• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Potatochip

Jehovah's Witness

17 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Potatochip,

They do put that stuff on their website. It is here

I dunno thats what an ex Jehovah's witness was saying on the internet.  They don't advertise it on their outdoor racks that i can see. 

Edited by Potatochip

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

No, unless I am not understanding what you are saying, that s their official website and all their information and publications are listed on it.

Correct. All their information and publications are on their website JW.org. Many Kingdom Halls have added the website address to their signs in front of the Kingdom Halls. There is also a JW library app you can down on apple and google play with all their publications.

Edited by Disciple.Luke

Their organizational structure is very much compartmentalized. For instance I will list positions people hold within the organization.

1. The average JW: who will never miss a service, even feels guilty when sick and can't attend. There is a large majority of women in this classification.

2. The Publisher: This is the person than knocks on your door with the aim of putting literature in your hand and trying to get you to agree to a "bible study."

3. The Pioneer: This is also the person that knocks on your door, usually accompanied by a publisher and/or average JW in training. This person has applied to the elders and been approved to become a Pioneer. This is viewed as a full time ministry and all expense is born by the pioneer, they are not reimbursed nor paid in any way.

4. The Ministerial Servant: This classification is held only by men, they are the ones that pass out the microphones at meetings, do odd jobs like cleaning, running errands, visiting the sick, or anything of a menial nature that is below the dignity of an elder.

5. The Elders: These are always men who have shown a degree of leadership qualities over long periods of time. They have been recommended for the position of Elder by the other Elders in the congregation and approved for the office by both the Elders and the Circuit Overseer. These men are the ones that conduct the services by making sure that the guidelines of the governing body are followed to the letter. Usually one of them is assigned to record things such as, the performance of various parts of the services. They actually keep a written record of how the other people in the congregation are performing. This is critical for advancement in the local congregations.

This is a critical control tactic. They record things such as: How the speaker holds his bible, how any speaker pronounces words, whether or not they pause in their reading at appropriate places, proper use of punctuation, proper posture. This is not confined strictly to platform speakers, but also to audience question and answer and bible reading. People are vocally praised at the end of their presentation for their proper use of these things.

A detailed record is kept, listing exact numbers of home visits, numbers of materials passed out,  baptisms, bible studies held, numbers of attendees at both yearly assemblies and conventions, and the progress of every JW. This information is made public as an incentive for every JW to excel in his or her ministry.

6. The Circuit Overseer: This man has an assigned "territory". He makes his circuit on a regular schedule, visiting every congregation in his territory at least once per year. His job is to make sure things are being done correctly, supervising the Elders, making sure that the rules of the governing body are being followed, writing evaluation reports to the home office. He also helps out with any problems that the Kingdom Hall may encounter.

He is held in high esteem by all, almost to the point of being seen as an Apostle, although not called one. They are not paid a wage, but are required to demonstrate that they can be self supporting. They are afforded a very small stipend to help with travel expense.

7. The Governing Body: These are the men headquartered at what they call "Bethel" in New York. They are the ones that dictate all material used by all JW's. Design lesson and "talk" material, produce lesson movies and videos and generally run the whole show.

At Bethel there are also servants that do the menial tasks like the printing material, videos, conducting tours of the facility.

I could go on and on, but it would take quite a bit of writing time, which I don't have this morning. Suffice to say that they are a highly organized cult that is possibly the most influential cult in the world at this time.

On 3/24/2017 at 0:09 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

Their organizational structure is very much compartmentalized. For instance I will list positions people hold within the organization.

1. The average JW: who will never miss a service, even feels guilty when sick and can't attend. There is a large majority of women in this classification.

2. The Publisher: This is the person than knocks on your door with the aim of putting literature in your hand and trying to get you to agree to a "bible study."

3. The Pioneer: This is also the person that knocks on your door, usually accompanied by a publisher and/or average JW in training. This person has applied to the elders and been approved to become a Pioneer. This is viewed as a full time ministry and all expense is born by the pioneer, they are not reimbursed nor paid in any way.

4. The Ministerial Servant: This classification is held only by men, they are the ones that pass out the microphones at meetings, do odd jobs like cleaning, running errands, visiting the sick, or anything of a menial nature that is below the dignity of an elder.

5. The Elders: These are always men who have shown a degree of leadership qualities over long periods of time. They have been recommended for the position of Elder by the other Elders in the congregation and approved for the office by both the Elders and the Circuit Overseer. These men are the ones that conduct the services by making sure that the guidelines of the governing body are followed to the letter. Usually one of them is assigned to record things such as, the performance of various parts of the services. They actually keep a written record of how the other people in the congregation are performing. This is critical for advancement in the local congregations.

This is a critical control tactic. They record things such as: How the speaker holds his bible, how any speaker pronounces words, whether or not they pause in their reading at appropriate places, proper use of punctuation, proper posture. This is not confined strictly to platform speakers, but also to audience question and answer and bible reading. People are vocally praised at the end of their presentation for their proper use of these things.

A detailed record is kept, listing exact numbers of home visits, numbers of materials passed out,  baptisms, bible studies held, numbers of attendees at both yearly assemblies and conventions, and the progress of every JW. This information is made public as an incentive for every JW to excel in his or her ministry.

6. The Circuit Overseer: This man has an assigned "territory". He makes his circuit on a regular schedule, visiting every congregation in his territory at least once per year. His job is to make sure things are being done correctly, supervising the Elders, making sure that the rules of the governing body are being followed, writing evaluation reports to the home office. He also helps out with any problems that the Kingdom Hall may encounter.

He is held in high esteem by all, almost to the point of being seen as an Apostle, although not called one. They are not paid a wage, but are required to demonstrate that they can be self supporting. They are afforded a very small stipend to help with travel expense.

7. The Governing Body: These are the men headquartered at what they call "Bethel" in New York. They are the ones that dictate all material used by all JW's. Design lesson and "talk" material, produce lesson movies and videos and generally run the whole show.

At Bethel there are also servants that do the menial tasks like the printing material, videos, conducting tours of the facility.

I could go on and on, but it would take quite a bit of writing time, which I don't have this morning. Suffice to say that they are a highly organized cult that is possibly the most influential cult in the world at this time.

Very accurate!

The LDS Church is compartmentalized in a very similar way, but I believe they are even tighter in structure from the top down.

On 3/13/2017 at 5:19 PM, Ukulelemike said:

despite their hatred toward the Catholics, they do business almost exactly as the Catholics do: the message is prepared and sent to ALL halls, for use that same Sunday, as well as the reading.

Jesuits helped to write their bible.  Poor saps, all that work to get into heaven with only 144,000 openings...  That's what they taught in the late 1980s, not sure what manure they are pushing now.

Basically:

144000 = super special place in heaven grade 1.

Regular faithful JW = spot in regular grade heaven.

And here's the interesting bit:

Sincere religious folk who are not JW's = grade three heaven, which I think is actually "new earth".

The rest just stop being anything or anywhere - no hell, no other judgrment.

When I was told that I said "If you are right, I still get there because I have a sincere faith; but if am right, you spend eternity in Hell. Why would I change for that?"

That is a good path to take - tell them that you are a faithful Christian and ask them what happens to people like you.

7 hours ago, DaveW said:

Basically:

Sincere religious folk who are not JW's = grade three heaven, which I think is actually "new earth".

When I was told that I said "If you are right, I still get there because I have a sincere faith; but if am right, you spend eternity in Hell. Why would I change for that?"

That is a good path to take - tell them that you are a faithful Christian and ask them what happens to people like you.

I didn't know they had 3 grades of heaven.  That second one is a new one on me.  The gospel saves in my opinion.  I guess you can contend the facts.  I like it when preacher gets on TV say in a secular interview and slips bible verses about salvation into the conversation. Debating is interesting but tiring to me in many ways its goes round and round with this misnomer and that one until the words of the gospel are added. 

I was under the impression that ONLY the 144,000 go to Heaven, or even ever see the face of God. All other good JW's will be resurrected into the new (renovated) earth and will dwell there forever.  They don't believe in an actual NEW heaven and NEW earth, just that earth will be made back like Eden. Those who die lost will be resurrected for their judgment, then cast into the lake of fire to be quickly burned up and blink from existence.  This is what I've gotten from local JW's. The doctrine seems to change often. I guess, like the Mormons, they have a 'progressive revelation'.

33 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

I was under the impression that ONLY the 144,000 go to Heaven, or even ever see the face of God. All other good JW's will be resurrected into the new (renovated) earth and will dwell there forever.  They don't believe in an actual NEW heaven and NEW earth, just that earth will be made back like Eden. Those who die lost will be resurrected for their judgment, then cast into the lake of fire to be quickly burned up and blink from existence.  This is what I've gotten from local JW's. The doctrine seems to change often. I guess, like the Mormons, they have a 'progressive revelation'.

This is true to the extreme, Mike. They are adamant that only 144,000 go to heaven, all other JW's get to spend eternity on what they call "Paradise Earth."

This imaginary 144,000 are so special that only they get to actually partake of what we call the Lord's Supper, which they call "The Memorial." At their memorial service no one gets to actually partake of the wine and bread. They pass it out and you are supposed to just pass it to the person next to you. This si  supposedly because no one can possibly know who is of the 144,000, and they don't want to leave out the possibility that one of the 144,000 might actually be in their congregation and therefore worthy to partake of the bread and wine.

They get a tremendous amount of mileage out of the 144,000 that is nowhere to be found in Scripture.

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

This is true to the extreme, Mike. They are adamant that only 144,000 go to heaven, all other JW's get to spend eternity on what they call "Paradise Earth."

This imaginary 144,000 are so special that only they get to actually partake of what we call the Lord's Supper, which they call "The Memorial." At their memorial service no one gets to actually partake of the wine and bread. They pass it out and you are supposed to just pass it to the person next to you. This si  supposedly because no one can possibly know who is of the 144,000, and they don't want to leave out the possibility that one of the 144,000 might actually be in their congregation and therefore worthy to partake of the bread and wine.

They get a tremendous amount of mileage out of the 144,000 that is nowhere to be found in Scripture.

I've thought about going to one of their memorials and partaking, with a knowing smile. Seriously, how could they know otherwise?

Not sure why they would think the new heaven and earth are just the same heaven and earth, but 'fixed'. Don't they know that this earth, and all creation, has been permanently defiled by sin? They MUST be made anew. Even Heaven itself was tainted when Lucifer fell and took some of the angels with him-so there needs to be a passing of the old and a making of a new.  This is the same reason there was no pre-Adamic earth with a gap: because the taint of sin would have been upon that priginal earth, and no 'washing' of it could make a difference. Only by starting with a newly-created heaven and earth could God, at the completion, look at it all and declare it all very good: it would still have been tainted with sin, filled with the bones of the dead, not 'good' at all.

On 4/3/2017 at 9:29 AM, Ukulelemike said:

I've thought about going to one of their memorials and partaking, with a knowing smile. Seriously, how could they know otherwise?

They would know because you are not a JW.

On 03/04/2017 at 7:29 AM, DaveW said:

Basically:

JWs  don't beleive in Hell they say it should read Hades and that is just the grave, which, they say, is what the ancient Greeks believed. which of course the ancient Greeks did not believe. I had quite a long discussion on that with some a few years ago.

More recently, the week before last in fact, I had a knock on the door and there were two young women  who wanted to discuss the bible with me.  They did not offer any literature which was a first but one had the JW bible on a Samsung tablet.  I said I would get my bible and they said which bible was it? and I sad it was the King James.  I can't remember all the conversation as it was rather long, but I asked if they were saved. They said  "We can't be sure".  I answered that the bible says we can, and  the younger one with the tablet quoted John 3:16. I think she implied that you only have eternal life while you believed, but I said, If it is eternal or everlasting, It cannot be everlasting if you can lose it.  

At some time during the converstion, the postie delivered a bundle of Evangelical Times for our churh, and I asked them if they would accept a copy and they said no.  I  said you expect me to read your publications but you won't read mine. They said "WE are firm in our beliefs."  

On 5/2/2017 at 7:41 PM, Invicta said:

JWs  don't beleive in Hell they say it should read Hades and that is just the grave, which, they say, is what the ancient Greeks believed. which of course the ancient Greeks did not believe. I had quite a long discussion on that with some a few years ago.

More recently, the week before last in fact, I had a knock on the door and there were two young women  who wanted to discuss the bible with me.  They did not offer any literature which was a first but one had the JW bible on a Samsung tablet.  I said I would get my bible and they said which bible was it? and I sad it was the King James.  I can't remember all the conversation as it was rather long, but I asked if they were saved. They said  "We can't be sure".  I answered that the bible says we can, and  the younger one with the tablet quoted John 3:16. I think she implied that you only have eternal life while you believed, but I said, If it is eternal or everlasting, It cannot be everlasting if you can lose it.  

At some time during the converstion, the postie delivered a bundle of Evangelical Times for our churh, and I asked them if they would accept a copy and they said no.  I  said you expect me to read your publications but you won't read mine. They said "WE are firm in our beliefs."  

Watchtower literature says that the Jewish faith believed in a common grave (soul sleep), but they were influenced by the Greeks which led to the immortal soul belief.

I have watched several YouTube videos of Christian's attempting to evangelize JWs, and it is unimpressive to say the least. I believe our approach is all wrong. Many Christians start conversations with JWs thinking that if they convince them that heaven is open to everyone not just 144,000, they will get excited and leave the Society. The problem is most JWs DONT want to go to heaven. They want to live on a paradise earth with their resurrected wives, moms,dads, children, etc.. To go to heaven for a JW means you transform into some weird immortal invisible "spirit creature" apart from their families. 

On 5/2/2017 at 4:41 PM, Invicta said:

I would say, at that point, challenge them on whether they actually know their beliefs. I find many, when pressed, don't know and have to go to their extra books that explain why their Bible means something different from what it says. I have dealt with a local JW many times and have found him willing to blatantly lie about their beliefs just so as not to be shown to be wrong. 

On 3/12/2017 at 9:28 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

I accept their literature, and throw it away later so their theological poison doesn't end up in the hands of a biblically illiterate Christian.

They are very nice people and I respect their zeal. They put much of the Christian world to shame when it comes to sharing their message, even though it false.

You mentioned the gang (Governing Body) in Brooklyn, but their headquarters is now in Walkill and Patterson, New York. They sold all their Brooklyn buildings for millions of dollars.

I like the fact that you toss out their literature. it's one of the ways Christians can help. I do this all the time as I see their literature everywhere.

Those in a "works" theology always have much zeal. What they lack is assurance of where they will end up when this life is over. I once spoke with an elderly gentleman who was a JW his whole life. I asked him if he had assurance of salvation. He said: "I can only hope I have done enough." Sad.

On 5/2/2017 at 7:41 PM, Invicta said:

The JW organization forbids its members from accepting non JW literature. Makes it difficult to witness to them one on one as they foist all their material on us

The late Walter Martin had a method that he claimed worked very well. When the JWs came to his door, he would insist on leading a prayer prior to any discussion. Before they even knew what was happening, in the prayer, he actually shared the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I put JW's in the category of a cult. Cults always have distinguishing marks that are dependent on what they believe. For instance, cults always hold to beliefs that are drastically different from what  real Christians have held to for centuries. These differences are things such as; the deity of Christ; the Trinity; the Holy Spirit as a real person;  The  KJV as the Word of God.

But probably the most telling indication of a cult for me is their refusal to use traditional word usage, and having to invent their own peculiar language or words. The JW's are good at this and take great satisfaction in changing the meanings of words and phrases. This is a tactic to confuse the meanings of real words and add to the mind control tactics of the JW governing body.

I'll try to list a few words and phrases that they use that are drastically different from traditional Christianity.

talk = sermon

faithful and discreet slave = first this was their founder Charles Taz Russel, upon his death it became Judge Rutherford upon his death it then became the governing body. Faithful and discreet slave terminology is based on this scripture:  Lu 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?

witness = any time thy see the word witness in scripture they insist that this means Jehovah's Witnesses. This is how they supposedly date their origins back to Apostolic times.

Kingdom Hall = Church.  You will never hear them refer to their Kingdom Hall as a church.

Bible study = actually a study from prepared literature provided to every Kingdom Hall for every service.

These are just a few, i am pressed for time this morning so will end with this observation. In recent times they have made use of computer graphics and actual produced movies.in their study and presentations in their services. A nominal JW will not study the actual bible, but will always turn to the JW website to watch these movies about books of the bible. Other presentations are of a graphical nature, such as cartoon type lessons on certain people, books and subjects.

Edited by Jim_Alaska

The local JWs useta come to my door about every 2 months, and I always welcomed them, told them I'd listen to their spiel, LONG AS THEY GAVE ME EQUAL TIME. Once they were inside, I did as I said, but made sure to stand near my door. {I'm a fairly big dude, & they couldn't push by me easily.) I began by asking them, WHOM DO YOU SAY JESUS CHRIST IS?" Occasionally, one would respond, "the archangel Michael." "Oh, REALLY? Do you have any SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT for that?" They du-h-hd around & couldn't answer. And I pointed out the origin of THEIR "bible"- in 1950, Freddie Franz(who later became the watchtower's big kahoona) & his buddy, a Greek Cypriot named George Gangas, sat down with the British RV of 1881 & re-worded it to fit JW doctrine.It's not a "translation" at all! And, in a Scottish courtroom, Franz admitted that neither he nor Gangas knew any Hebrew & very little KOINE Greek.

I've not had any visits from them for about 3 years now.

One incident that REALLY turned me against them was, in 2000, my wife was critically injured in a schoolbus rollover, suffering extensive internal injuries. It was only by GOD'S will & power that she lived! Several days after the accident, when we still didn't know if she was gonna live, I was walking our dog when a JW pulled up beside me in his car & said, "Do you know what a sinner you are by allowing your unconscious wife to receive blood?" WRONG THING TO SAY TO ME ! ! He saw my face as I was securing the dog's leash to a guy wire & guessed my intent was to yank him outta his car & pound him into the pavement. (He was right.) & he sped off. A coupla days later, one of his cohorts phoned me to apologize for his actions, & I said, "I want nothing to do with you or your cult unless you wanna hear the REAL Gospel of Jesus".  When my wife was better, I studied the Jabroney False Witless cult to learn all I could about it & how to counter it thru the Bible.

I've seen several people in my 'hood leave that cult. I dunno if I had any influrnce on them or not; I just PRAISE GOD for freeing them.

Lately, the jabroney False Witlesses have been setting up easels in public places, holding theit tracts & pampllets, with at least two people attending them. They simply greet everyone who passes. Usually, if I pass them, I return the greeting & say "JESUS is Lord, not the watchtower dudes!" They simply smile.

Maybe I'm speaking in vain, but who knows what the HOLY SPIRIT may choose to do?

When we used to foster children, we had two lads from a JW background.  Social services told us the mother was a devout JW, but   I was told by someone that she had been disfellowshipped..  We were told that we could not take them to church,.  In such cases my wife and took turns to attend services.  On the first Sunday, the elder said "can we come to church with you?"  We didn't have them for very long  but they came with us to church each Sunday they were there.

I hadn't paid much attention to the Jabroney False Witlesses til my wife was almost killed in a schoolbus rollover late in 2000. While she was still on the very-critical list in ICU, a man saw me walking our dog & hailed me; I said sorry, I already had an attorney. He said he wasn't a lawyer, but was from the JW kingdom hall down the street & asked me if I knew what a sin it was to have allowed my wife to have received blood transfusions. That was NOT what I wanted to hear at that time; he saw me tying my dog's leash to a guy wire & figured he'd better skeedaddle. Luckily he did, for I'm not a small feller & I fully intended to yank him outta his car window & let him eat some pavement.

Next day, he called me to apologize. While I'd cooled down, my wife's survival was still questionable, & I told him I wasn't interested in his cult, &, as a former cop I was gonna use my connections to find out how they'd gotten my wife's medical info, and I would sue anyone who'd broken the law to have done so. He immediately said 'bye & hung up. (I found out  that a friend's friend who was a JW had heard it from a friend whom I'd told. I didn't take any legal action, as it ended there.)

To keep a long story short, my wife survived, making about an 80% recovery. (One of the 2 actual miracles I've seen!  Most of her internal organs were injured with severe internal bleeding. Only GOD'S POWER kept her alive! She has COPD as a result of both lungs being punctured.) When I had time, I began to research the JW cult.

Their "bible", the New World translation, was made in 1950 by Freddie Franz, who later became big kahoona of the watchtower, & his sidekick George Gangas, a Greek Cypriot. Neither of them knew any Hebrew or Aramaic, & Gangas knew SOME Koine Greek. Their "translation" was made from the British "Revised Version", a groddy version which wasn't too well-known in the USA. They changed the RV where necessary to make it fit JW doctrine; it's not another translation at all!

Nowhere in a LEGITIMATE  Bible version is there any prohibitions against blood transfusions; the prohibition is against EATING OR DRINKING blood. BIG DIFFERENCE!

They assert Jesus is the archangel Michael! here's what they say:

“Scriptural evidence indicates that the name Michael applied to God’s Son before he left heaven to become Jesus Christ and also after his return” (

Aid to Bible Understanding, Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, 1971, 1152).

Evidently, they missed Hebrews 1:5, For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

THE NWT IS WORDED SIMILARLY! THEY DON'T BELIEVE THEIR OWN BIBLE VERSION ! !

They don't believe Jesus died on a cross because the Greek word translated "cross" in the KJV & most other English versions is "stauros", which is often used for "a pointed, upright stake", and Scripture says in Acts 10:39 & Acts 13:29 that Jesus was hanged on a TREE.(xylos)  That shows they didn't study Greek too closely, as stauros was also used for a crucifixion cross, and about any fairly-large upright wooden structure, pole, or gallows, etc. was called a "tree".  And His cross was T-shaped, not X-shaped, as some JWs say, as Scripture says a sign was placed ABOVE JESUS' HEAD ON THE CROSS. (Not to mention Roman tradition of that time period.)

Shoot, I can post PAGES of their hooey, but I'll stop here. They don't come to my door any more, as I always welcomed them, but said, "I'll listen to your stuff if you give me equal time to present mine", & when my turn came, I'd say, "Please tell me whom do you say Jesus is." & when they finished stammering, I'd read them Scriptures from a REAL Bible telling them who Jesus is, reminding them that was the most-important fact they could ever learn. I never turned any of their "missionaries" away, as I know Jesus died for their sins as well as mine, & that they needed to hear HIS Gospel from someone.

In conclusion: The JW is a dangerous, deceptive, pseudo-quasi-Christian cult that only leads people to hell.

Edited by robycop3