• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Woodworking

• Members

I started woodworking in 9th or 10th grade then ramped it up quite a bit after I was married and began to acquire more tools.. I made this rocking horse for our daughter, who was two at the time, and used my Dad's old meatcutting bandsaw to cut it out. There was a ton of rasping and sanding with hand tools to do afterwards but it was finally finished. I built several and sold them after that. Fast-forward about 25 years and I've made one for each of the three grandchildren. One more grandchild is on the way and, Lord willing, he will get one too. I now use my CNC to cut them out, which saves a lot of time. This is the first horse, sitting on the CNC, after I refinished it. It now sits in our living room for the grands to ride when they come over.

rocking horse 1 (2).jpg

• Members
1 minute ago, Brother Stafford said:

CNC? I thought this was about woodworking.

Why keep riding the horse, when you can drive the new Chevy? :)

I still have to edge-sand, hand-route the edges, belt-sand the flats, stain, lacquer, screw the parts together and all that. I know that I could still do the rest the old way, but why?

• Members

The cavities for the yarn "tail" and mane also have to be done the old way. I drill the tail cavity with a spade bit, cut the yarn to length, wrap it tightly at one end, shoot some hot glue intot he cavity and jam the yarn in with a screwdriver. You can pull on it till your eyes pop out and can't get it to pull out....but a KID can do it LOL. 

The mane cavity can be done with a rabbeting bit and a router. The handgrip, in the neck, was drilled with a drillpress. See....it's still woodworking. :)

rockinghorses.JPG

• Members

The one I built for my youngest grandson this Christmas

alexander horse.jpg

3 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

That's great!  But don't go for a drive in your truck and say your going horseback riding.  It confuses us equestrians. ;)

(check and mate)

Yeah whatever :)