• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What are the strong points of the Reformed system

• Members

Here is a question for those who hold a favorable view toward Reformed or Calvinistic doctrine.  If you had to state your two strongest positions concerning TULIP what two positions would they be?  Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace or Perseverance of the Saints.  Please chose the two strongest points and tell me why you hold to those points as being the strongest.

I would like for this discussion to be civil and not condescending or attacking.

• Members
11 hours ago, Orval said:

Here is a question for those who hold a favorable view toward Reformed or Calvinistic doctrine.  If you had to state your two strongest positions concerning TULIP what two positions would they be?  Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace or Perseverance of the Saints.  Please chose the two strongest points and tell me why you hold to those points as being the strongest.

I would like for this discussion to be civil and not condescending or attacking.

For a balanced assessment I would advise a book by Dr Norman Geisler: "Chosen But Free".  He is not a Calvinist but he does try to look for some redeeming features; his view on foreknowledge (see link below) is excellent.  I found it to be very helpful.

http://examiningcalvinism.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/norman-geisler-unconditional-election.html

Edited by The real Bob Hutton
Provided link.

• Members

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:  Deuteronomy 30:19

I choose the Bible: I choose NONE of the "tulip".

• Members

You all miss the point.  I want to speak with those who are tolerant toward Reformed theology.  I am well versed in Calvinism and Reformed theology as I have diligently studied  and written consistently against Calvinism.  But I have learned that a gang mentality against an opposing belief seldom if ever changes someone's belief system.  Being vindictive with our words no matter how right we feel we might be is not a winning strategy.  It does not work for the reformed approach toward IFB nor will it work in our approach to those who are reformed in their doctrine.  Open dialog with apposing views gives an appropriate platform for biblical discussion and can cause a person to consider alternatives to their belief system.

If you hold a positive viewpoint of reformed doctrine please state your two strongest points and why you believe they are the strongest points of TULIP.     

• Members
18 minutes ago, Orval said:

You all miss the point.  I want to speak with those who are tolerant toward Reformed theology.  I am well versed in Calvinism and Reformed theology as I have diligently studied  and written consistently against Calvinism.  But I have learned that a gang mentality against an opposing belief seldom if ever changes someone's belief system.  Being vindictive with our words no matter how right we feel we might be is not a winning strategy.  It does not work for the reformed approach toward IFB nor will it work in our approach to those who are reformed in their doctrine.  Open dialog with apposing views gives an appropriate platform for biblical discussion and can cause a person to consider alternatives to their belief system.

If you hold a positive viewpoint of reformed doctrine please state your two strongest points and why you believe they are the strongest points of TULIP.     

I do not miss the point; by recommending Dr Geisler's well balanced approach I am contributing in a reasonable way to this discussion.

• Members
1 hour ago, Orval said:

I disagree that giving a firm statement is "being vindictive".

vin·dic·tive
vēnˈdiktiv/
adjective
  1. having or showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge.
    "the criticism was both vindictive and personalized"

• Members
5 hours ago, heartstrings said:

I choose the Bible: I choose NONE of the "tulip".

In my New Testament Church, we are for the ROSE and against the TULIP.  The TULIP is not bible.

1 hour ago, Orval said:

I want to speak with those who are tolerant toward Reformed theology.   

Sir, I don't think you'll find anyone here tolerant of error.  All of the regulars here are saved folks and like the Lord, hate evil.