• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jehovah's Witness

• Members

Was tracting today in a very hispanic area and ran into some Jehovah's witnesses setting up at an Hispanic shopping center.  Of course I got the very very very polite.  No thank you to my (our) tracts.  1 Tim 3:16 the way to start a conversation with those people.   They do upset me to a degree because they love setting up in public places distributing their really bad error.  So I'm not kind all the time either.  That gang in Brooklyn has quite a scheme going and I let them know that in no uncertain terms.  What I think of their "organizers"  is not much.

Jehovah's witness's in my opinion are so polite and good in appearance it defies reality.  They kind of remind me of moonies however they are well dressed.  They don't seem to have all that much success however.   You don't run into many of them when your out witnessing.  

• Members

Potatochip is correct.

21 hours ago, Potatochip said:

Jehovah's witness's in my opinion are so polite and good in appearance it defies reality.  They kind of remind me of moonies however they are well dressed.  They don't seem to have all that much success however.   You don't run into many of them when your out witnessing.  

The J.W.s' tend to be polite and try to deliberately to attract folks who have a professed Christian, or religious, background, who are not grounded in the doctrines of the faith. The J'W's normally do not go after saints who are grounded in the faith. They try and attract weak grounded saints, saints who are disgruntled with the church they are attending, or a lot of folks who are only professing Christians.

William J. Schnell was in the Jehovah's Witnesses' for over thirty years and worked himself up to the upper echelon's of the organization. After William Schnell left the J.W.'s, in 1954, he wrote a book, "Thirty Years  A Watchtower Slave." In the book, Schnell says this, "The Watch Tower leadership sensed that within the midst of Christendom were many millions of professing Chrstians who were not well grounded in the "truths one delivered to the saints," and who would be rather easily pried loose from the churches and led into a new and revitalized Watch Tower Organization. The Society calculated, and that rightly, that this lack of proper knowledge of God and the widespread acceptance of half-truths in Christendom, would yield vast masses of men and women, if the whole matter were wisely attacked, the attack sustained, and the results contained, and then reused in an overwidening circle."  (Thirty Years A Watchtower Slave," Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, Michigan,1957page 19). 

The main source of potential converts for the J.W.'s are doctrinaly weak professing Christians.

16 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

They do unfortunately have a lot of success. They now number in the millions worldwide.

Jim Alaska is correct. We meet J.W's all the time while passing out tracts. They will not talk with us much as they want to spend their time and effort on weak professing Christians or those who are disgruntled with a church. The J.W.s will with a very polite smile, once they know we know what we are talkng about, refuse the tract, and walk away. The J.W.s know that for every grounded in the word saint there are multitudes ungrounded.

Edited by Alan
spelling (twice) and grammer

• Members
On 3/11/2017 at 8:10 PM, Potatochip said:

Was tracting today in a very hispanic area and ran into some Jehovah's witnesses setting up at an Hispanic shopping center.  Of course I got the very very very polite.  No thank you to my (our) tracts.  1 Tim 3:16 the way to start a conversation with those people.   They do upset me to a degree because they love setting up in public places distributing their really bad error.  So I'm not kind all the time either.  That gang in Brooklyn has quite a scheme going and I let them know that in no uncertain terms.  What I think of their "organizers"  is not much.

I accept their literature, and throw it away later so their theological poison doesn't end up in the hands of a biblically illiterate Christian.

They are very nice people and I respect their zeal. They put much of the Christian world to shame when it comes to sharing their message, even though it false.

You mentioned the gang (Governing Body) in Brooklyn, but their headquarters is now in Walkill and Patterson, New York. They sold all their Brooklyn buildings for millions of dollars.

• Administrators

Yes, their headquarters was moved very recently. One of the reasons that their agenda may put Christians to shame is that their whole thrust is door knocking and getting their published material in the hands of people.

Their services are almost totally geared toward how to approach people, talk to them, offer bible studies, fish for return visits. It is all an indoctrination process that reminds you of a Mary Kay recruitment seminar.

They even put on "dog and pony" shows during their services where two people will put on a skit, one being the JW and the other being the householder. The whole point of the skit is to show their people how easy it is to approach people and what to say.

• Members

That's true, but in Australia at least that is one of the reasons why people WON'T open the door to you.

As soon as they see you holding something that even looks "Religious" they assume you are a JW or Mormon (another group that is big on this), and over ehre they will not even open the door - or they close it mid sentence once they hear the word "Church".

Their way of going about it has ruined it for us.

We have to find ways around it.

On the odd occasion that we can talk to someone - usually if they are out front gardening or similar - they express relief when they find out we are not JW's.

It is a real problem for many areas of Australia.

But you cannot knock their zeal for their false ways.......

Mind you, if you can knock them off their spiel, you can get them lost and bumbling - but getting them to see their need for salvation is often hard, as they quickly close off and leave if you confuse them.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Their services are almost totally geared toward how to approach people, talk to them, offer bible studies, fish for return visits. It is all an indoctrination process that reminds you of a Mary Kay recruitment seminar.

We had a lady come through our church who had been in the JWs for a while. She and I were out door knocking, and we encountered a polite, but disinterested lady who chatted a few sentences with us. As soon as the door closed, my partner told me that 'she was very interested and we should come back'. It was weird - like the fact that the woman actually spoke to us was qualifications for a return visit. (The woman was definitely NOT interested, btw.)

6 hours ago, DaveW said:

As soon as they see you holding something that even looks "Religious" they assume you are a JW or Mormon (another group that is big on this), and over ehre they will not even open the door - or they close it mid sentence once they hear the word "Church".

Lol... that's the same reason we make sure to emphasize 'Baptist' early in the conversation. People around here generally won't close their door once they've opened it (polite Canadians and all that), but they'll be visibly relieved to find we're not JW/Mormons! :-D

• Moderators

In another post, I was talking about a young couple in our church that had recently had a short text batle with my wife and I. Well we got it fixed, apologies all 'round for us overstepping our boundaires and them getting mad and ignoring my teachings, BUT, in the process, they agreed to attend the local(ish) Kingdom Hall for a meeting, with a notorious JW in our community who really, is a BAD person-not even one of the 'nice' JW's: con-man, smoker, drunk, almost talked me into giving him the five-fold ministry from running his mouth at me one day. So I told them it was a bad idea, but hey, they are grown ups, do as they please. So, Sunday, (and before that), my wife and I prayed for their protection, and that what they had been taught would take hold. I didn't expect to see them for evening service.

However, they surprised me and showed up, and didn't have a single good thing to say about their experience. They said everyone was "really-really nice" (love-bombing, the JW's call it), but they said it was boring-the message was read from a book, and had a follow up for about 1/2 hour from the current Watchtower magazine. I came to find out that, despite their hatred toward the Catholics, they do business almost exactly as the Catholics do: the message is prepared and sent to ALL halls, for use that same Sunday, as well as the reading. There is a question time, but even the answers are very closely controlled and anyone who goes into places they don't want has their mics turned off and they are ignored. If they keep 'causing trouble', they are kicked out. So, praise God they were protected from their own folly and came away with what seems to be a somewhat renewed interest in our church.

• Members

Sometimes I get pretty blunt with them.  Telling them they belong to a cult and are suckers for working for the exclusive group of leaders.  Their real estate holdings are vast.  Asked once I guess Ray Kroc of McDonald's fame said lol I'm not in the hamburger game but real estate.  Mcdonald's has vast real estate holdings.  That gives you an idea in addition to the publishing fees how well that gang of thieves makes out that run the Jehovah's witnesses.  No one is nice like that all the time a lot of that is feigned in my opinion.  

• Members

Getting blunt with them is hardly likely to help them to turn to Christ.  They are told what they have to believe and not to think for themselves.  The main thing is to try to get them to think.  For intance JWs say Jesus is not God.  Ask them to read from their bible Acts 25 "For David says respecting him, 'I had Jehovah constanty before my eyes' "  You could ask them who they thought David was speaking about?  They may say they will have to ask and then return, but that is unlikely, So ask them, "But what do you think?"  if they give an evasive answer ask them to read from verse 22 and say again, who is David speaking about?"  (Jesus the Nazarene)  Ask them againn who they think David is referring to.  Try to get them to think for themselves, don't try to tell them what it means.  And only use their bible.  If you use any other, they will just switch off.   Same with Catholics. I once read a book entitled "The Catholic Bible has the answer" which showed you can preach salvation from their version.  Remember that the KJV is hated and preached against by the RCC,  It is the only version not on sale at the so called "Catholic Truth Society"

• Members

Simply rebuking them spreading their error.  If it was a Hindu I probably would not do that.  Nothing wrong with pointing out common sense things either.  Like they are suckers for the higher ups.   These people are actively out there like Catholics aren't.  Also recruiting lol on my turf too.   The KJV leaves them without much answer also.  I don't use those other versions.

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

Yes, the Public Talk and the Watchtower at the Kingdom Halls are EXTREMELY boring. The Watchtower (Study edition not the Public one) articles are just different stories of the same doctrines over and over. The Watchtower is like reading a third grade level book, and the questions are child like too. It's obvious what the answers are but by getting them to say it out loud is just one of many of their mind control methods. Even the so called "Public Talk" is controlled. The,person giving the talk is given an outline that they have to use. Really the only thing the speaker adds to the talk is his own experiences on whatever topic it is.

I liked your comment of them hating Roman Catholicism, but in reality they are organized very similar. They both have the idea that you can't understand the Bible completely without the higher ranks TELLING you what the Bible says.