• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Woodworking

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

What if when God told Noah to coat the ark with pitch, Noah replied, "B♯, right Lord?"  "No, Noah," replied the Lord, "I said to make sure that your tools be sharp."

Never mind, now I'm just being a retard.

You B#? I C.

• Members

Just finished edge-sanding, belt sanding and edge routing this today. CNC cut from a big'ol board of solid Western Red Cedar my neighbor gave to me..

0308171625.jpg

0316171623.jpg

I'll do some block-sanding on the top and edges, clean up and sand at the neck joint, then I'll probably spray several coats of clear lacquer.

0316171622a.jpg

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Very nice work Heartstrings.  I commend you on sticking with your love of wood.  I tinker here and there but nothing as wonderful as you have shown here.  I was under the impression that CNC machines were typically mills, lathes etc.  never thought of them as being saws as well.  or is your CNC a giant router perhaps.  Mind showing a picture?  does it operate off of a computer program as I am assuming? 

• Moderators

Brother Stafford, ever make ukuleles? I would love to try but I have no shop, nor money to build one at this point-my goats eat everything, all my green. I have some slabs of purple heart wood I wanted to use but of course, no tools to cut that hard stuff.

• Members
6 hours ago, Orval said:

Very nice work Heartstrings.  I commend you on sticking with your love of wood.  I tinker here and there but nothing as wonderful as you have shown here.  I was under the impression that CNC machines were typically mills, lathes etc.  never thought of them as being saws as well.  or is your CNC a giant router perhaps.  Mind showing a picture?  does it operate off of a computer program as I am assuming? 

Thank you so much. I'm really not that crazy about woodworking anymore, but I do it as the need arises. My son wanted me to make a Telecaster, so I'm building this one to practice on and I'll use it for a sample in my showroom. There are many forms of CNC machines like the ones you mentioned as well as lasers, waterjets, routers, plasma cutters, and pretty much any kind of robotic manufacturing machine controlled by a computer. The one I used here is a router. Most often I use it to cut all kinds of plastics, composites and sometimes metals. Mine just runs off an old WinXP computer.

For some reason, this video was corrupted, but I think you can see it...

I have a home-made CNC machine I built last year. I will post photos later in another thread.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I enjoy working with wood as well.  Have both power tools and old school hand tools.  I'd like to become more proficient with both and switch completely to the latter as my health and strength returns.  Bought my first two box planes, one I'll use in building a pair of bookcases which will be assembled without any screws save for some finishing nails on the back to secure the wainscoting back board.  

I'd like to give each of my children and my wife a hope (blanket) chest made in the old ways well.  I've been switching from screws to cut nails on some projects, they look so cool but I reckon none would look even better!

• Moderators
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Brother Stafford said:

Yes, I made ukuleles, but, as I said above, I no longer associate with that sort of music.

You mean this kind of music?

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Brother Stafford said:

Yes, I made ukuleles, but, as I said above, I no longer associate with that sort of music.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Yes.  I mean that kind of music.

So you don't figure ukulele is a proper instrument for singing hymns with? And no, I'm not offended if you do, just curious, or is it my playing? Because I am always interested in honest, constructive criticism. Otherwise we never grow.