• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Best Perennial Veggies and Fruits

• Members

I'm going to be planting as many edible perennials as I can this year.  Does anyone have recommendations for good, high yield perennials?

This is what I am planning so far:

Asparagus

Jerusalem Artichoke (sunchoke)

Raspberries

Blueberries

Blackberries

By the way, I'm in Southeast Michigan (Zone 6a)

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members

Hello brother, If you are planting asparagus seeds you want to plant your trays this month.  If you are going to use sprouts plant in Early May.  Typically you would not harvest your bed for 3 years.  You can also plant lettuce with your asparagus and harvest the lettuce in year one.  I am not sure about the berries other than watching you tube.  lol

• Members

For Aspargus.  If you plant crowns you ususally have to wait 3 years, but you can buy three year old crowns that you can harvest lightly after one year.  There is also an F1 hybrid seed, I forget its name, that you can (they say) cut one shoot in the first year, lightly in the second and normally in the third.  Asparugus is usually grouwn in mounds as it doesn't like to be waterloged, but the trouble is, our garden is on heavy clay, that gets waterlogged when it rains a lot and rock hard when it dries out.  I made a raised bed a couple of years ago and it cropped well last year so I have high hopes for this year.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

For Aspargus.  If you plant crowns you ususally have to wait 3 years, but you can buy three year old crowns that you can harvest lightly after one year.  There is also an F1 hybrid seed, I forget its name, that you can (they say) cut one shoot in the first year, lightly in the second and normally in the third.  Asparugus is usually grouwn in mounds as it doesn't like to be waterloged, but the trouble is, our garden is on heavy clay, that gets waterlogged when it rains a lot and rock hard when it dries out.  I made a raised bed a couple of years ago and it cropped well last year so I have high hopes for this year.

I could not remember the name "crowns".  lol  thanks for jogging my memory.

• Members

Here  in England, Asparagus has the shortest havesting time for any vegetable from sometime in April till the middle of June, after that you have to let the plants grow to build up the energy in the crown for the following year.  Peru does not seem tho have that problem as out of seaso, our stores have Aspargus from ther all the year.  Had some from Mexico recently.  

Edited by Invicta
spelling