• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Early church eternal security

• Members
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, Roselove said:

i just can't find anything that is pro-eternal security, from anywhere in the earliest church age. 

While I have not searched for (extra) writings from the early centuries on E.S. The only early writing you need, is what is preserved in our bible today (KJV). Which certainly is "pro-E.S.".

I haven't read the 50+ current answers here but i'll myself say to my knowledge that most, if not all, the early writings of Christians after 100 AD were not preserved as they were not scripture. Plus by the time Catholicsim came in, they soon enough burned their writings along with the Christians. The bible supports eternal security and that is all we need.

But there are certainly faithful teachers of God's word today that teach and write on it. This is no new doctrine. Christians have always believe in E.S.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

E-sword is free forever, fully functioning, not restricted, and free updates.

They ask for donations but I don't think there is even a mechanism to link donations to users.

Some of the downloadable material you have to pay for if you want it, but that is because of copyright matters beyond e-sword control, and they are commentaries etc. which are optional.

If you really want that Bible version (why would you want anything other than KJV anyway) or thst particular commentary then pay for it, but the KJV bible is default snd totally free.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

https://www.logosapostolic.org/bible_study/RP450NeverLeaveForsakeYou.htm 

I accidentally came across, this website, what do you all think? 

They also use the Textus Recptus for their translations, they said on their site that they except that as the most accurate translation. 

Edited by Roselove

• Members
4 minutes ago, Roselove said:

Well, looks like they're trying to justify a belief.

I briefly looked over the site. In the examples that I saw, those men weren't forsaken by God...THEY were the ones who forsake God and got their just reward for doing so.

Just the one example of Joshua...that site completely turns scripture upside down to say that God forsook Joshua...but what does the verse that they use actually say?

(Taken from their website)

JOSHUA 1:5-9 (God speaking to Joshua)
5 There shall not any man be able to stand before you all the days of your life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with you: I will not fail you, nor forsake you.
6 Be strong and of a good courage: for to this people you shall divide for an inheritance the land, which I swore to their fathers to give them.
7 Only you be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded you: do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.

God's condition to Joshua wasn't whether he would forsake Joshua (based on Joshua's obedience), it was very plainly stated that he would prosper Joshua wherever he went if he was obedient.

Prosper (or not prosper) is much different than forsaking him.

That one example is enough to make me not trust them.

• Members
18 hours ago, Roselove said:

They also use the Textus Recptus for their translations, they said on their site that they except that as the most accurate translation. 

Okay Roselove, I'll try this again, and we'll see if it stays. This response won't mirror my first response though.

If anyone wonders why I said that, it's because I responded to this yesterday. Roselove saw my response; however, my response somehow disappeared.

First thing that I noticed is that the website is affiliated with an Apostolic Church of God. Here are their beliefs summarized.

1. The belief of one God whose name is Jesus. (In other words, they don't believe in the Trinity as being three distinct persons; this is commonly known as "Jesus-only")
  2. The utter depravity of human nature, the necessity for repentance and regeneration and the eternal doom of the finally impenitent.
  3. The virgin birth, sinless life, atoning death, triumphant resurrection, ascension, and abiding intercession of our Lord Jesus Christ; His second coming, and millennial reign upon earth.
  4. Justification and Sanctification of the believer through the finished work of Christ.
  5. The Baptism of the Holy Ghost for believers, which the Bible refers to as a necessity to get to Heaven, with evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The nine gifts of the Holy Ghost for the edification, exhortation and comfort of the Church, which is the body of Christ.
  7. Be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ and being immersed in water. (In other words, they disobey Jesus' direct command to be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit)
  8. The Divine inspiration and authority of the Holy Scriptures.
  9. Church government by apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers, elders and deacons.
  10. The possibility of falling from grace.
  11. The obligatory nature of tithes and offerings.

So, as they are affiliated with the Apostolic Church of God, they are naturally going to push their belief that a believer can lose their salvation.

As a side note, the common terminology used (by these types of groups) for losing one's salvation is "falling from grace"; however, that isn't what "falling from grace" means. To fall from grace means that one has moved away from proclaiming the biblical truth of salvation by grace alone, and they add works in addition to (or in place of) grace. In other words, they are proclaiming a different method for receiving salvation. It doesn't mean that by "falling from grace", a person loses their salvation. No, someone falls from grace when they replace grace alone FOR salvation. They fall from grace alone and add works to it. It's to proclaim another gospel.

Okay...so what's wrong with the webpage?

In their desire to prove that one can lose their salvation, they are looking for anything that "proves" a person can be "forsaken by God" contingent upon their disobedience (sin). In that desire (and in this case), they have resulted to using examples of people who were punished for disobedience in the Old Testament.

Problem 1: They misuse Hebrews 13:5

They use it (and their Greek word-wrangling) to cast doubt on the word of God.  The whole context of what is being said in Hebrews 13:5 has nothing to do with the Apostolic Church of God's idea of being forsaken by God; which is, to be punished or lose one's salvation. NO! It's a beautiful promise meant to bring comfort to believers so that they will be content with what they have rather than desiring more "things". It's a beautiful promise for believers to rely on God! They also left off the next verse, which is directly tied to verse 5. Let's look at it...

Hebrews 13:5-6
5   Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
6   So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Do you see what those verses are actually saying now? Do you see the importance of that one little word "for"? That word relates what the object is of "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee". What is the object? It's to not be covetous of more things...to be content with the things you do have. Do you see what a difference that one little word "So" makes when it is rightfully included with verse 5? Also, verse 6 will make even more sense as to why it was added when we look at "Problem 2" next...so hang in there.

So, they take the verse out of context...a very apparent context...and mishandle it to promote false doctrine.

Problem 2: Their misuse of God's promise to not fail thee, nor forsake thee in the Old Testament

What was the context of God saying that he "would no fail thee, nor forsake thee"? What was he talking about? Well, once again, the context is very clear and apparent...and once again, the Apostolic Church of God twists it to fit their theology. Once again, they left verses out. Let's look at it...in context...and with the appropriate verses included.

Deuteronomy 31:1-8
1   And Moses went and spake these words unto all Israel.
2   And he said unto them, I am an hundred and twenty years old this day; I can no more go out and come in: also the LORD hath said unto me, Thou shalt not go over this Jordan.
3   The LORD thy God, he will go over before thee, and he will destroy these nations from before thee, and thou shalt possess them: and Joshua, he shall go over before thee, as the LORD hath said.
4   And the LORD shall do unto them as he did to Sihon and to Og, kings of the Amorites, and unto the land of them, whom he destroyed.
5   And the LORD shall give them up before your face, that ye may do unto them according unto all the commandments which I have commanded you.
6   Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
7   And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the LORD hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it.
8   And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

Now...do you see the actual context of why God said that he wouldn't fail them, nor forsake them? The context is this: God would be the one fighting for them! God would be the one who would destroy the other nations! God would be the one who gave them victory! The context is this: they need not worry nor fear when they entered the land and had to fight the other nations in order to possess the land; God would be the one fighting for them, and he would not forsake them in possessing the land.

That's it. It was a beautiful promise to the Jews that God wouldn't forsake them while they were overcoming the other nations in the land. It was a beautiful promise for them not to fear the other nations, because God would be fighting for them (remember Hebrews 13:6 now?).

It had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with being forsaken by God in the way the Apostolic Church of God tried to spin it...nothing!

Problem 3: Their misuse of examples of people who were "forsaken by God"

I won't spend long on this.

Were those people "forsaken by God"? I'll admit that I didn't read every example...I didn't have to.

Those people weren't forsaken by God...THEY are the ones who forsook God.

Sin has consequences, and direct disobedience always has consequences. To say that because a person sinned against God, it caused God to "forsake" them is wrong.

Their disobedience, their sin, their forsaking of God...brought God's punishment on them. It was true then; it's true now. If a believer sins without confession and repentance, God will punish him/her. Scripture is very clear that God deals with us as sons...

Hebrews 12:4-13
4   Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
5   And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6   For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7   If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8   But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
9   Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
10   For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11   Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
12   Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13   And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.

Paul furthers this line of thought...

1 Corinthians 11:30-34
30   For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31   For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32   But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
33   Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
34   And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

The context of this is dealing with the Lord's Supper and how some were misusing it. Even so, look at the results for those who sinned in this...one of the most solemn and holy events associated with being a Christian...the Lord's Supper. Because of their sin in misusing the Lord's Supper...

• Many are weak and sickly
  • Many sleep (which I believe means they had died)

This is directly tied to chastening in verse 32. If we sin, we should judge ourselves; that is, we should confess our sin, ask forgiveness, and repent. If we don't judge ourselves, we will be judged by the Lord; which means, we will be chastened by him. Those who had sinned were still saved, but they had been chastened. In fact, verse 32 makes it very clear that when we are judged for sin (here on earth) we are...

• chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

I don't see how it could be any clearer. God chastens his children, and we aren't condemned with the world.

So...after all of this, I hope that it's evident that the Apostolic Church of God isn't a source that you should rely on.

Edited to add: Okay...that's weird. When I submitted this reply...my original reply showed up again!

• Members
39 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Okay Roselove, I'll try this again, and we'll see if it stays. This response won't mirror my first response though.

If anyone wonders why I said that, it's because I responded to this yesterday. Roselove saw my response; however, my response somehow disappeared.

First thing that I noticed is that the website is affiliated with an Apostolic Church of God. Here are their beliefs summarized.

1. The belief of one God whose name is Jesus. (In other words, they don't believe in the Trinity as being three distinct persons; this is commonly known as "Jesus-only")
  2. The utter depravity of human nature, the necessity for repentance and regeneration and the eternal doom of the finally impenitent.
  3. The virgin birth, sinless life, atoning death, triumphant resurrection, ascension, and abiding intercession of our Lord Jesus Christ; His second coming, and millennial reign upon earth.
  4. Justification and Sanctification of the believer through the finished work of Christ.
  5. The Baptism of the Holy Ghost for believers, which the Bible refers to as a necessity to get to Heaven, with evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The nine gifts of the Holy Ghost for the edification, exhortation and comfort of the Church, which is the body of Christ.
  7. Be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ and being immersed in water. (In other words, they disobey Jesus' direct command to be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit)
  8. The Divine inspiration and authority of the Holy Scriptures.
  9. Church government by apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers, elders and deacons.
  10. The possibility of falling from grace.
  11. The obligatory nature of tithes and offerings.

So, as they are affiliated with the Apostolic Church of God, they are naturally going to push their belief that a believer can lose their salvation.

As a side note, the common terminology used (by these types of groups) for losing one's salvation is "falling from grace"; however, that isn't what "falling from grace" means. To fall from grace means that one has moved away from proclaiming the biblical truth of salvation by grace alone, and they add works in addition to (or in place of) grace. In other words, they are proclaiming a different method for receiving salvation. It doesn't mean that by "falling from grace", a person loses their salvation. No, someone falls from grace when they replace grace alone FOR salvation. They fall from grace alone and add works to it. It's to proclaim another gospel.

Okay...so what's wrong with the webpage?

In their desire to prove that one can lose their salvation, they are looking for anything that "proves" a person can be "forsaken by God" contingent upon their disobedience (sin). In that desire (and in this case), they have resulted to using examples of people who were punished for disobedience in the Old Testament.

Problem 1: They misuse Hebrews 13:5

They use it (and their Greek word-wrangling) to cast doubt on the word of God.  The whole context of what is being said in Hebrews 13:5 has nothing to do with the Apostolic Church of God's idea of being forsaken by God; which is, to be punished or lose one's salvation. NO! It's a beautiful promise meant to bring comfort to believers so that they will be content with what they have rather than desiring more "things". It's a beautiful promise for believers to rely on God! They also left off the next verse, which is directly tied to verse 5. Let's look at it...

Hebrews 13:5-6
5   Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
6   So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Do you see what those verses are actually saying now? Do you see the importance of that one little word "for"? That word relates what the object is of "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee". What is the object? It's to not be covetous of more things...to be content with the things you do have. Do you see what a difference that one little word "So" makes when it is rightfully included with verse 5? Also, verse 6 will make even more sense as to why it was added when we look at "Problem 2" next...so hang in there.

So, they take the verse out of context...a very apparent context...and mishandle it to promote false doctrine.

Problem 2: Their misuse of God's promise to not fail thee, nor forsake thee in the Old Testament

What was the context of God saying that he "would no fail thee, nor forsake thee"? What was he talking about? Well, once again, the context is very clear and apparent...and once again, the Apostolic Church of God twists it to fit their theology. Once again, they left verses out. Let's look at it...in context...and with the appropriate verses included.

Deuteronomy 31:1-8
1   And Moses went and spake these words unto all Israel.
2   And he said unto them, I am an hundred and twenty years old this day; I can no more go out and come in: also the LORD hath said unto me, Thou shalt not go over this Jordan.
3   The LORD thy God, he will go over before thee, and he will destroy these nations from before thee, and thou shalt possess them: and Joshua, he shall go over before thee, as the LORD hath said.
4   And the LORD shall do unto them as he did to Sihon and to Og, kings of the Amorites, and unto the land of them, whom he destroyed.
5   And the LORD shall give them up before your face, that ye may do unto them according unto all the commandments which I have commanded you.
6   Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
7   And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the LORD hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it.
8   And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

Now...do you see the actual context of why God said that he wouldn't fail them, nor forsake them? The context is this: God would be the one fighting for them! God would be the one who would destroy the other nations! God would be the one who gave them victory! The context is this: they need not worry nor fear when they entered the land and had to fight the other nations in order to possess the land; God would be the one fighting for them, and he would not forsake them in possessing the land.

That's it. It was a beautiful promise to the Jews that God wouldn't forsake them while they were overcoming the other nations in the land. It was a beautiful promise for them not to fear the other nations, because God would be fighting for them (remember Hebrews 13:6 now?).

It had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with being forsaken by God in the way the Apostolic Church of God tried to spin it...nothing!

Problem 3: Their misuse of examples of people who were "forsaken by God"

I won't spend long on this.

Were those people "forsaken by God"? I'll admit that I didn't read every example...I didn't have to.

Those people weren't forsaken by God...THEY are the ones who forsook God.

Sin has consequences, and direct disobedience always has consequences. To say that because a person sinned against God, it caused God to "forsake" them is wrong.

Their disobedience, their sin, their forsaking of God...brought God's punishment on them. It was true then; it's true now. If a believer sins without confession and repentance, God will punish him/her. Scripture is very clear that God deals with us as sons...

Hebrews 12:4-13
4   Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
5   And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6   For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7   If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8   But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
9   Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
10   For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11   Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
12   Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13   And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.

Paul furthers this line of thought...

1 Corinthians 11:30-34
30   For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31   For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32   But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
33   Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
34   And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

The context of this is dealing with the Lord's Supper and how some were misusing it. Even so, look at the results for those who sinned in this...one of the most solemn and holy events associated with being a Christian...the Lord's Supper. Because of their sin in misusing the Lord's Supper...

• Many are weak and sickly
  • Many sleep (which I believe means they had died)

This is directly tied to chastening in verse 32. If we sin, we should judge ourselves; that is, we should confess our sin, ask forgiveness, and repent. If we don't judge ourselves, we will be judged by the Lord; which means, we will be chastened by him. Those who had sinned were still saved, but they had been chastened. In fact, verse 32 makes it very clear that when we are judged for sin (here on earth) we are...

• chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

I don't see how it could be any clearer. God chastens his children, and we aren't condemned with the world.

So...after all of this, I hope that it's evident that the Apostolic Church of God isn't a source that you should rely on.

Edited to add: Okay...that's weird. When I submitted this reply...my original reply showed up again!

This makes definitely makes sense, to me. 

Thank you for taking time to comment again, I appreciate it! 

• Members
On 3/15/2017 at 11:16 AM, Orval said:

Hello Roselove,

Allow me to try to help.  First of all the Catholic Church did not come into existence until the time of Constantine up until that time the churches and believers were under persecution for about 250 years.  So Catholicism was not a consideration to the first century churches.  Secondly Because there was no uniformity of scriptures in the first century there was no comparative studies done that we are aware of.  The New Testament clearly states that there was problems with Gnosticism and the doctrine of duality also sponsored by Gnosticism.  Eternal life was taken at face value, remember Jesus resurrected what better testimony of eternal life? Through the intervening years many doctrines came under fire in various sections of Christendom but unless they were associated with libraries or universities of education there were very few written records.  Eternal security is very clear when you read the bible it is called eternal life and while one might believe such passages as Hebrews 6:1-6 teach the loss of salvation a hermeneutical deconstruction of the passage will show just the opposite. 

Believers from an Armenian background often push the ability to walk away from salvation but let me ask you a simples question.  You have a building with 10,000 windows in it and each time you break a window you have committed a sin.  How many windows would you have to break to lose your salvation?  one, 50, 1000 you tell me.  You see Jesus died for all sin not just some sin.

Hope this helps.  

Hello! 
Is there a link somewhere I can find support about Constantine and RCC?
How reliable are scholars who wrote history?

I am not trying to defend the RCC. I just want to be able to defend this one properly. 
Thank you! 

• Members
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

Hello! 
Is there a link somewhere I can find support about Constantine and RCC?
How reliable are scholars who wrote history?

I am not trying to defend the RCC. I just want to be able to defend this one properly. 
Thank you! 

Sorry, I have not gotten back to you sooner but I have been very busy.  I would suggest you read the first 5 or 6 chapters of Thomas Armitage's History of the Baptists for a clear understanding and wonderful word picture of the process.  Research to understand how the Monarchial Bishops slowly rose to respect and power and how that meshed with the persecution by the Roman Empire of the early churches.  I am really cramped for time so I just cannot do the research again right now.  but would be happy to help later in the year when not strapped for time.

Hope this helps. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For some reason, I'm kind of struggling with this, again. The same questions are being raised again, in my mind. I've overcome a lot of doctrinal issues, but this one seems to always remain.

The verses that appear to say you can forfeit salvation, the full context around the verses that people use to say you can't, the Greek, the lack of early writings that acknowledge this doctrine as true, etc. 

I know that this came up last time, but I do indeed believe that all of the Bible, is true. I really, really do. My issue I'm struggling with is, when you put all of the things together, that i listed above, I just find it extremely difficult, to believe that eternal security, could be true. 

Like, I really am thinking that there's too many verses that seem to contradict this. And the verses used to justify this view, really seem to not mean what they think it does, when you put everything in context. 

I certainly don't want to cause frustration, but it's just something that I can't get out of my mind. It bothers me. I was given a lot of info last time, but the info i was given didn't totally convince me that, eternal security, was true. People kept saying the Bible teaches it, so i just need to believe that, but the problem i have is that, I don't really see it, teaching that, as I read it. I believe the truth of the Bible, I want to make that clear. I just.. have a hard time piecing all of the things I've learned together, and coming up with this understanding. 

I do not want to believe that someone, can forfeit salvation, that's why I'm on here asking for more guidance. I really am not trying to stir the pot or create conflict. I honestly appreciate everyone on here, I never want to upset any of you.

• Members

I'm not sure which verses imply that one can forfeit their salvation.

Roselove, I may be wrong...and if so, please forgive me. However, I believe that you are looking for either a feeling or some type of sign to confirm your salvation. If that's the case, then these types of things; such as, forfeiting salvation, losing salvation, etc. will continue to haunt and plague you. That's why I stress that believing God's word, trusting it, putting your faith in it, and resting on that is the only thing that will help you in the end. I can't stress it enough.

If you're looking for biblical proof that one can't lose their salvation...or forfeit their salvation, then here it is. Now, compare these with whatever the verses are that seem to imply one can lose their salvation (or forfeit it). For one, I believe the Lord settles the matter, nails it down, and closes the lid on it here...

John 6:29-58

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.

32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.

35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

41 The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.

42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?

43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

48 I am that bread of life.

49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.

50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.