• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

great white throne Judgment

• Members

Revelation 20:11-15

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

(Who is judged at the Great White Throne Judgment?)

Edited by Eric Stahl

• Members
15 hours ago, The real Bob Hutton said:

I've tended to regard this as a judgement for the unsaved because it says in v 12 that they were judged "according to their works". Believers are not judged according to works unless it is with regards to rewards, as in 1st Corinthians 3.

Bob I see you are new here. Welcome!

1 Corinthians 3:11-15

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Bob even Christian's work will be judged. Ours is for reward. Notice in verse 15 that we can lose all are rewards but not our salvation.

The dead sinners will be judged at the great white throne judgment to determine their degree of damnation.

I believe there will be Christians judged at the great white throne judgement because it is the only judgment listed after the 1000 year reign of Christ and some people will get saved during the kingdom age.

Edited by Eric Stahl

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 18/03/2017 at 5:24 PM, Eric Stahl said:

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

And those whose names are found in the book of life?

• Members

Did not the Lord Jesus say, "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." Revelation 22:12

Does not the event of Jesus coming as spoken in Revelation 22:12 take place at the end of the church Age as the Apostle Paul stated? Is not the Lord Jesus coming for the church as prophesied by the Apostle Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18? And, we will meet the Lord Jesus in the air? "For the Lord himself shall shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." 1 Thessalonians 4:16 & 17

Is not this meeting in the air to meet the Lord? did not the Lord Jesus say He will bring the rewards with Him? does not this meeting in the air come before the event of the Great White Throne spoken in Revelation 20:11-15? Do not the saints have their crowns to cast at the feet of Jesus take place in Revelation 4:10? does not Revelation 4:10 take place at least 1,007 years before the events in Revelation 20:11-15?

Surely, the Tribulation saints will be judged at the Great White Throne as written in Revelation 20:11-15; but not one church age saint. The church age saints will witness the events of Revelation 20:11-15, but the Judgment Seat of Christ takes place at the meeting of the Lord Jesus in the air.

Alan

• Members
20 hours ago, Alan said:

Did not the Lord Jesus say, "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." Revelation 22:12

Does not the event of Jesus coming as spoken in Revelation 22:12 take place at the end of the church Age as the Apostle Paul stated? Is not the Lord Jesus coming for the church as prophesied by the Apostle Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18? And, we will meet the Lord Jesus in the air? "For the Lord himself shall shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." 1 Thessalonians 4:16 & 17

Is not this meeting in the air to meet the Lord? did not the Lord Jesus say He will bring the rewards with Him? does not this meeting in the air come before the event of the Great White Throne spoken in Revelation 20:11-15? Do not the saints have their crowns to cast at the feet of Jesus take place in Revelation 4:10? does not Revelation 4:10 take place at least 1,007 years before the events in Revelation 20:11-15?

Surely, the Tribulation saints will be judged at the Great White Throne as written in Revelation 20:11-15; but not one church age saint. The church age saints will witness the events of Revelation 20:11-15, but the Judgment Seat of Christ takes place at the meeting of the Lord Jesus in the air.

Alan

• Members

All of the names of the  redeemed throughout the the ages are written in the Book of Life; including the church age saints who are resurrected at the rapture. And, as I pointed out beforehand, the tribulation saints and sinners, the millennium saints and sinners, and church age saints are at the Great White Throne of Judgment; only the church age saints have been judged for their works in the meeting in the air with the Lord Jesus.

Invicta, this was brought out in the Revelation thread.  Also, in the Revelation chapter 19-22 study you would not listen to my studies on the Great White Throne of Judgment. so, I am not going to continue the debate with you. You completely ignored , nor even considered the points, in my previous thread. So, I see not reason to continue this debate.

Eric and Brethren,

Here is link to the Revelation Chapter 19-22 Study that I went in detail concerning the Great White Throne of Judgment; Lesson # 1, 3 and 8 are the lessons that included the study on the Great White Throne of Judgment.

As this thread is Eric's thread, I will only answer his questions concerning any subject brought up.

Alan

Edited by Alan
had to change a name grammer

• Members
On 3/18/2017 at 1:24 PM, Eric Stahl said:

Personally, I lean heavily towards this judgment being for the Lost only, as at this time the "dead" are resurrected and that is not a term that can really be applied to those who are born again (which occurs while one is alive).

However, I do not make light of the view that there will be those from among the dead who fall under more of an Old Testament Economy, such as the Gentiles spoken of by Paul who, despite not having the Word of God as does Israel (who he contrasts them with):

Romans 2:11-16

King James Version (KJV)

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

The idea being that while these men did not have direct revelation (the Written Word of God), they did have the revelation Paul speaks about in regards to the internal witness of God and the testimony of creation, and that in obedience to the "works of the Law" that were written in their hearts they will be judged by that obedience or lack thereof when Christ judges.

As I said, I lean towards the Great White Throne being for the lost only, and it is at this time they are publicly, so to speak, judged and sentenced to Hell.

God bless.

20 hours ago, Alan said:

All of the names of the  redeemed throughout the the ages are written in the Book of Life; including the church age saints who are resurrected at the rapture.

I take a little different view concerning the issue of the Book of Life, and see a distinction between the Book of Life (in which all men are written into) and the Lamb's Book of Life, which I believe distinguishes the redeemed.

We know that unbelievers are in the Book of life at some point because its either that or we embrace a view that those who have received Eternal Salvation through Christ can be blotted out. And we would contradict a very clear teaching of Scripture which makes that an impossibility.

God bless.

• Members
On 4/26/2017 at 7:27 PM, Invicta said:

They remain "written in the Book of Life," as they have not, nor ever shall be blotted out:

Revelation 3

King James Version (KJV)

5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

God bless.

• Members
1 hour ago, S.T.Ranger said:

They remain "written in the Book of Life," as they have not, nor ever shall be blotted out:

Revelation 3

King James Version (KJV)

5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

God bless.

If the saints had already been separated why would the book of life be opened when all those left would not be in the book of life?

• Members
On 2017/3/19 at 1:24 AM, Eric Stahl said:

God is going to show the whole universe the names of those redeemed saints, from Adam to the last person redeemed, that their names are in the the Book of Life and have a 'right,' or is, 'righteous,' and have a 'just,' or 'justified,'  cause in being in heaven.

It also does not mean that the Church Age saints are judged at that time (as I clearly pointed out before and was ignored,) it just means that all of the universe will be shown that our names are in the Book of Life. The church age saints are judged, for their works, not salvation, at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Alan

• Members
29 minutes ago, Alan said:

It also does not mean that the Church Age saints are judged at that time (as I clearly pointed out before and was ignored,) it just means that all of the universe will be shown that our names are in the Book of Life. The church age saints are judged, for their works, not salvation, at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

The unsaved will also be judged by their works, that is not often taught,

12  And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

• Members

It is a judgment of the unsaved throughout the ages; they will be judged by their works and their punishment in hell will be meted out; "The great God that formed all things both rewardeth the fool, and rewardeth transgressors." Proverbs 26:10

Yes, the unsaved will be judged by their works; but, the good works of the unsaved will not be good enough for them to enter heaven as all our works for salvation are as filthy rags in the sight of God; Isaiah 64:6 Justification is by grace; not by works; the Book of Romans, Ephesians 2:8 & 9

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

If the saints had already been separated why would the book of life be opened when all those left would not be in the book of life?

I don't really see that we have to be dogmatic that the blotting out of unbelievers is seen in the description of the Great White Throne:

Revelation 20:12-15

King James Version (KJV)

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

It seems to me, Invicta, to rather point to them not be found in the book.

One of the things I consider when it comes to the Book of Life is that all men are found in it, and it first has a reference to physical life. I take that view because, as mentioned earlier (and I think it was this thread), one must be in the Book in order to be blotted out.

Here, for example...

Psalm 69:25-28

King James Version (KJV)

25 Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents.

26 For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the grief of those whom thou hast wounded.

27 Add iniquity unto their iniquity: and let them not come into thy righteousness.

28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.

...we see a Messianic (and imprecatory) Psalm in which David is asking that the very enemies of Christ, which are in the immediate application David's enemies...be blotted out of the Book of the Living (Life). Now in the temporal I think we can see being "blotted out of the Book of the Living" as synonymous with physical death, thus we see David calling for their deaths. But in the deeper application in which this applies to Christ, we see this quoted in Acts 1:20 in reference to the son of perdition, Judas.

So it makes sense to me that when the physical aspect of being in the Book of Life ends, the deeper application ends as well, meaning...men are blotted out at the time of death, which swings us back to the passage in Revelation where we see "the dead" stand before God at the Great White Throne.

Concerning the quote from Revelation I take the position that "overcoming" is in fact a reference to salvation itself, so in other words, "Those that turn to Christ in saving faith will never be blotted out of the Book of Life."

It's a great topic of discussion, though. Be glad to see the views held by the members here.

God bless.

• Members

At the Great White Throne Judgment all the unsaved people from all time will be judged to determine their degree of damnation and all of the saved people both living and dead from the 1000 year Kingdom age will be judged to receive their rewards.