• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Woodworking

• Members

Psalm 150

1Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

It don't specify brother....The Ukelele was invented long before freaks like "Tiny Tim" came on the scene. It's just an instrument with strings and nothing more. So if Brother Uke wants to play his teenyweenie guitar, I have no problem with it at all.

Edited by heartstrings

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Brother Stafford said:

By the way,

• Oliver Hardy, known to strum the ukulele, was a thrice married, twice divorced freemason.  
  • Don Ho was a serial adulterer; having four of his ten children with his mistresses.
  • Sol Ho'opi'i, formerly one of my heroes, was an heretical Pentecostal and followed a woman faith healer, who, herself, was twice divorced.
  • Tiny Tim was a thrice married, twice divorced sodomite ("bisexual").

When people think ukulele, they think of those people.  The younger generations have more younger players to who they listen and make the above mentioned look like angels.  These are some of the reasons that I have made the decision to separate myself from the ukulele and other instruments.

None of these people were sinners due to the ukulele. Every known instrument can be associated with wicked people-Elton John, Jerry Lee Lewis and Paul McCartney play a mean piano, yet pianos remain one of the most accepted instruments in churches.

And for what it's worth, (and this is not an endorsement of his), Tiny Tim wasn't bisexual-he was extremely Aspergers-his effeminate mannerism were due to his childhood-as a child he was rather ignored by his parents-watching a lot of movies and listening to music, he somehow caught on the idea that Shirley Temple got a LOT of attention, so if acted like her, so would he. That kind of stuck in his life. He was, otherwise, generous to a fault, and there is evicdence that he may have gotten saved toward the end of his life. But time will tell, These in no way disregard his faults in marriage, though his aspergers would explain why women didn't stay with him.

As for ukulele in general, I'm not trying to defend it-it was the instrument I taught myself, having no instrumental background, shortly before becoming a pastor, because I didn't know if I was going to be part of a church that had a musician or not, or even statrting a new work. I thought guitar first, but I have fat stubby fingers and so chose the uke, since it has a smaller fret measurement and 2 less strings, thus easier to play. And over the years I have better learned to control the rythyms and such to make it simpler and less jazzy, with a proper 1/3 rather than 2/4. It took time and care because the natural tendency is 2/4.    BUt, all that being said, I respect your position on it and thanks for your words.

• Members

• Members
1 hour ago, heartstrings said:

Hmmmmm.....

Knowing brother Stafford's position, I wonder why you posted this at all, and moreso since you specifically directed it at him?

Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

• Members
1 hour ago, DaveW said:

Hmmmmm.....

Knowing brother Stafford's position, I wonder why you posted this at all, and moreso since you specifically directed it at him?

Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Looks like you've made your judgment.

• Members
2 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Looks like you've made your judgment.

I was referring to the stumblingblock part actually.....

If you feel like that is being judgemental, then take it as you will.

My reading: You know full well what his point of view is regarding such instruments, and you DIRECTED your post specifically at him, if you will, flaunting it right in his face.

I see that as deliberately putting a stumblingblock in his path.

You can disagree with his point of view - and in fact I do - but you have put a stumblingblock before him.

Again, if you feel that is me being judgemental, then go for it - but I didn't WRITE THE VERSE.....

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Wooden toys can be nice.  Preschool age toys should be sturdy, which gives them a clunky look. The vehicles shown in the picture are based on four-inch pieces of lath and the other pieces also were cut from lath, so the cost is very low.  The wheels were purchased but when the bag is empty i will start making my own.

These vehicles are sturdy and roll well but by the time I had worked out the design, the grandkids were in school.   Woops.  That is just as well because power tools make my ears ring even with the muffs on and sanding affects my lungs.  So, the next challenge is to make toys  with balsa and basswood.  These will only require using a dremel and a sharp knife. The grandkids probably will be in college before i get the design worked out.

C5323D56-60C1-4159-AE28-14155B6C51DF.jpeg