• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Churches in Greenville SC

• Members

When I was considering attending Bob Jones University, I visited Greenville for about a week (in 1975). During that week the friends that I visited that were already enrolled at  BJU attended Tabernacle Baptist Church. At that time the pastor (and founder), was Harold Sightler. I thouroughly enjoyed the spirit of the services, the stand for the KJV by the church, and the messages that I heard.

The current pastor is Joel Logan. Here is there website: http://tbc.sc/church/

According to their website, Tabernacle Baptist Church is still KJV and they still respect the memory of Pastor Sightler. If I was in the area I would visit the church and then make a determination whether or not to stay.

For everybody's information, although I enjoyed Tabernacle Baptist Church, and I still am friends with some of the brethren who graduated from BJU that I knew at that time, I made the decision not to attend BJU. I was disappointed in several major areas. One, and most important, while I visited the classrooms (with one of my friends), the professor openly mocked the KJV, openly ridiculed those who accepted the KJV, and openly stated that the ASV of 1901 was the written word of God. The professor, in a very serious tone and manner, stated, publicly, that those who believed that the KJV was the word of God was "an ignoramus."

So, I guess I am an, "ignoramus."

Hope it goes well in your search for a good church in Greenville.

Alan

• Members
13 minutes ago, Alan said:

the professor openly mocked the KJV, openly ridiculed those who accepted the KJV, and openly stated that the ASV of 1901 was the written word of God. The professor, in a very serious tone and manner, stated, publicly, that those who believed that the KJV was the word of God was "an ignoramus."

WOW! 1975? And Pastor Sightler was still the pastor at that time?

I looked at SEVERAL links that were included in the website, but I couldn't find a Statement of Faith (or anything similar). Did I miss it somehow?

• Members

Yes. Brother Sightler was still pastor at Tabernacle in 1975. He died in 1994. Also, he was involved with evangelism for a long time while still as pastor.

Here is a link. http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Great Men of God/pastor_harold_sightler.htm

Tabernacle Baptist church, in 1975, was a large church. I still remember the enthusiatic services. I did not know Pastor Sightler personally (nor later either as I left), at the time.  

Here is the link to the Statement of Faith at Tabernacle Baptist Chruch: http://tbc.sc/church/whatwebelieve.php

• Members

Here is their Statment on the KJV:

What We Believe: Our Articles of Faith

We believe the Bible to be the only inspired, infallible, authoritative Word of God. We use only the King James Bible.
"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son" (Heb. 1:1-2). Jesus Christ vindicated the inspiration of the Old Testament scriptures by His use of them. Paul explains that partial prophecy will be done away "when that which is perfect is come" (1 Cor. 13:10); that which is perfect in prophecy is the completed canon of scripture: Genesis to Malachi and Matthew to Revelation. Although there have been many translations made of the Bible into dozens of languages over the past hundreds of years, God has shown by man's history that He has chosen those made from the Textus Receptus to break Satan's hold on man and bring the light of the gospel to a lost and dying world as no other source men may claim.

• Members

I would say Morningside Baptist - morningside.org 

Pastor Josh Crockett left our church here to become the Senior Pastor there. He is only about 38 yrs old but his reputation and teaching ability are second to none in my opinion. His father Leigh Crockett was the Pastor of our church for many years, after his battle with cancer ended and the Lord took him home, his son Josh was voted in as Pastor until he went to Morningside. Josh and all of his brothers graduated from Bob Jones University and they all stayed in the Greenville, S.C. area. When Leigh Crockett (Josh's father) past away he was so highly thought of that Governor Mike Pence sent a letter to the church family with his condolences, and Bob Jones 3 came to preside over the funeral here in central Indiana.

I would recommend just visiting the Morningside website and listening to a few of his sermons.