), it is a good jumping off point for me. I have the first 7 weeks mostly done.

I will begin one-on-one teaching of a young lady who is struggling to understand a good bit of Scripture. Hubs is going to have me meet with her during Sunday School - I would appreciate prayer for wisdom to know exactly how to approach this and teach her.

And I have to work on piano...I took lessons for a number of years, but have never gotten to the point where I can play well. But now I have to. We have a piano player, but she is elderly and has health issues. Prayer regarding that would be very greatly appreciated (in all honestly, I'd love to see a song leader whose wife is a pianist join the church!).

Hubs will still need to work because the church is small. He will be pulled in a number of directions, with working, pastoring, and taking care of the property here.  I'm not going to be seeing much of him, as he's going to be spending a lot of time studying. So, our lives are definitely in the process of changing. Big time.

Thanks for the prayer.

• Members

This is great news for you, and I think for that church.

Working a job on the side is hard but most of us have had to do it.

We still use an introduction tracts that is mostly evangelistic. 

Our is an a4 trifold that has a cover panel, 4 panels of witness, and the last panel is dot points of what we believe, and location and times.

This is our main "invitation tract", but I have a number of "witnessing tracts" that we use individually.

My daughter plays piano for us and she is good, but there are still a few hymns she can't play or struggles with - we still song them, just without accompaniment. Don't be afraid to do that - it can be great.

In fact we normally sing Amazing Grace accapella even though my daughter can play it.

But it is great to have the choice. Keep working at it.

Such a blessing to read this.

Thanks!

• Members

I am sure your husband knows what he is doing in seeking an interim first.  It also sounds like you are excited also. All of us hope the best for you, Randy, and the folks at the church. It is going to be exciting to hear how God uses you two to help the church grow in souls saved and taught.

May the Lord bless you all.

• Administrators

Thanks for the update LuAnne. This is certainly  blessing to hear. I am impressed by randy's wisdom in this matter of starting as interim pastor. After all, not one knows Randy's call better than he does. His decision also shows wisdom because he is very knowledgeable regarding this church. I am sure that in the next 90 days God will make His will known to both Randy and the church.

Continuing in earnest prayer for both of you in this time of seeking God's will in this matter.

• Members

We're supposed to judge, according to the scriptures!  How else can we be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine?

Congratulations!  Those folks sure took their sweet time, I knew it all along!  Now clean house and bring in the sheep!